Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a cheap-ish EV. I'm changing jobs & my i3 is a company car.

New commute is only 10 miles a day, so just need something for short hops around Oxford. Don't care about battery degradation, or any extras (Bluetooth, self parking, seatbelts).

Ideally I'd like a Twizy with doors & windows - but I don't think they make those? G-Wiz looks flimsy. Perhaps an e2o?

Budget is around £8k - as that's what I reckon a 24 month i3 lease will cost me.

Anyone know of any bargains?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Only now do I realise the folly of installing a teathered Type 2 cable in my garage!
There is a very easy hack to get around this. Saw 13mm off the end of your type 2 end of the type 2/type 1 cable and then it can fit in the tethered type 2 lead like a normal socket, plus you have a cable extension as well!

Attachments

Reactions: Mark Sanders

·
Registered
276 Posts
Or a Mitsubishi I-Mev, small neat and unique the Twizzy has some creature comforts which will be nice in inclement weather!
The iMiev or clone was my first thought too as I bought a 2012 C Zero last March for £5.500. The Twizy involves battery rental.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Interesting, high mileage and very cheap. You are NOT buying a dodgy repaired cat-something from a backstreet garage, but an ex-taxi from a known EV-taxi firm. I think this is a really good way to buy a cheap Leaf. The battery has not yet lost a bar it seems, despite the mileage, but it may happen soon. It seems that age counts more for this than miles. I would expect that this car has been much better maintained than the vast majority of high mileage cars.

·
Banned
326 Posts
The problem with high mileage is the greater risk of high cost repairs.

My understanding is that something a simple as an aircon fault could cost a large amount to repair. Actually everything is expensive to repair on a Leaf AFAIK (non- Leaf owner).

Buyer beware - I would favour low mileage - though with assurance that battery charging has not been neglected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have read recently the number of Leafs needing a battery replacement under warranty in the UK = 0. So depreciation of battery would only effect drivers who get too near the max battery mileage on a everyday usage. I personally do about 50mile round trip so should even in the worst weather achieve this even with depreciation. Other than this your talking AC recharge, tyres, brakes (although 90% of my braking is using the regeneration with 10% hard braking, wipers, what else? Okay electronics failure is something else but there's less here to worry about compared to a conventional ICE car.

·
Super Moderator
7,352 Posts
Interesting, high mileage and very cheap. You are NOT buying a dodgy repaired cat-something from a backstreet garage, but an ex-taxi from a known EV-taxi firm. I think this is a really good way to buy a cheap Leaf. The battery has not yet lost a bar it seems, despite the mileage, but it may happen soon. It seems that age counts more for this than miles. I would expect that this car has been much better maintained than the vast majority of high mileage cars.
Considering a few weeks ago I paid £5k for a 71k mile 2011 gen1 car with one capacity bar gone, this car is an absolute steal.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would probably put in a few cheeky offers on Mitsubishi imevs (or Citroën c0, Peugeot ion). There was an imev on Autotrader for a bit over £4k the other day.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My Citroen C1 cars, £3750 currently a choice of two. Up to 40 miles range. 4 Seats. Cheap parts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts