Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Went with PlugInsure with both our cars this month. Most competitive prices we could get and there is cover for cables etc which you don't get with the big providers.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
@Grasshopper They gave me a good quote (inc cables(y)) read the final quote though as they had the Amp down as a 5 seater when I renewed.... Soon altered:) I'd love a 2015 5 seater Volt!!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Mine's insured with LV=. Also got the breakdown cover Britannia) which I've had to use once when bricked on the driveway; As I didn't have home-start cover I thought I was up a creek, but they do a special one-off flatbed recovery for I think £90 which takes you up to 45 miles away. That suited me perfectly, & I'm happy to stay with them. Rates are competitive imho, but check with the comparison sites as that was a bit cheaper for me when my last renewal came up - phoned them to inquire, and got some balderdash excuse about how I was on a different plan with a different broker so hadn't got the latest & cheapest rate. Soon got that one fixed! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
@Grasshopper They gave me a good quote (inc cables(y)) read the final quote though as they had the Amp down as a 5 seater when I renewed.... Soon altered:) I'd love a 2015 5 seater Volt!!
Yeah I noticed this. Raised it with them and they allowed me to amend it before signing the docs and sending back.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm a bit late on here but mine is around £240 with esure.
I also use Adrian Flux for my home build/converted cars and its never over £240 for them either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm a bit late on here but mine is around £240 with esure.
I also use Adrian Flux for my home build/converted cars and its never over £240 for them either.
Thanks Russ, and everyone else. Think I've tried all mentioned, and more now. My Porsche buyer didnt turn up and I got cover with 1 yncd for 285 from Aviva via a quote from their website. So I called them and asked to apply my the 1 yrs ncd to the Porsche and they came up with £350 ish. Eventually I gave them the quote ref for £285 and they applied it to my account. Requested to take my 11 yrs ncd elsewhere (will be Pluginsure) for the lowest by far quote.
@Russ - do you really have all those vehicles listed against your profile e.g. C5?
kindest regards

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Renewed mine with Admiral recently... £295 but I expect that will go up at the next renewal as I have had a couple of claims recently... both in car parks and both at less than walking pace but a couple of thousand to repair each one! The latest one needs a new front bumper and I am waiting it to come from the USA right now. :(

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
@Russ - do you really have all those vehicles listed against your profile e.g. C5?
:LOL: Yes I still have them all but the MGTF and C5 are off the road and Stiga mower currently off the grass. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Was going to convert the MG as they are cheap as chips to buy although it has been used this past couple of years by the kids and 'er indoors.
I have too many cars now so it has become surplus to requirement and will be sold in the spring.
Lovely car and a pity they are not still made.

BTW, I note that your original insurer complained about the extra costs of repairing EV's.
My car had a shunt a couple of years ago and required a rear quarter.
The only extra costs that I could see was the car needing to go to Vauxhall to be disconnected, then re-connected when they had finished.

I had a hire car arranged by the insurance and it cost more than the repair. An awful Nissan Joke that was horrible to drive. The costs were over £5,000 for a couple of months.
Ridiculous and no wonder insurance is so expensive.
I could have purchased a second hand car and sold it for a profit if asked.
I think the price was negotiated down but it just shows what goes on!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
BTW, I note that your original insurer complained about the extra costs of repairing EV's.
My car had a shunt a couple of years ago and required a rear quarter.
The only extra costs that I could see was the car needing to go to Vauxhall to be disconnected, then re-connected when they had finished.
I have the feeling that things have changed a bit now that the Ampera is not sold any more in the UK. My bumper, and on my previous accident by nsf door, all came from the USA as there was no stock in Europe. May have pushed the price of repairs up a bit?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have the feeling that things have changed a bit now that the Ampera is not sold any more in the UK. My bumper, and on my previous accident by nsf door, all came from the USA as there was no stock in Europe. May have pushed the price of repairs up a bit?
This just shows the complete lack of support Vauxhall give this car. It is obvious that fronts and rears will be quickly taken from stock but they don't stock them.

My car took over two months to sort and probably suffered the same delays although my company can send pallets of equipment over to the US and they can arrive on site within a couple of days so I don't accept that parts sourced from the US will take any more time than an extra day or so from Germany for instance.
The worry is that there may well be a limited stock of Vauxhall bumpers etc unless they are identical to the Opel Amp.

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Just as an update to insurance - I've renewed mine with LV and it was within a fiver of last year's quote. No sign of any big increases anywhere, for us at least.

Reactions: Grasshopper

·
Registered
91 Posts
The worry is that there may well be a limited stock of Vauxhall bumpers etc unless they are identical to the Opel Amp.
Pretty certain they are the same. Like most Vauxhalls if you take the badge off the grille you can see the outline of the Opel badge underneath. The only difference is the badge AFAIK.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Renewed mine with Admiral recently... £295 but I expect that will go up at the next renewal as I have had a couple of claims recently... both in car parks and both at less than walking pace but a couple of thousand to repair each one! The latest one needs a new front bumper and I am waiting it to come from the USA right now. :(
My car is in for it's second no fault repair to the rear in three years! :cry:
Just the rear bumper and associated parts this time but still taking 10 days to source from Germany.
My company can ship a pallet of parts to non EU USA and it will often arrive at destination in less than two.

It all adds to the insurance, especially when I get a call a day or so later from solicitors in Birmingham asking about my accident and trying in vain to get me to be checked out for whiplash. It was a slow speed bump for goodness sake.
To top it off, after my final NO to the jerk, he asked if I wanted to get my holiday paid for this year!!!!

Esure are going to get such an ear bending when they next contact me as I understood that passing my details on to ambulance chasers was not allowed these days.
And we wonder why insurance goes up each year.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,394 Posts
Just received my renewal in this year £310 down £9 from last year. This is for up to 30k a year and an excess of £250. I've had 2 no-fault claims in the last 5 years, both dealt with by the other parties insurance company and each costing less than £400.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have just renewed Ampera insurance for first time, I was with Fluxdirect renewal was a bit less than last year until I increased mileage from 7 to 9000 then increased by £100. tried comparison sites but 2 of them started at £400. Problem is now I'm 76 I have completely forgotten everything I have learnt since 1960 when I passed my test, or so it would appear. Anyway I tried NFU Mutual,, their price is less than Flux, includes basic RAC cover ,from 1/4 mile from home., Have always paid annually, but monthly payments at cost, so we have a DDebit set up. Also if you make any alterations there are NO admin fees. AND, I am covered to carry up to 2000 Bullets or Cartridges, that should be handy.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts