Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had the email asking me to book a slot for the various software updates, which have been discussed on this forum.

I’m guessing that more dealers will be able to do the updates correctly by now.... due to experience and training.

BUT.... my 12v battery has never failed and I never really use the navigation software. My Kona is a 64kw SE built in Nov ‘18. (It’s a 68 plate car).

So, my question is, should I really bother about having the update or just leave it alone as it’s working so well? My inclination is to leave it, but, of course, if it was my iPhone I’d do the update straight away!!

Advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is this part of the discussed worldwide recall programme of all Kona Evs? If its not, then I'd say wait for that...

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
498 Posts
Is this part of the discussed worldwide recall programme of all Kona Evs? If its not, then I'd say wait for that...
I got my BMS update done the first time I read about it. From what I have read it is an attempt by Hyundai to reduce the likelihood of a fire. Personally I'd prefer to ask my dealer their opinion - then the responsibility is clearly with Hyundai should anything happen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So, I had the email asking me to book a slot for the various software updates, which have been discussed on this forum.

I’m guessing that more dealers will be able to do the updates correctly by now.... due to experience and training.

BUT.... my 12v battery has never failed and I never really use the navigation software. My Kona is a 64kw SE built in Nov ‘18. (It’s a 68 plate car).

So, my question is, should I really bother about having the update or just leave it alone as it’s working so well? My inclination is to leave it, but, of course, if it was my iPhone I’d do the update straight away!!

Think of like an IPhone and get it done, the dealer network is learning and they need cars like yours to practice on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I normally agree - it ain't broken, don't fix it.
But in this case the dealers need to do the updates. I asked mine to delay the updates but they explained they can't - this is the requirement they have from Hyundai and they need to obey.

Hopefully your car will be done correctly (they should know how by now!!) and you may a few tiny perks with that.
Even if your 12v battery behaves ok (I thought the same!) you may one day see dead car.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

Not a Kona owner here, but if your 12v battery fails then it has been left too long I would suggest. Given that a 12v failure is going to leave you stranded, I for one would not be wanting to leave that to chance, or indeed too long tempting fate.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As well as checking main battery cell deviation and improving 12V top-up behaviour, I read somewhere that the update also improves compatibility with the old Ecotricity rapids.
When you get it done, make sure that "Aux Battery Saver +" no longer appears (in the "Other Options" menu) as this indicates a common problem of the updates not all being applied properly - appearently in the Hyundai software, some of the updates appear off the screen, or need scrolling to see them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I got my BMS update done the first time I read about it. From what I have read it is an attempt by Hyundai to reduce the likelihood of a fire. Personally I'd prefer to ask my dealer their opinion - then the responsibility is clearly with Hyundai should anything happen.
..and the chances of the avarage dealer having a clue about it..? Many of them can't even do the update correctly, let alone know about what it actually does.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
BUT.... my 12v battery has never failed and I never really use the navigation software.
The head unit/navigation is a completely separate, optional update and from my own and other's experience the dealers will only do it if you actually ask them to (normally at the annual service).

The BMS, etc, update is a 'recall' type of thing. Deliberately avoiding it could be seen as negligence in the event of a warranty or insurance claim.

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
426 Posts
My Kona is slightly older and I also don't have the "BMS" update, and the dealer has never asked me to bring it in. Because I think it will takes some months to deploy a resolution to the current issue, I think it's worth getting it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts