Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Should I go for it?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we test drove the e-niro on Sunday, and I must admit I'm in love. It is quite pricey for us though. Does anyone have advice on whether or not it is worth it? Someone on a leasing forum said my love affair with the car would be over in a week, but I don't think that's true. How are your love affairs going? I have never bought a car newer than 10 years old so I may be able to fall in love other newer cars, but I did really love this one. Should I make it happen or wait?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
You either like it or you don't! Surely that's all that matters.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am on my second EV (both leased PCP) and, while I didn’t mean to get an EV the first time around, I certainly don’t regret it.

The first EV was the right size and range for our needs at the time and the second (e-Niro) improved on the range aspect by some 200 miles or so.

Cost wise, leasing a new EV isn’t cheap compared to borrowing a smaller amount for a second hand diesel (for example) - but even with the smallish number of miles we do each year (under 10000) we were saving money or, at worst, breaking even vs borrowing to buy a circa £10k second hand car.

So it will come down to your personal budget and taste.

PS - I didn’t worry about depreciation on the lease because I had a gut feel that, due to demand outstripping supply, the residual value of my PCP lease would be lower than the value of the car at the end of the 3 years. This was proven correct with my first EV (I was able to walk away 5 months early without penalty due to the car being worth much more than the residual plus outstanding payments).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think it's a great car. No regrets so far.
You do realise there's a massive wait?
Unless you buy @Solarphil 's car in a few weeks time :)
Official kia order?
I used to have a Model 3 reservation, but they're just too expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a great car. No regrets so far.
You do realise there's a massive wait?
Unless you buy @Solarphil 's car in a few weeks time :)
Official kia order?
I used to have a Model 3 reservation, but they're just too expensive.
I'm over in California and I have one reserved coming in two weeks! I also got two calls today saying that there are two different Kia's nearby that each have one in blue (which is what I want), that may sell at any moment, but I could potentially go get one right now... They are both premium though. Did you all get the ex or ex premium? Is the premium worth the price premium?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I'm over in California and I have one reserved coming in two weeks! I also got two calls today saying that there are two different Kia's nearby that each have one in blue (which is what I want), that may sell at any moment, but I could potentially go get one right now... They are both premium though. Did you all get the ex or ex premium? Is the premium worth the price premium?
We only have one option here in the UK, and the spec is different in other countries so can't advise. I've only had the Niro for about 2 weeks and still enjoying it so far but early days for all of us in the UK

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey all, we test drove the e-niro on Sunday, and I must admit I'm in love. It is quite pricey for us though. Does anyone have advice on whether or not it is worth it? Someone on a leasing forum said my love affair with the car would be over in a week, but I don't think that's true. How are your love affairs going? I have never bought a car newer than 10 years old so I may be able to fall in love other newer cars, but I did really love this one. Should I make it happen or wait?
Have you owned an EV before?

If not, you will love EVs anyway and the magic will last much longer than a week. I'm what, 7 years down the line and still in love with electric drive.

The Niro is a fine car.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Ahhh brilliant, in the USA.
As the others have said, we have the "first edition".
It's got most of stuff like leather, lane assist, smart cruise, heated seats etc.
Missing compared to the top spec is vented seated, blind spot detection, heated rear seats, memory front seats and errrr perhaps some other minor stuff.
Build quality seems solid - good thunk on the doors for instance.
I have the blue - it's great but be aware it's very dark blue. Almost black in some light.
It's a major step up from my previous Leaf 30.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not ever had an ev. It was great for the short time I drove it. I am considering getting something cheaper, but I know I won't love it as much as this one. I did appreciate the thunk of the doors. I believe we do get the app, but I could be wrong. Do you have it there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, my last message is waiting to be approved. Why didn't my other messages do that?
Anyways, as I wait for it to be approved, has anyone had any issues that I should be aware of? How is the suspension? A friend just told me she drove in a Kia recently and she could feel every little bump (I think it was a soul). Does anyone know if the suspension is the same as the hybrid versions? She also said her friend rented another kia that she said was pretty crappy and just seemed poorly made. Is that usual for the brand, or are the gas ones much different from the EVs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would say go for it, make it happen, you won't regret it. I would also say go for the top spec and you will have a car that is 'future proofed' for as long as the 7 year warranty! I'm in my third week, 1000 miles and I am still looking for every excuse to drive the car and experiment with settings, displays etc. Also, here in the UK sales of petrol and diesel cars are plummeting and their re-sale value will be low as a result - there will come a point where it will be hard to sell a second hand ICE - don't know if the current trends are the same in the US but it will go that way. Now is a good time to go EV and the Niro is an excellent choice to make the leap.
On the suspension point, I was worried by the comments in some reviews but my experience is that the suspension makes for a very comfortable ride and smooths out all but the largest bumps. Kia started as a brand built to a price and some early cars looked and felt cheap. The Niro is in a different class and my impression is that it is exceptionally well built and with an internal finish close to the upper end German cars - although these things a are a matter of taste.
You are really lucky to be able to walk into a showroom and drive an eNiro away. The wait for new orders in the UK is 12 months or more! I would go and have a few more test drives and you will convince yourself.
Do let us all know what you do in the end.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The ride might be firmer than you are used to, in the UK it is firmer than my experience of Canadian cars, but that is very limited.

But who knows, the suspension set up may be softer for you anyway if the car is built for your market.

If it's avaliable in 2 weeks do you get a chance to drive one further before committing to it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had mine for a month now and can honestly say it's the perfect car for us. I can't think of anything else any car manufacturer could offer for me to change it for anything else. More range? Well, you have 300 miles in the car every morning when you get in it. Faster? It's frighteningly quick if you want it to be. Spacious? Enough room for 4 adults easily and a child. Hatchback and generous boot if you have a dog. It's brilliant to drive just cruising along. Sound system is great. Heated seats and air conditioning are faultless. It looks nice. It charges quickly. Navigation system is simple and easy to follow. One thing I didn't really pay too much attention to when putting my deposit down was the lane assist and cruise/follow system. Just thought it would be a nice to have. However, when we tried it out we couldn't believe how clever it was. It can do A LOT of the driving for you if you want. Really relaxing way to travel!

I think the lifespan of EV vehicles is much longer than ICE cars - the performance shouldn't really change throughout its lifetime. So, I would happily live with this car for the rest of my life! What else do you need from a car?

Looking at it this way, then the initial cost might seem a bit steep. But then that's it. No more big outlays along the line - tyres will probably be the only real expense. I may be biased, but I'm saying it again - in my opinion this car is perfection.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have not ever had an ev. It was great for the short time I drove it. I am considering getting something cheaper, but I know I won't love it as much as this one. I did appreciate the thunk of the doors. I believe we do get the app, but I could be wrong. Do you have it there?
Sadly we don't get the app, it's a major annoyance here! We are kinda hoping we will get one as an upgrade eventually.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sadly we don't get the app, it's a major annoyance here! We are kinda hoping we will get one as an upgrade eventually.
I wouldn't have to be very good to be more reliable than the ones from Nissan or Volkswagen either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow thanks for all your input guys! I am so excited right now. I have been waiting for a few months having put a deposit down at a different Kia, but I found out their price is quite a bit more than the other ones and I found a broker that is able to get me one today. It is platinum graphite, which was my second choice. We wanted the blue, but the graphite is nice too. Have any of you tried it on a windy, bumpy mountain road? We live in the Santa Cruz mountains, so it needs to be able to handle it okay...
If it's any consolation, the app here has pretty bad reviews. Hopefully they will work on it. Someone said their car randomly turned on and started flashing the headlights. I think I rather not have the app if I'd have to worry about that! Does anyone have a photo in decent lighting of the graphite? I can only find computer generated images and ones where it is reflecting the surroundings so much that you can barely see the color.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow thanks for all your input guys! I am so excited right now. I have been waiting for a few months having put a deposit down at a different Kia, but I found out their price is quite a bit more than the other ones and I found a broker that is able to get me one today. It is platinum graphite, which was my second choice. We wanted the blue, but the graphite is nice too. Have any of you tried it on a windy, bumpy mountain road? We live in the Santa Cruz mountains, so it needs to be able to handle it okay...
If it's any consolation, the app here has pretty bad reviews. Hopefully they will work on it. Someone said their car randomly turned on and started flashing the headlights. I think I rather not have the app if I'd have to worry about that! Does anyone have a photo in decent lighting of the graphite? I can only find computer generated images and ones where it is reflecting the surroundings so much that you can barely see the color.
Don't worry about stability. A car as heavy as the e-Niro (or Niro EV in other countries) is not going to get unstable easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the way to test drive it one more time at the other Kia just to be sure. I'm pretty in love with it already though! After the lease I think I'll just buy it. The lease deal let's you get more than the tax credit off cap cost even if you wouldn't be able to use the tax credit. Then there's a local credit union with special EV rates for after the lease. I guess I'm pretty lucky to be in California! I feel bad that so many people have to wait so much longer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts