Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a few different commercially available and soon to be available Electric Scooters and Motorcycles. I live in an urban environment and would like some feedback from current owners on the topic of charging :)

I am trying to decide on whether or not a removable battery is the best option for me.

If you have experience with vehicles like the Mahindra GenZe scooter, NIU N Series or M Series scooter, UNU scooter, Kymco Ionex, Gogoro, or even fixed battery vehicles like the Vespa Electtrica or BMW cEvolution, please provide your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'm hoping that even for the scooters with non removable batteries, they are still obtainable as expensive spare parts. Maybe is intended to make theft and reselling more difficult.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
I'd have thought there are some obvious advantages to having a removeable battery, it makes charging easier and also makes it harder to steal the bike, with an additional battery you don't even have to wait to charge it up, also makes it easier to replace the battery once it comes to the end of its life.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'd have thought there are some obvious advantages to having a removeable battery, it makes charging easier and also makes it harder to steal the bike, with an additional battery you don't even have to wait to charge it up, also makes it easier to replace the battery once it comes to the end of its life.
Also, if you live in an upstairs flat, you could take just the battery indoors to recharge.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Rubbish, these are electric scooters, not tiny wheel Lime scooters.

Proper sit on n ride scooters.
No need for the "rubbish" comment. It didn't occur to me that these might be Vespa-type old-school scooters. I see now that Vespa was mentioned - I just picked up on the scooter bit. Actually still calling them Vespa is a bit ironic, since I'm assuming the electric version doesn't sound like a wasp any more. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm hoping that even for the scooters with non removable batteries, they are still obtainable as expensive spare parts. Maybe is intended to make theft and reselling more difficult.
Do you own an escooter that has a removeable battery(s)? If so, what was your reasoning to purchase?

Is safety a priority for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call-outs! Do you own an escooter that has a remoevable battery(s) by chance? If so do you also live in an urban environment? And have you dealt with a battery losing its charge? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, if you live in an upstairs flat, you could take just the battery indoors to recharge.
Yes, it would be easier to charge due to living in an apartment... I am curious if you own yourself, and which product out of my list you would recommend assuming I buy an escooter with a removable battery or two. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
847 Posts
its not going to have very long range if it has a removable battery.
but you will be able to charge it at work maybe?
some places are a bit snotty about employees plugging in their own kit.
If i were an employer i would not be happy with lithium batteries being charged in an office.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts