Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Why not ban everything ? Would that include the ban ?

I listened to a radio 4 programme some time ago. One learned chap said the way things were going everything would be banned......................OR made compulsory.

One piece of legislation I would like to see is "When parliament bring out a new law they have to delete an old one" That would make them think.

Aldous Huxley's "Brave new world" is almost upon us. :(

·
Registered
595 Posts
As a commercial drone pilot I often find myself at homes in Trinity County, CA that are only accessible by rutted, dirt mountain roads. There are many occasions I couldn’t have gotten to a job site without ground clearance an SUV provides.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,433 Posts
Yet almost every single post in this thread so far hasn't mentioned advertising, only banning the vehicle type, you should go back and tell every other poster this too. ;)

BACK ON TOPIC
Not true. I said charge £1M for each SUV advert, then asked what is the legal definition of an SUV. If you can't overcome that simple query then the thing is a non-starter anyway.

Edited; full strike-through. Post was based on a misunderstanding.

·
28,433 Posts
As a commercial drone pilot I often find myself at homes in Trinity County, CA that are only accessible by rutted, dirt mountain roads. There are many occasions I couldn’t have gotten to a job site without ground clearance an SUV provides.
All SUVs?

Not all SUVs have good ground clearance.

Is that your definition, one with more than X inches of ground clearance?

In which case, what is the ramp up and ramp down angles of an SUV. That must matter too for rough terrain.

I am just after some definitions of 'whatever it is' this thread is about.

It's ridiculous, bandying around 'oh this SUV and that SUV' when the term means F-all in a handbag.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not true. I said charge £1M for each SUV advert, then asked what is the legal definition of an SUV. If you can't overcome that simple query then the thing is a non-starter anyway.
Huh? Think you quoted the incorrect person, as I replied about them, replying about you. :)

·
28,433 Posts
Huh? Think you quoted the incorrect person, as I replied about them, replying about you. :)
OK, thanks, sorry, I read 'every other poster', didn't realise that was every other poster excepting me! ;) Nice one!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cars are not great, you may as well ban car adverts...
Of course governments that really want to change stuff create stable long term regulatory environments that promote changes they want to effect. Less headlines and more hardwork, so out of the question in the UK.
SUV is entirely subjective but you could tax cars by weight as well as consumption.
You could stop taxing or subsidise bicycles and public transport.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I don't feel that is the case. This is not how human neutrotypical mentality works.

First down-cry something, then ban the things enabling it, then ban it.

This is the first step to banning them.

OK, if you were to say to me, 'the law bans SUVs but it is explicitly excluded, in perpetuity and binding the hands of any future Government, that no laws will ever be introduced to ban SUVs', then I can look at that again.

But if you still don't accept that, then again don't restrict the freedoms of people who want to advertise, just charge them a £1,000,000 duty on every SUV advert.

It'll be interesting law. I have been curious as to what the definition of an SUV is, and we have had threads about it.

Heck, if you actually now give me a LEGAL definition! Happy days!

What is an SUV?
1. I propose we ban tanks, particularly 'think tanks'.

2. Despite banning tobacco advertising years ago, people are still smoking.
Easy anything over 160g and 4.2m
In fact it's NOT SUV adverts that need banning it's... Its adverts for anything over 160g and 4.2m.

First principles.

Also donald and slippery slope fallacy.... Embarrassing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Easy anything over 160g and 4.2m
In fact it's NOT SUV adverts that need banning it's... Its adverts for anything over 160g and 4.2m.

First principles.

Also donald and slippery slope fallacy.... Embarrassing.
Doesn't your Ampera fail the 4.2 metres test but passes the 160g? I guess. But why 4.2 metres?

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
I don’t think you lot understand what it’s like to do the school run with children these days.

I mean there’s a guy there who turns up in his pearl white Bentayga every morning and evening.

How am I meant to compete with that in the Zoe?!?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don’t think you lot understand what it’s like to do the school run with children these days.

I mean there’s a guy there who turns up in his pearl white Bentayga every morning and evening.

How am I meant to compete with that in the Zoe?!?
You just tell him that he's got a totally unnecessary car, he's the devil's spawn and hand him some Zoe brochures. You're welcome 👍

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Doesn't your Ampera fail the 4.2 metres test but passes the 160g? I guess. But why 4.2 metres?
Meh... Gubmint... But that's the suggestion going around.
And yes.. My car is massive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Meh... Gubmint... But that's the suggestion going around.
And yes.. My car is massive.
4.2m might be a little short considering a leaf is even longer than this, heck even the ID3 is slightly longer IIRC but as most car park spaces are 4.8m long by 2.4m wide maybe 4.8m or at least 5m by no more than 2m wouldn't be a bad thing to aim for.

I know a few reviewers mention that the Tesla Model S is a great car but not for UK roads due to its size and having seen them I'd agree. Fair enough for vans and pickups being bigger and the same for 7 seaters but most cars could easily be less than 4.8m

41 - 58 of 58 Posts