Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by Chargemaster that Asda have ev charging. I also read this article saying that 500 stores would have ev charging by the end of 2012

To date, it looks like there are about 20 stores.

How can they have got it so wrong? This totally smacks of a PR stunt to me!

Don't let them get away with it. I've already tweeted them @asda. I suggest we all do the same. Trust me when I say that social media is one of the most powerful tools you have as a solitary individual.

Get tweeting folks!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,673 Posts
If you do find a store with EV charging then, in my experience, they do not actively keep them clear of ICE. They will announce over the PA to ask the owner to move it but no guarantee, just a shame. Also you need to give CM some funds to be able to use the free charging.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The only Asda store I have come across with charging has had the bays constantly ICEd by STAFF!

The bays are beside the staff entrance and so it is ICEd all the time. I have made a polite complaint to the manager who reluctantly said he would get the cars moved, which he did, but the same cars... yes, the very same cars... were back in the bays later the same day! Clearly my comments made no difference so for now I have given up :(

Clearly this is something that needs more than just drivers insisting on it. It needs a corporate commitment from Asda but I am not sure it is there. The posts are Chargemaster and my guess is that CM has sold the benefits to Asda without getting any real buy-in from management and until management genuinely want it to happen, and put in place a directive to store managers, then it won't happen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are 4 bays in the Birkenhead Asda and they are nearly always ICE'd (especially on the weekend) and the parking attendants simply walk on by.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh dear...it's bad enough with lazy/inconsiderate people parking in parent & child spaces.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have to add a small note in defense of Asda here.
I stopped at the two on the same day in my first fortnight of owning the Ampera. The one at Greenhithe had 4 bays Ice'd, so I went to one in Swanley later that day and again all the spaces were Ice'd, but I managed to get close enough to charge for a bit.
I tweeted @Asda who apologised and asked me to talk to the store manager.....
Anyway, have visited the Greenhithe store twice since and all the bays have been free. It turns out a local has an EV and will go into the store and get the manager to clear the bays immediately if they are filled, so the staff (who have a smoking shelter right next to the spaces) always advice ICE drivers to not park there !
So thats a bit of a good result for anyone going near there. :)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I counted 49 stores with EV charge.

I've charged at the Bangor Asda while shopping a few times. No problems so far.
It's a step in the right direction, but still a LONG way off the 500 they promised by the end of 2012.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Tried the one at Asda in Ramsgate today and while both bays were free I was unable to charge the zoe without giving polar network 20 of my hard earned pounds so I shan't be bothering.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
I also have to stand up for Asda Newark. All bays were constantly iced for weeks. I started complaining and the
Very proactive manager arranged signs and they are regularly patrolled. Pretty well always get a bay now.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I also have to stand up for Asda Newark. All bays were constantly iced for weeks. I started complaining and the
Very proactive manager arranged signs and they are regularly patrolled. Pretty well always get a bay now.
I tried to use the Asda Newark chargers, but apparently you need a chargemorester card :(

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I agree that ICE'ing can be a problem at some stores. But let's not bash @Asda too much. Surely we should be challenging the other UK supermarkets to see if they couldn't do better?

I was approached by someone whilst charging at at an ecotricity charge point a few weeks ago. He was keen to understand more and it turned out that he was a director of Morrisons. Needless to say I made a few suggestions....

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you do find a store with EV charging then, in my experience, they do not actively keep them clear of ICE. They will announce over the PA to ask the owner to move it but no guarantee, just a shame. Also you need to give CM some funds to be able to use the free charging.
My "local" Asda (10 miles away,in Enniskillen) has EV charging,which I went along to check out..it would be handy to charge up while shopping..it's a Chargemaster unit,and AFAIK that makes it the most westerly (and lonely!) UK chargemaster point..looking online,I'm not seeing any others nearby except for around Belfast..hardly worth my applying for a card for one machine when it's surrounded by plenty others I DO have free access to..as for access to it,it has 2 parking bays,and the machine is located well away from the front door ( actually near the rear where they have a drive thru type canopy for the "ring and collect" service customers to make their pickup..possibly the last place where those inconsiderate enough to park unwarranted in disabled bays or the pram and buggy access bays would go..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts