Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is worth a watch, I think.

It’s actually quite a fair summary, and he’s clearly been let down to some extent by a poor handover from Porsche which didn’t explain some of the basics.

Trouble is, his 2.19M subscribers (125K views in <24h) are probably not going to want an EV for a while. (Most probably wouldn’t regardless, to be fair).

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about it a bit more, it seems fairly obvious to me that he deliberately visited Ecotricity in order to make a point (fair enough perhaps), when he could have just charged at the Banbury Instavolt on the way there as well as on the way back.

He also could have charged up to 80% or so at Instavolt on the way back and avoided the need to stop again at the Shell charger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
This is worth a watch, I think.

It’s actually quite a fair summary, and he’s clearly been let down to some extent by a poor handover from Porsche which didn’t explain some of the basics.

Trouble is, his 2.19M subscribers (125K views in <24h) are probably not going to want an EV for a while. (Most probably wouldn’t regardless, to be fair).

He just doesn't get it does he? Why bother giving him the revenue by watching - leave him to be the ignorant dinosaur that he clearly is.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
To get YouTube views people aren't going to post "I used a BP 350kW charger and all was brilliant" - I deliberately avoid these type of videos.

Reactions: mikegs

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was my first reaction too, and I did avoid watching it at first, but it’s not actually as bad, in the round, as it may first appear or sound.

He is actually fairly knowledgable about some aspects; says the apps etc are a bit of a pain, but that once they are done they are done; says an EV is perfect for people with home charging who do mainly shorter journeys; says Instavolt is basically brilliant etc.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sure most of us made some silly mistakes when first starting out with an EV. It’s just a shame that a) dealers / manufacturers still apparently aren’t doing enough to help educate new drivers, b) that crappy Ecotricity chargers still exist for people to feature in videos and c) that people like this guy broadcast their mistakes to 2.19M subscribers. Hopefully he’ll post a video explaining the mistake he made...not holding my breath though.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reckon it’d actually be better for the public’s perception of EVs and 'the infrastructure' if the Gov’t or someone just ripped out all the Ecotricity chargers...then all the people making these videos would be forced to drive 2 mins up a slip road to an Instavolt / Osprey charger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
I reckon it’d actually be better for the public’s perception of EVs and 'the infrastructure' if the Gov’t or someone just ripped out all the Ecotricity chargers.
But this was user error rather than the fault of the Ecotricity charger. He could have made the same mistake on any charge point offering AC as well as DC.

·
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah maybe in this particular instance, but I reckon the problem is also that it’s old and so, unusually, doesn’t offer CCS - just AC and CHAdeMO. Plus he was put in the position of trying to use that one by the one offering CCS not working...because Ecotricity.

Even if he knew what he was doing, he could have legitimately turned up there trying to use the CCS one and told his 2.2M subscribers about it and that all that was left for him to use was a single, slow AC point.

If they just didn’t exist at all, he would have just videoed himself twice at Instavolt...maybe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts