Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Should I Pull The Trigger?

5K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Snaxmuppet 
#1 ·
(New member, hi everyone, short term lurker)

OK some back story:

I currently own a fairly high end spec Audi A1, I drive it roughly 10 minutes to work every morning and mostly use it to drive around town. It's dawned on me recently that I have a lot of cash tied up in this car that I'm driving around town in and it feels like a complete waste.

I started to think recently about electric cars and remembered the Twizy from 2012 when I visited a Renault dealership in Norwich. I was really impressed that Renault had the balls to manufacture a car that looked like it had been accidentally delivered from the Geneva Motor Show's concept floor.

So I started to research them, think I've watched just about every video about the car on the Internet...even the foreign language ones.

Test drove one at my local dealership, then test drove it again the following week minus girlfriend in the back. It feels like it's the perfect car for what I need, a tiny city electric car with just enough space for me

Now the biggest bug I have is price, the local dealership luckily has one, 17 plate with full spec but at nearly 9k I think they're taking the biscuit. From what I've seen on the used market I think it's worth closer to 5-6k but I may be pushing my luck?

TLDR: Should I pull the trigger and swap my A1 in for this thing?

See less See more
#7 ·
The doors on my A1 are in perfect working order.....apart from it being a 3 door and therefore the front doors are like barge boards ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Zoe, driven one and was mighty impressed. Couple of down sides: 1) slightly higher battery rental and 2) carrying around lots of weight and seats that I don't need.

Am I being irrational? I've developed an obsession with excess weight :eek:

#12 ·
Sorry should have been more specific, the Zoe is longer than my A1. Twizy is one of if not the smallest vehicle on the roads. It's absolutely tiny and means you can squeeze into situations you wouldn't dare to in a normal car (my favourite so far is getting between a bus and on coming traffic on a fairly tight road, normally you'd have to wait, not in the Twizy!)

I see, seems like a good idea to get people to use the system.

#13 ·
Now the biggest bug I have is price, the local dealership luckily has one, 17 plate with full spec but at nearly 9k I think they're taking the biscuit. From what I've seen on the used market I think it's worth closer to 5-6k
Whether it is £9k or £6k, it is still 'a lot of cash' tied up in a car, and in the Twizy's case a very small, rapidly depreciating one at that.

Your logic is contradictory.

Lease an electric car, don't tie up anything at all!

#15 ·
I honestly quite like the appeal of a twizzy, I've sat in one but never test driven one, the car throttle video made me want one badly! I spent a long time trying to find a battery owned one, there was a guy exporting them from france with battery owned but they were crazy money

#16 ·
Test driven one a couple times now and never fails to put a smile on your face, proper 'back-to-basics' motoring. You can really feel the lightness, 475kg or so makes even a smart car look positively over weight. The lack of windows and HVAC are major hurdles for most UK buyers I should imagine.

You do half get some looks when driving it though, I doubt Ferrari owners get half what I got driving it :D

#19 ·
Get a Zoe and you're switching from JD Power 2016 lowest ranked car to the second highest ranked car (after Tesla S).

Reactions: cah197
#20 ·
JD Power 2016 lowest ranked car
Wow! Really?! What's so bad about it? I can only imagine that people didn't like the lack of doors or something? I mean, I can't imagine they're unreliable (are they?) - I'm struggling to see how the Twizy could really come last. The only thing I can think is that people bought them thinking they were cars, when really they're more of a weekend toy (at least, in this country).

#22 ·
Minimum is £45 a month.

Can't believe they'd put the Twizy in the JD Power rankings, surely it doesn't qualify ;)
Hmmm. I guess £45 isn't *too* bad. But even so, not keen on battery leases.
And I assume it was the Twizy rather than the Audi A1 that was near the bottom of the JD Power survey?
Can't seem to find the list myself.

#23 ·
Hmmm. I guess £45 isn't *too* bad. But even so, not keen on battery leases.
And I assume it was the Twizy rather than the Audi A1 that was near the bottom of the JD Power survey?
Can't seem to find the list myself.
Don't get me wrong, the battery lease is not ideal at all especially considering the milage most people are likely to do in Twizys. But it's our only option so I'm not gonna cry over it, £45 is half what I spend on fuel each month.

I couldn't find it either but I'm assuming from other forums they're talking about the A1, find it hard to believe because it's been the best car I've ever owned, Completely reliable, excellent build quality and pretty decent fuel economy.

Back to topic, I've convinced myself the Twizy is the way forward. One thing I've learnt from posting this topic is there doesn't seem to be many Twizy owners on here :unsure:

#24 ·
Wow the ability to read is severly lacking in this topic. OP said he had a Audi A1, the A1 was ranked worst car in the 2016 JD power survey. Twizy wasn't listed.

So to recap.... 2016 JD Power. Zoe came
2nd and the A1 came dead last. ;)

#28 ·
I have not owned a Twizy but had the use of a couple for a couple of weeks at a time.
Bloody love them.
I think the battery rental is taking the proverbial but it is what it is.
If I had plenty of spare cash I would defo have one in my garage.
Loads of fun and the interest you get driving it is second to none.

#32 ·
I'd really like a Twizy, but not at the current prices. They're so out of sync with the original concept, to the point that it's become a toy for the moderately wealthy car collector.

You aren't going to save anything by buying one for the commute and leaving the family gas-guzzler at home. It's getting to the point where that's true of used EVs across the board TBH; just look at used Zoe prices vs the Clio.

#33 ·
I've always wanted a Twizy ever since they launched. I did seriously look at getting one to keep as an icon of early electric cars... but at the prices they are and the battery lease it is completely out of the question. I might consider it if they do away with battery lease and they are around £5K but that won't happen :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.