Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I live in North Yorkshire and have a daily commute into Leeds of 20 miles avoiding the motorway. I'm interested in purchasing a cheap Leaf to use just for this purpose and keep my Skoda estate to cart the 3 kids and wife about in.
Up the road 80 miles away is a 2011 24kWh Leaf with an asking price under £5k as it would seem to have rather well used battery, which is reporting SOH of 63% and 8/12 bars on the dash and range of 60 miles (but realistically this is 40 to 50).

While in Leeds and at work I should be able to park in a council car park and hopefully plug it in each day, however some days I may not get a space at a charging point.

I haven't seen the car yet but the seller has shared part of a Leaf spy screen shot which I'll attach.

I'm worried that I'd be buying something that may quickly turn into a full time turtle and maybe should give it a wide berth.

I'm guessing it's probably got a lot of dead cells so have asked for a full screen shot. After 70k miles and 3626 charges I would of thought it would be better than this, or is this what most 8 year old 24kWh Leafs look like?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
That's towards the worse end of what they are like, but it is seriously poor and one to avoid I'd say. For around £2k more you should be able to get one with 85% SOH and a lot more life. If for some reason you do want to buy that one I'd suggest its value is below £4k.
Are you willing to share the rest of the image - you've already put the VIN public - and we can see whether the issue is "just" a single bad module?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I suspected it was one of the worse examples and was thinking that if I was to make an offer to buy I would only go to £4k.

And I don't have the full Leaf Spy screenshot, only the top bit which the seller provided (including the VIN). I suspect he has purposely with held the rest of it as it would be ugly reading! (n)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
In which case run away! If you want to throw money away there are plenty of deserving charities that need some - for example lots of food banks at the moment.
You may find that despite the SoH, GOM range, and the bars that it works perfectly for a few miles then the range falls off a cliff and you go into turtle mode. To know that isn't going to happen you need to see a LEAFSpy shot with a low SoC (10% or less ideally) and look for the voltage difference between the cells. The number on the bottom of the screenshot looks like it is in the teens which would be great, but if that is after battery balancing then it is fairly meaningless. As you say, if he will not share then he may have something worse to hide than the SoH. In general Hx is more meaningful and that is shown as 55.69% which is a greater worry.
Even if there are no issues at a low SoC £4k is the right price and certainly not what to pay if you are taking a risk and buying blind.
If you do want to buy a LEAF24 (and they sound good for what you want) then invest in LEAFSpy Pro and a suitable dongle (search on the forum) before bothering to drive to look at other cars.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It's reasonable to get a cheap 24 leaf for that journey - but the cold with heating on is going to hammer the range, so it'll be about half what it reads now, and then less as it degrades over time. So I'd say skip this one and find one with good soh.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
255 Posts
I have 2 of these 2011 and a 2013. my 2011 is upgraded using Muxsan but that cost £5000 and you wont be able to do that as quick as I did due to waiting lists, Coronavirus etc (getting to Netherlands).

My 2011 soh is 75% and in winter this was getting unusable before my battery upgrade.

my 2013 is 22k miles with a much better condition battery. (ex-council) and I bought it knowing the previous ones potential issue inside out.

Also replacing the battery cells in gen1 is problematic, Indra don't hold stock of those old cells only gen 2.
so your option for replacement is whole pack from a wrecked gen2 using a ev odb2 pairing tool from evs enhanced or a muxsan mitm tool off tindie if you are more technically able.

as with most things, knowledge and ability can allow you to improve such a car but definitely at cost. also think about mechanical issues such as wishbone bushes which wear out on these cars at circa the 8 year mark.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
I'd also offer about £3000 as it's basically near scrap level usability wise.

Gen 1 Leafs also have the electronic handbrake which is a small fortune to fix when that goes wrong. Another reason to offer peanuts.

I wonder if it's the old Top Gear one? They found a massively shonky old Leaf with lots of miles and a near knackered battery. If it's the black one owner one the MOT history suggests it's a hound that hasn't been looked after either as well as having a basically duff battery.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
@Edd Beesley also has one - they are not bad cars despite all written above but you need buy one knowing what you are getting into. You did the right thing in asking here, keep in touch.

·
Super Moderator
7,539 Posts
Hi. I live in North Yorkshire and have a daily commute into Leeds of 20 miles avoiding the motorway. I'm interested in purchasing a cheap Leaf to use just for this purpose and keep my Skoda estate to cart the 3 kids and wife about in.
Up the road 80 miles away is a 2011 24kWh Leaf with an asking price under £5k as it would seem to have rather well used battery, which is reporting SOH of 63% and 8/12 bars on the dash and range of 60 miles (but realistically this is 40 to 50).

While in Leeds and at work I should be able to park in a council car park and hopefully plug it in each day, however some days I may not get a space at a charging point.

I haven't seen the car yet but the seller has shared part of a Leaf spy screen shot which I'll attach.

I'm worried that I'd be buying something that may quickly turn into a full time turtle and maybe should give it a wide berth.

I'm guessing it's probably got a lot of dead cells so have asked for a full screen shot. After 70k miles and 3626 charges I would of thought it would be better than this, or is this what most 8 year old 24kWh Leafs look like?

View attachment 128800
It will never do 50 miles, and even if it does 40 miles this winter (questionable) it won’t next year. Mine has 74k miles and down to 7 capacity bars. In winter I’ve got to Low Battery Warning in as little as 20 miles.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
BTW this seller imports used cars from Japan
That explains a lot - the LEAFs in Japan are very expensive in comparison to UK ones and the majority imported (apart from those with the unique styling) generally seem to have batteries in poor condition. You also have to factor potentially the difference in the language on the dash and the infotainment unit, the mileage in km, the fact that the radio and maps will not work, the lack of underseal etc. before buying one. Save up and get a Sunderland built one - it'll be much better value in the long run.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

BTW this seller imports used cars from Japan and is based in North Shields (near Newscastle in the North East of the UK).

You can view the used Japanese car auctions through his website here: Home | BHP Imports | Bespoke High Performance | High Quality Japanese Imports and JDM Parts
I live very close. If you don't get anywhere asking for the full leafspy readings I could go and ask to take a look myself for you, and potentially save you a wasted journey up from Yorkshire if it's as bad as I fear it could be? Even with the 2011 LEAFs which I generally would advise against buying, you could probably do better than this, even without having looked at it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although the people selling this vehicle import used Japanese vehicles, this particular one is UK new and therefore locally built (if you can believe a used car salesperson)

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
Although the people selling this vehicle import used Japanese vehicles, this particular one is UK new and therefore locally built (if you can believe a used car salesperson)
The early models like this weren't made in Sunderland, only in Japan, even if it is UK spec.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
The usual give away is the positioning of the rear fog lamp which on the UK spec cars is in the rear diffuser.
On the basis that it's this car on Autotrader then it is a UK supplied car as advertised, and a high spec. But unless you want to swap the battery or add an extender it is one to avoid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts