Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mitsubishi PHEV and a wall mounted home charge unit installed in my garage by Polar Chargemaster four years ago. The home charge unit has just died completely and Polar are quoting £539 for an 'out of warranty' replacement unit including installation.

For the three weeks since the wall unit 'died' I have been using the 13 amp 3 pin plug in 'slow' charge unit that came with the car. This is working fine but now takes 6+ hours for a full charge instead of 3 hours.

Lots of the charger adverts say that you should not rely on a 13 amp plug charger (but they would wouldn't they!). My question is should I pay out £500+ for a replacement wall unit or live with the maybe 1 or 2 times each month that I need a faster day time charge for a second trip out. Most days overnight charging is sufficient. Is there any electrical car useage or safety benefit from having a wall mounted unit?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
353 Posts
Why not buy a second hand unit off Ebay an get a local electrician to fit?

Reactions: Simon..Hewison

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Watch the Classifieds here as well. they do turn up.
Is your Outlander a type 1, the older ones are. Does the outlander charge at 32A or 16A? a lot of PHEV's are 16A and 16Amp type 1 units can be had cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are you with Octopus Energy? Remove old ChargePoint. Get a commando Ohme for £199 using the Octopus offer and stick an interlocked 32A commando socket on the existing ChargePoint cabling. If the cabling cannot support 32A either change existing wiring or ask Ohme to set max charge to 16A. Job done.

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might be able to get it repaired elsewhere for less than the price of a new charger?

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
205 Posts
There is a guy on the GM forum who repairs these (as long as they aren't too bad). Apparently a number of these units were sent out with capacitors soldered on the wrong way round. These caps fail and the unit fails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you with Octopus Energy? Remove old ChargePoint. Get a commando Ohme for £199 using the Octopus offer and stick an interlocked 32A commando socket on the existing ChargePoint cabling. If the cabling cannot support 32A either change existing wiring or ask Ohme to set max charge to 16A. Job done.
Thanks for this, I've signed up with octopus and the new charger has already been dispatched by Ohme!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts