Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My wife and I had a long weekend in Devon, this weekend just gone.
We made the mistake of driving down on Friday morning. Tom Tom took us across to the A3/A31/A335/M3/A303/A358/M5/A368 to Tiverton and then B roads to my sisters place.
Friday: driving time was 5:09 hours! We stopped twice, once at a GenePoint charger in Wincanton at Morrison’s. Max charge rate was 20kW, which seems to be a known issue with GenePoint & MG. next stop were the Instavolt rapid chargers at Exe Leisure Center in Tiverton, where we walked to Morrison’s to buy food. (Didn’t want to do it earlier & keep in warm car). With the 2 stops it too us 6:50 hours to get there! Just as well we treat the journey as part of the holiday!

Today we came back. It took 3:50 hrs driving time plus a lunch stop to charge at the Shell garage, Andover just off the A303. This time I arrived with 31% and charged to 80% in 29 minutes. As we were not ready to leave, I left it for a little longer. Overall the journey home took 4:37 in total.

Total trip Was 392 miles, average speed 41mph, 3.8 miles/kWh.

Reactions: Carty and Philip T

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,069 Posts
Sometimes it pays to check another SatNav such as google to see if it concurs with TomTom. If you have a passenger, they can do this during the trip. If you then follow google, for instance, TomTom will end up recalculating and following that new route.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I rarely use satnavs. They always seem to take me down single track roads with 60 limits that you can only do about 20 on. :)

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have yet to find something which for me beats abetterrouteplanner.com with the ability to tell it what car you have and what efficiency you expect at what speed, it pretty much has it all nailed for me. Even down giving you the option to say whether your supercharging speed is restricted and will also work out costs. Not sure about other makes but with Tesla you can also login to the car and have realtime updates based on actual data ie SOC efficiency etc.

I also find the routing to be sensible, ie better than the google routing from the car which is to say the least a tad eccentric.

Also as an aside the MG is really growing on my, there is something very Mazda about that 3/4 view in your pic, still think the rear is a little ungainly but if I am sitting in it what do I care!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been using Tom Tom GO Mobile with live traffic on my iPhones for years. I’m very comfortable with it and the traffic is excellent. I ignore it at my peril!

I plan using abetterrouteplanner and PlugShare but as it isn’t CarPlay compliant and it can’t integrate with the MG as it has no app (yet?) I don’t use it for driving, and I don’t have a reliable phone holder yet. However the routing was quite poor and I can’t find an option to find alternative routes.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rarely use satnavs. They always seem to take me down single track roads with 60 limits that you can only do about 20 on. :)
I have been using sat navs for over 15 years and a few hundred thousand miles. I have rarely had a problem like you describe. It depends on how you program it.

I need one for work as it’s too dangerous to use a map. I now only drive 18-20,000 miles a year (the car isn’t used very much) and it saves me hours getting between clients, but I understand not everyone needs or wants one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
With A Better Route Planner and Plugshare you can select your next charger and get directions to it via Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze if you have it installed on your phone. Once set up on the phone, plug it into the USB and select the preferred CarPlay app and off you go. I think that is a kind of integration of sorts.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With A Better Route Planner and Plugshare you can select your next charger and get directions to it via Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze if you have it installed on your phone. Once set up on the phone, plug it into the USB and select the preferred CarPlay app and off you go. I think that is a kind of integration of sorts.
I know, but I prefer using Tom Tom. It’s way better than Google & Apple maps for use as a sat nav in my experience. I don’t like Waze.
So I just put the postcode/address of the charger into Tom Tom and use that.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have been using sat navs for over 15 years and a few hundred thousand miles. I have rarely had a problem like you describe. It depends on how you program it.

I need one for work as it’s too dangerous to use a map. I now only drive 18-20,000 miles a year (the car isn’t used very much) and it saves me hours getting between clients, but I understand not everyone needs or wants one.
Thanks. What should I set my Tomtoms to to avoid this?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Just avoid setting it to 'shortest' route as that will inevitably send you down some country lanes - even if it only saves you a few hundred yards. Satnavs are pretty dumb really and just do as they are told.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,069 Posts
We made the mistake of driving down on Friday morning.
I’m going to Cornwall from east London in August so am interested to know why going Friday morning turned out to be a mistake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts