Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My heavy, boring Audi A6 Avant is due up in December.

I have test driven a Model 3 on two occasions, the last time was 2 weeks ago. I loved it but when I got back into my Audi the build quality was so much better so it threw me.

I've determined that I can pick up a Standard Range on Personal Contract Hire over 48 months and with little going into it so this appeals.

The only problem I have is that when I see a Model 3 they just look very normal and I struggle to get over it.

Ideally I would want to go with a Long Range but the figures don't stack up to make this work for me.

We have chargers at work albeit you have to pay. I would also need to get a wall charger at home and this could be difficult as the consumer unit is at the back of the house and it would mean cabling over two pitched roofs and down into the courtyard to the front where the car would live. I reckon that could set me back £1k for the install.

I want to move over to an EV as it would work with my life & employment situation but there's something telling me to wait and I don't know why.

I have seen the BMW i4 that's due out in 2021 but they don't say when and as aforementioned I'm technically due to change in Dec although could seek an extensio nfor 3 months probably to give me more time.

Any thoughts & advice welcome - Thanks.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,572 Posts
Maybe consider the Polestar if better build quality (perceived, though not yet proven) if a key factor.

Also consider whether Supercharging would be worth sacrificing given your typical usage in order to have better build quality.

Just my thoughts - have not yet so much as sat in a Model 3!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,072 Posts

Try an ID3? You can hire one for a couple of days from the EV Centre if you live near MK. Interestingly in this video, Mat reckons the build quality is worse than a Model 3. Otherwise consider a Polestar or Jaguar ipace. Check out Pivotal for a “try before you buy“.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Various quality and software issues have been reported on the Polestar and it's the same price as the LR Model 3 with less range and performance and no access to superchargers. I've found the Model 3 to be great. What's your pattern?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
We have chargers at work albeit you have to pay. I would also need to get a wall charger at home and this could be difficult as the consumer unit is at the back of the house and it would mean cabling over two pitched roofs and down into the courtyard to the front where the car would live. I reckon that could set me back £1k for the install.
I presume work doesn't give free fossil fuel.
Home chargers are frustrating when the connection is difficult, but by 2030, you are inevitably going to have to do it.
Are you more concerned about the look of the car or its core functionality - non fossil fuel power?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the model 3 performance, albeit on lease. The best decision I've made when considering switching to an EV. Important factors for me were
1. Tesla are years ahead of the competition
2. The supercharger network is amazing
3. The range is just on the cusp where I consider it to be extremely competitive cf ICE cars
4. I have a charger at home and cost me peanuts to "fill" the car
5. Very low maintenance, but I've only had the car a few months
6. Yes the build quality is so-so but mine is well enough put together with none of the horror stories you might have heard from other owners. Not in the league of the Germans but that's my trade off for high tech
7. Driving anything else now seems prehistoric!
8. I knew other manufacturers were bringing EVs soon but how long do I wait? I'd rather enjoy an EV now and being on lease, switch in a few years to a newer tech car with (hopefully) competitive choices from other makers
9. As others bring out their cars, they will ALL have teething issues, just like Tesla did. I'd be amazed if a car came out that hit the ground running. It's new tech for everyone, remember
9. Get one and enjoy the experience!

Of course, these are just my own thoughts and you may have different criteria but I hope some of these points are helpful!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you weren't blown away with first drive I suspect its only going to get worse. The customer service at Tesla is best described as variable, anything out the normal can be a nightmare to sort. There are plenty of jokes now about "within tolerance" as they fob you off saying misaligned panels are ok. So if you've not been seduced by the drive and performance, then there's not a lot else really to shout out about other than the convenience of superchargers if you are going full electric.. Autopilot is all promises and the actual performance has been rated below the systems used by the Germans in a recent NCAP study, and some of the characteristics are dangerous like phantom braking. If you like sitting in the car when not driving then the games and videos etc might be useful.. but who really wants to sit in a car while its charging?

As good as the cars are, and as passionate as many owners are (what would you expect if you ask a bunch of Tesla owners?) they're not for everyone at the moment.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If y Autopilot is all promises and the actual performance has been rated below the systems used by the Germans in a recent NCAP study, ?
The actual performance of the Autopilot was rated well above the others but it was just marked down because of its name.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Why did you choose a "lifestyle" Estate previously but are looking at four door now? Seems an odd change.

I would also need to get a wall charger at home and this could be difficult as the consumer unit is at the back of the house and it would mean cabling over two pitched roofs and down into the courtyard to the front where the car would live. I reckon that could set me back £1k for the install.
Where is your meter box? It is generally better to take the connection from there rather than the consumer unit and the cable run may be easier.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Indeed, the NCAP study actually scored the Tesla highest on both technology and safety, but the name "autopilot" and the need to apply force to take control marked it down. But Jon G's other comments are valid - using customers for quality control is not a usual way for a car company to operate and not to everyone's liking.
However, I would buy one again with the only other consideration being the Polstar. The interior build quality is perfectly acceptable to me, and the minimalistic and technology filled interior is spot on (I drove a new mercedes recently and was horrified with the mess of technology and cheap plastic finishing) but if tech and minimalism isn't your thing then neither is a tesla. External styling is also subjective, model 3 isn't the best looking car but there's a lot of cars I think have got the styling wrong with the new models ... like BMW.
I really enjoy being in my Tesla, and spend quite a bit of time waiting for other people in it (with school collections, refusing to go into another bloody clothes shop etc etc) and do use quite a few of the entertainment features rather than poking at my phone.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a pre-order in for the Volkswagen ID3.... which I cancelled and then put a pre-order in for the Polestar 2....... and then thought about it more... ended up cancelling this too and just bit the bullet and went for a Tesla Model 3.
It was the best choice in the end.
I can see myself becoming a long-term Tesla owner... looking forward to the next Model 3 produced out of the German Giga factory. :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
My thoughts captured here:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all.
Why did you choose a "lifestyle" Estate previously but are looking at four door now? Seems an odd change.

Where is your meter box? It is generally better to take the connection from there rather than the consumer unit and the cable run may be easier.
Thanks - The meter is actually further away and again to the rear of the house so this is worse and a no-no. It's a 3 phase supply however. I'm sure a skilled electrician will come up with something 🤔

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe consider the Polestar if better build quality (perceived, though not yet proven) if a key factor.

Also consider whether Supercharging would be worth sacrificing given your typical usage in order to have better build quality.

Just my thoughts - have not yet so much as sat in a Model 3!
Yeah I did for a nanosecond but just do not like the look of it plus it's expensive in comparison. Reminds me of a car I used to draw when I was 7 !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I presume work doesn't give free fossil fuel.
Home chargers are frustrating when the connection is difficult, but by 2030, you are inevitably going to have to do it.
Are you more concerned about the look of the car or its core functionality - non fossil fuel power?
The look unfortunately. At some glances I like it but for the most I think it looks as if an air hose has been inserted in a frog.....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Do post a link then to the report you are referring to.
NCAP said:
Status information is clear, but the Model 3 does not offer a head-up display showing the system status in the driver’s direct line of sight.

While the Tesla is equipped with an internal camera, it is not used for Driver Monitoring relying only on steering wheel input for driver engagement.

The system resists driver steering input and then disengages, limiting co-operative driving.

Tesla uses map-based speed limit information on highways to manage changes on highways but responds to variable and temporary
speed limit signs only on urban roads
So its not just about a poorly chosen name

1 - 20 of 43 Posts