Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me this whole thing is a bit of fledgling mess at the moment, with different cars, even different generations and versions of the same cars, having numerous plugs and plug variations.

Why is this?

Surely it would be better for adoption, and easier to improve infrastructure, if all EV manufacturers agreed on one, two, or three standards (perhaps for regular/rapid ac/dc types) and just stuck with that?

Is this competition above customer care, or are there legitimate reasons for manufacturers, and even regions, seeming content to not agree on a set of standards?

Being relatively new to the world of electric cars, perhaps there's a deeper reason for this or things are already underway to standardise, but it doesn't look that way to me?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should say it's essential. Already it seems that the standard Rapid Charger, the CHAdeMO, is under threat although the EU has adopted it as the standard. Yet the new BMW cannot use it - unless I am wrong on that. How stupid is that. If true it would preclude me from buying the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts