Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear EV drivers,

I am sure that you must be using one of the popular charging apps on the market.

I have observed that irrespective of any situation when you open the app, it always loads the map screen first.

But I assume that as EV driver in most of the situations you want to find nearest charging station and that's why you open the app. So i think there is a need to change the welcome screen.

Based on this assumption, I protyped a welcome screen. I would be happy to receive feedback from fellow EV drivers on the usability of this welcome screen opposed map view.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
You've come up with a good idea. The old Polar app could take half an hour to load the front screen (or not at all).

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
As I would usually be using Zap-Map for finding charging locations, I would only be accessing the supplier specific app when I am at one of their charging points. Therefore the opening screen should offer me a choice of the available charging points at my location (or should ask me to type in the code [or scan the QR code] for the charging point I wish to use). The option of a map showing the location of available chargers should be an optional second offering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You've come up with a good idea. The old Polar app could take half an hour to load the front screen (or not at all).
Thank you very much for reply. That is the kind of use case I was thinking of. It consumes lots of unnecessary data and time if you load up the map when not needed.

What could be a custom preference for you?
I was thinking of also "/kwh" price based stations

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As I would usually be using Zap-Map for finding charging locations, I would only be accessing the supplier specific app when I am at one of their charging points. Therefore the opening screen should offer me a choice of the available charging points at my location (or should ask me to type in the code [or scan the QR code] for the charging point I wish to use). The option of a map showing the location of available chargers should be an optional second offering.
Thanks a lot for your reply. As I understand we are thinking on similar lines with you pointing out additional possibility that will offer the EV drivers a great user experience.

What could be a custom preference for you?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
Not really. It would be enough for me to put in, say, a postcode and it tell me what the chargers are nearby. Doing this without having to load the whole map first would be a lot quicker and a brilliant idea.

Most people have a preference for the network or type of chargers they use. Once you've got them, on your app, to the location they want to search you've done your job. remember the KISS principle, Keep It Seriously Simple, you can't go wrong.

Reactions: rahulbhanu09

·
Registered
Outlander
5,044 Posts
A visual map is a bad start page because it takes time to load - who wants an app that wastes time?

I use the charging apps only. The process is that I login and confirm my car to start a charge. All I want the apps to do is display a list of nearby sockets so that I can select the one I'm at - two clicks from start to finish.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
Yeah, the PodPoint app I use at Tesco loads a local portion of the map, but even that's not necessary. All you need is the name of the one nearest you, so you can confirm it's the one you're going to use.o_O

Reactions: rahulbhanu09
1 - 9 of 9 Posts