Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The beaches on Ireland's Atlantic facing Donegal coast are only about 40 minutes from here,so My sister having a Caravan over there is a nice spot to visit and catch up with her Family when I get time off in Summer.
Donegal Town has a Charging unit,(it says here) so I went for a trip today to check it out,(63.6 mile round trip,from G.Maps)and return via Ballyshannon which is just over the Border from Belleek.It was quite wet today,and on reaching the town and knowing the quayside carpark from before the charger was there,I had to go looking for it. My search wasn't helped by both bays in front of the charger being ICE'd,but at least there was a third bay alongside that the cable would stretch to..the closest (left hand) port was out of operation,and at least the right side port started to charge..before shutting down with an "Over Current" error message..The NI issued Ecar.NI RFID cards will work on these ESB.IE provided machines..:)
I retried hooking up,but on these attempts,the machine just beeped as I presented the card,and did nothing.I couldn't get through to the fault desk to report it at the time..I just emailed them since returning home.
Ballyshannon isn't that far away,so I had enough range to get there,and at least enough to reach Belleek on the way home again,where the first charger this side of the Border is located. B'Shannon worked fine,though!:D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a part 2 to this trip yesterday..the N15 is the main route through this part of Donegal,and I heard the "Twin towns" of Ballybofey and Stranorlar (separated by a river bridge) both had chargers..Castlederg is not far over the border,so I decided to see them..It's a scenic/hilly drive to get there..good for regen,too...Stranorlar's charger is on street,directly opposite Kee's Hotel near the Letterkenny road junction..the charger's nearly too close to the junction,it would be maybe 3 parking spots back from the lights,and the N15 is busy..Got in to find the unit unresponsive... Phoned it in,they had no fix,and couldn't remote start it..asked for the Ballybofey location. "Navenny Street-on street" I was told..this was the street I arrived on coming from Castlederg,and I didn't see a charger coming in. Turns out it's in the Navenny St. Car park (pay and display til 6pm) in behind the businesses fronting the street.A new Lidl store on the N15 in town is by a junction which would be another access road to this park/charger..the N15 from here goes through the mountainous Barnesmore gap towards Donegal town-a nice scenic route! BTW..a charge map user reported in the past week that the Donegal town quayside charger was operational..I didn't stop there this time..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts