Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw so many of them over the years. Self appointed 🚔, but this is something new.

Merging
Very educational and a must lecture for the ⬆ Tesla driver and all which thinks we need more sheriffs/shEVriffs.
By the way I don't know why but I thought EV owners are more wise.
It looks like not all of us.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Am I right in thinking your lecturing the Tesla owner for straddling lanes while doing the same thing yourself. Pick a lane man and stick to it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I right in thinking your lecturing the Tesla owner for straddling lanes while doing the same thing yourself. Pick a lane man and stick to it.
Am I right in thinking you need to watch the video again or glasses.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Am I right in thinking you need to watch the video again or glasses.
I'm with @Sandy here. Is it because the Tesla started in before the end of the lane? I see nothing wrong with this maneuver.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not really sure what the concern is...if that's the worst thing that happens on Bristish roads this year, we would all be quite happy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That was uneventful viewing!

If the camera car wanted to get round the Tesla and make up a few car lengths before 'merging in turn' at the point where the two lanes converge, there was plenty of room to get past.

I think it's more likely the Tesla driver considered doing that themself, and thought better of it, and yes they could have got back over to the left lane if it was clear that someone was being obstructed by their position. Maybe if traffic was busier, they would have!

It sure isn't clear what the camera car driver intended by staying to the right but keeping in formation with the left lane, unless they just wanted to keep the Tesla in view.

In the circumstances nobody lost any ground, championship points were not at stake, nobody's personhood was insulted etc.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,933 Posts
The Highway Code was not changed to make this compulsory:

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.
Zip-merging is where this is done at the last moment with the road narrowing acting as the Zip. Different sides of the debate argue whether the Highway Code implies getting into lane at the first marking (in this case the loss of the central dividing line and an arrow) or later where the righthand line moves across.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with @Sandy here. Is it because the Tesla started in before the end of the lane? I see nothing wrong with this maneuver.
At the beginning of the video you can see Tesla driver to move across and stay there to stop others to merge in.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
At the beginning of the video you can see Tesla driver to move across and stay there to stop others to merge in.
I'm not sure why but the video did not start from the beginning for me... So, I missed the Tesla stepping out.

Still don't see a huge problem with it (legally), but as @Lutek1000 says, if it was done to block others from doing it... it is just little petty.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
its the standard bullsh*t we get around queuing in this country. The CORRECT way to use the road is to use both lanes upto the merge. These sections are often in place to stop queuing cars tailing out onto junctions and blocking up other parts of the road. However for whatever reason, many folk will queue up in one lane, miles from the merge, leaving the other lane empty. Its perfectly valid and legal to use the empty lane and drive right up to the merge, but in this case the tesla driver has taken the hump with the camera car trying to do that, and moved over to block the lane. In a similar vein you'll get folk trying to block you from merging once you reach the merge point.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The car was probably driving.

Never attribute the actions of a computer to the human supervising it.

Similarly - every time you see weird stuff on the motorway, it’s probably ACC these days.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The tesla was in lane 1, and moved into lane 2 when he saw the camera car approaching to stop it overtaking him.

The car was probably driving.

Never attribute the actions of a computer to the human supervising it.
The car would never have made that lane change on its own.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I’m sure the driver made the change, but if he switched to AP it’d just follow the traffic in its current position.

That said, my Model 3 did a far better job in these situations...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Having said all of that, i'm not actually convinced he was intending to block the camera car. Its possible he went to overtake the queue himself, and the realised it was merging and thought better of it. That said, why not move back left if that was the case?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Probably a mistake. Let’s put the pitchforks down eh.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Its perfectly valid and legal to use the empty lane and drive right up to the merge,
Problem is in both situations, you're queuing in a well behaved fashion in the left lane and some numpty comes storming up the right hand lane and pushes their way into the left. You get a whole pile of these sort of people and no-one in the left lane gets to move. :mad::mad::mad::mad: It's great when a lorry joins the outer lane and stops the numpties and allows the inner lanes to make progress.:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

In Germany it's called Reißverschlusssystem and works very well. Keeps the traffic moving nicely. Why can't we do it here.

Reactions: gofer
1 - 20 of 29 Posts