Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
To be honest, I am unlikely to drive to London again, and I know Canada Water is outside of the congestion zone. Unfortunately, due to traffic conditions, my satnav routed me through the congestion zone. What surprised me was how poor the TFL website is, making it difficult to get understandable information for infrequent visitors. I think that everything they have implemented, ultimately it’s there to gather as much additional revenue, so making it a frustrating and timely procedure, in the hope that people will just pay up, without question. Rant over, move on, and enjoy my i3S. :)

As I said, after this visit, I’m very unlikely to go back. As for my i3S REX, its my first EV car, I choose the range extender, as I didn’t think I could jump straight to a electric only car. I need the confidence to travel to my family and friends, over long distances, so the REX was a good compromise for me. I’m off down to Cornwall tomorrow in my i3S, I know it will take more planning than if I had a ICE. The range extender, gives me a comfort cushion. ;)(y)

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
To be honest, I am unlike to drive to London again, and I know Canada Water is outside of the congestion zone. Unfortunately, due to traffic conditions, my satnav routed me through the congestion zone. What surprised me was how poor the TFL website is, making it difficult to get understandable information for infrequent visitors. I think that everything they have implemented, ultimately it’s there to gather as much additional revenue, so making it a frustrating and timely procedure, in the hope that people will just pay up, without question. Rant over, move on, and enjoy my i3S. :)

As I said, after this visit, I’m very unlikely to go back. As for my i3S REX, its my first EV car, I choose the range extender, as I didn’t think I could jump straight to a electric only car. I need the confidence to travel to my family and friends, over long distances, so the REX was a good compromise for me. I’m off down to Cornwall tomorrow in my i3S, I know it will take more planning than if I had a ICE. The range extender, gives me a comfort cushion. ;)(y)
Yeah whoever TFL outsourced it to isn't doing a good job on that web site :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your i3 and have a great trip. We are going to London in the Zoe on Friday but won't be venturing into the CC but parking at Westfield (Shepherds Bush). So far I've only been into the CC once in almost a year - I might get there soon on work though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
All,
Don't forget the next-to-free parking in Westminster council area for all plug-in cars.

Reactions: ringi

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
All,
Don't forget the next-to-free parking in Westminster council area for all plug-in cars.
Yes, good point but most are limited to 4 hours during day. We sometimes use if going into West End for just the evening and park after 3pm.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, good point but most are limited to 4 hours during day. We sometimes use if going into West End for just the evening and park after 3pm.
Yep - us too. Which is significantly cheaper total cost than taking the train/tube. We actually expect to drive a lot more (our "full-time" EV coming next week).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,614 Posts
I went to visit my nephew today, at Canada Water, in my BMW i3S Rex. I thought my car would be exempt of the London congestion charge, but my nephew suggested I make sure, by checking on TFL website. I was very disappointed to find its not exempt at all, hardly a surprise these days I suppose, but still very disappointing for an EV vehicle. ?
So EVs don't contribute to congestion? They never stop in traffic! Amazing!

Sorry, congestion charge and pollution charges are totally different. BOTH may apply in London, simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Yep - us too. Which is significantly cheaper total cost than taking the train/tube. We actually expect to drive a lot more (our "full-time" EV coming next week).
I won't get train in if staying in London past 7pm. Service to Newbury is c##p outside of commuting hours. As an example, today the 2221 service is cancelled and the 2330 (last train) is bus from Reading!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I won't get train in if staying in London past 7pm. Service to Newbury is c##p outside of commuting hours. As an example, today the 2221 service is cancelled and the 2330 (last train) is bus from Reading!
Understandable!
We live in Zone 2 so public transport works perfectly. Until I factor in just driving an EV in with 2 or more people - cheaper, and would much rather drive than drink!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
All,
May I ask how does it work? Do I have to register, or is it via an app?

This just says need to pay for 10min, doesn't say how the car is distinguished. Does the warden known all types of EV?

·
Registered
428 Posts

This just says need to pay for 10min, doesn't say how the car is distinguished. Does the warden known all types of EV?
Sure
Use the ParkRight app:

This page lists the parking charges:
Look under: "Payment required in pay-to-park bays for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, to secure parking up to the maximum stay"
...which means pay the minimum fee (10mins, so between 28-81pence) and get the maximum number of hours allowed (usually 4 hours from my experience).

There's a PDF map on this page for the parking zones and times:

Which means, you could for example turn up on a Saturday at 10am, pay the low fee for 4 hours and then its open parking for rest of the day and all day Sunday as well.

Parking warden will just enter your registration number to check parking/permit and then not issue a ticket
(your reg. number will be looked up at DVLA and it'll say EV/plug-in, so no charge).

HTH. Enjoy the benefit while it lasts!

Reactions: wyx087

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Yeah whoever TFL outsourced it to isn't doing a good job on that web site :ROFLMAO:
Crapita IIRC. It hasn’t been updated properly in years. (The ULEZ part of the website is much more modern hence the proper vehicle checker etc.)

When I had an Ampera it was registered for the cleaner vehicle discount with no quibbles but the rules on PHEVs have got progressively tighter since. At this rate soon all those Outlanders you see in the zone will no longer be exempt!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sure
Use the ParkRight app:

This page lists the parking charges:
Look under: "Payment required in pay-to-park bays for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, to secure parking up to the maximum stay"
...which means pay the minimum fee (10mins, so between 28-81pence) and get the maximum number of hours allowed (usually 4 hours from my experience).

There's a PDF map on this page for the parking zones and times:

Which means, you could for example turn up on a Saturday at 10am, pay the low fee for 4 hours and then its open parking for rest of the day and all day Sunday as well.

Parking warden will just enter your registration number to check parking/permit and then not issue a ticket
(your reg. number will be looked up at DVLA and it'll say EV/plug-in, so no charge).

HTH. Enjoy the benefit while it lasts!
Thank you very much! Very detailed and much better than their website!

Lastly 2 questions, I promise:
  • "Not Controlled" parks mean not under council control, so I'll still need to pay full price sign posted?
  • EV can park in any bay and only pay the minimum 10min price right? I don't have to go find EV charging spots to enjoy this benefit, when I don't need a charge.

On the moon landing day, 20th Saturday, we went to Science museum. I didn't know about this and paid £16 to park 6 hours in Imperial College, got a free charge though. Could have moved the car during lunchtime and parked a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thank you very much! Very detailed and much better than their website!
No problem
Lastly 2 questions, I promise:
  • "Not Controlled" parks mean not under council control, so I'll still need to pay full price sign posted
Yep
  • EV can park in any bay and only pay the minimum 10min price right? I don't have to go find EV charging spots to enjoy this benefit, when I don't need a charge.
Correct - the next-to-free parking is nothing to do with EV charging. EV charging is actually separate charge with the charge point operator.

On the moon landing day, 20th Saturday, we went to Science museum. I didn't know about this and paid £16 to park 6 hours in Imperial College, got a free charge though. Could have moved the car during lunchtime and parked a lot cheaper.
Be aware that the maximum 4 hours applies to all over Westminster.
One of the reasons they went from completely free to pay the minimum, is because people were parking in one bay for 4 hours and then moving it to the opposite side of the road after that. And without any payment there was no way of proving that they overstayed.

Reactions: proddick and wyx087

·
Registered
234 Posts

Bottom panel of signage is relavant:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bottom panel of signage is relavant:
Useful - thanks

I also just discovered the web based version of the ParkRight app:

Very useful indicating full details on every road available with parking, including % full.

Easily the best council implementation I've seen on this!

Reactions: wyx087

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
And yet Camden offer no discount. Had to pay full cost when I went in to do market research recently and parked nearby. It started at 6pm so at least I didn't have to pay for long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to visit my nephew today, at Canada Water, in my BMW i3S Rex. I thought my car would be exempt of the London congestion charge, but my nephew suggested I make sure, by checking on TFL website. I was very disappointed to find its not exempt at all, hardly a surprise these days I suppose, but still very disappointing for an EV vehicle. ?
Of course it is exempt , it receives Congestion charge discount of 100% for which you have to register with tfl

21 - 40 of 44 Posts