Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a Nissan Leaf and have a tethered charging point installed at home (fitted free). My place of work is an 80 mile round trip, and as it is all motorway I've found it's just that little bit too far to get me there and back on a single charge. The cable that came with the car has a 3 pin domestic plug on - which I've been plugging in at work. I've had 100% charge when I've come out of work so got home no problem. I was going to pay for a proper type 2 socket to be installed, but I think my car is a 3.3k battery so wondered if there is any point - or shall I just carry on charging it via plug?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Good question...

Charging at 10A on a 13A circuit is fine for occasional use but for regular use it is always best to get a dedicated charging station. 10A continuous does stress a 13A circuit because it is running at 10A for so long at a time. Things can get very warm even at 10A!

You will hear of many people saying that they only charge on 10A and 3-pin and they haven't had any problems and that is fine... until they do! Of course... they may never have any issues and will use that as evidence that it is fine to use 10A all the time but remember... if you close your eyes and cross the road you may not get run over... it doesn't make it a sensible thing to do though!

I would say that using a 3-pin socket is fine in the short term or for occasional use but if you are regularly charging at work then I would advise getting a dedicated charger.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've recently purchased a Nissan Leaf and have a tethered charging point installed at home (fitted free). My place of work is an 80 mile round trip, and as it is all motorway I've found it's just that little bit too far to get me there and back on a single charge. The cable that came with the car has a 3 pin domestic plug on - which I've been plugging in at work. I've had 100% charge when I've come out of work so got home no problem. I was going to pay for a proper type 2 socket to be installed, but I think my car is a 3.3k battery so wondered if there is any point - or shall I just carry on charging it via plug?
Do you mean "Should I bother getting a charge point installed at work?" If that's your question and you're finding that you're getting a full charge from the 3-pin plug, I'd say no. Apart from anything else, you'll also have to buy a type 1 - type 2 cable (there are lots of people who say you should have one of these anyway, but I haven't and I can't say it's been a problem for me so far. Nice to have, yes, but not essential).

Reactions: nattydread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I generally know the route I'm taking - so don't plan on charging anywhere apart from home and at work anyway.
My wife has a petrol car so anywhere I'm not sure of I will use that.
I purchased the leaf purely to get me to work and back - and work have been kind enough to let me 'plug in' over there to help with my travel costs.
I was more worried about any issues with the battery - does the domestic plug still charge the battery in the same way?
As far as I can see it - this cable is far more user friendly anyway. If i do get stuck near work, I have more options with people helping me out by letting me charge at their house? Or am I missing something....?
Darryl.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
The domestic charger charges in just the same way and you're not missing anything. But as Paul says unless you are sure that the 13A socket and its wiring and the plug on the charger are in good condition you might experience overheating problems. However I charged our Leaf for over two years using a (dedicated) 13A socket and it was fine. Also the early public chargers used 13A sockets -a few still do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts