Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(New member, hi everyone, short term lurker)

OK some back story:

I currently own a fairly high end spec Audi A1, I drive it roughly 10 minutes to work every morning and mostly use it to drive around town. It's dawned on me recently that I have a lot of cash tied up in this car that I'm driving around town in and it feels like a complete waste.

I started to think recently about electric cars and remembered the Twizy from 2012 when I visited a Renault dealership in Norwich. I was really impressed that Renault had the balls to manufacture a car that looked like it had been accidentally delivered from the Geneva Motor Show's concept floor.

So I started to research them, think I've watched just about every video about the car on the Internet...even the foreign language ones.

Test drove one at my local dealership, then test drove it again the following week minus girlfriend in the back. It feels like it's the perfect car for what I need, a tiny city electric car with just enough space for me

Now the biggest bug I have is price, the local dealership luckily has one, 17 plate with full spec but at nearly 9k I think they're taking the biscuit. From what I've seen on the used market I think it's worth closer to 5-6k but I may be pushing my luck?

TLDR: Should I pull the trigger and swap my A1 in for this thing?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hmmm. At around 9k I'd say no, given that's roughly what a (just shy of 3 year old) Leaf just cost me.
I take it the Leaf doesn't appeal? There are some great deals on ones that have come back from their initial PCP.

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the 9k price tag is a joke, I think get the price down.

As much as the Leaf is a great car, it's more of a family car. 99% of the time it's just me driving to work and back.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
Does your A1 have working doors? You're going to miss then if you pay £9k and don't get proper doors...

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The doors on my A1 are in perfect working order.....apart from it being a 3 door and therefore the front doors are like barge boards ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Zoe, driven one and was mighty impressed. Couple of down sides: 1) slightly higher battery rental and 2) carrying around lots of weight and seats that I don't need.

Am I being irrational? I've developed an obsession with excess weight :eek:

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
The doors on my A1 are in perfect working order.....apart from it being a 3 door and therefore the front doors are like barge boards ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Zoe, driven one and was mighty impressed. Couple of down sides: 1) slightly higher battery rental and 2) carrying around lots of weight and seats that I don't need.

Am I being irrational? I've developed an obsession with excess weight :eek:
Strip the seats out? You can pick one up for less than £6k. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
electric skateboard worth a go?

I've been tempted to put some polar points towards a twizzy, at 10 points I imagine far less people put a bit in for that over a model s!

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strip the seats out? You can pick one up for less than £6k. :)
They are a bargain, especially for people like us looking for their first venture into electric cars. Could always do some weight savings, shame it's longer than my A1 though.

electric skateboard worth a go?

I've been tempted to put some polar points towards a twizzy, at 10 points I imagine far less people put a bit in for that over a model s!
What'd you mean by solar points? Sorry, totally new to the eco scene :(

·
Registered
949 Posts
They are a bargain, especially for people like us looking for their first venture into electric cars. Could always do some weight savings, shame it's longer than my A1 though.

What'd you mean by solar points? Sorry, totally new to the eco scene :(
the twizzy is longer than the A1??? well i'll be dammed, probably has more bootspace too ;)

polar has a thing that every time you charge you get 10 points I think, then every month you can submit your points into a raffle for an EV driving experience

EV 7 Day Experience - Polar Plus

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry should have been more specific, the Zoe is longer than my A1. Twizy is one of if not the smallest vehicle on the roads. It's absolutely tiny and means you can squeeze into situations you wouldn't dare to in a normal car (my favourite so far is getting between a bus and on coming traffic on a fairly tight road, normally you'd have to wait, not in the Twizy!)

I see, seems like a good idea to get people to use the system.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,010 Posts
Now the biggest bug I have is price, the local dealership luckily has one, 17 plate with full spec but at nearly 9k I think they're taking the biscuit. From what I've seen on the used market I think it's worth closer to 5-6k
Whether it is £9k or £6k, it is still 'a lot of cash' tied up in a car, and in the Twizy's case a very small, rapidly depreciating one at that.

Your logic is contradictory.

Lease an electric car, don't tie up anything at all!

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whether it is £9k or £6k, it is still 'a lot of cash' tied up in a car, and in the Twizy's case a very small, rapidly depreciating one at that.

Your logic is contradictory.

Lease an electric car, don't tie up anything at all!
Any firms you would recommend for leasing? Never been into that scene always purchased my cars.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I honestly quite like the appeal of a twizzy, I've sat in one but never test driven one, the car throttle video made me want one badly! I spent a long time trying to find a battery owned one, there was a guy exporting them from france with battery owned but they were crazy money

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I honestly quite like the appeal of a twizzy, I've sat in one but never test driven one, the car throttle video made me want one badly! I spent a long time trying to find a battery owned one, there was a guy exporting them from france with battery owned but they were crazy money
Test driven one a couple times now and never fails to put a smile on your face, proper 'back-to-basics' motoring. You can really feel the lightness, 475kg or so makes even a smart car look positively over weight. The lack of windows and HVAC are major hurdles for most UK buyers I should imagine.

You do half get some looks when driving it though, I doubt Ferrari owners get half what I got driving it :D

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,010 Posts
Any firms you would recommend for leasing? Never been into that scene always purchased my cars.
Leasing is quite competitive, shop around. Though, I expect not much market for Twizys so you might be better off asking about a 'pre owned' PCP with the dealer offering the £9k car.

Many of us here have also never previously considered leasing, but at the price they are appearing on the market it makes no sense to buy, it really doesn't, and that's before even thinking about the rapid change of technologies going on.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
How much is the battery lease? It has to be said that's the thing that would most put me off.
Well, that and the horizontal rain coming through the "cabin" in winter!
:confused:

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Get a Zoe and you're switching from JD Power 2016 lowest ranked car to the second highest ranked car (after Tesla S).

·
Registered
955 Posts
JD Power 2016 lowest ranked car
Wow! Really?! What's so bad about it? I can only imagine that people didn't like the lack of doors or something? I mean, I can't imagine they're unreliable (are they?) - I'm struggling to see how the Twizy could really come last. The only thing I can think is that people bought them thinking they were cars, when really they're more of a weekend toy (at least, in this country).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts