Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Renault zoe now for 7 months,I've done 6500 miles,my battery lease is only for 7500 miles and I pay £70 a month, so I found because it's electric I drive a lot more, if I want to extend the batch release is £98 a month. Nissan said they could properly get me into a secondhand second gen leaf with no battery lease, Nissan are saying they think the price would be a little bit less than my HP for the car and the battery lease so just a little bit less altogether,
So with the Nissan I like the idea of having no battery lease, so I can put as many miles as I like,the downside to the zoe it is very limited on miles in less you wanna pay a lot more money,

Good points for zoe i've had the quoted 130 miles in summer and love the car.

Bad Point I find myself watching every mile I do now.

Nissanleaf
I do like the nissanleaf its very comfortable.
Concerns my girlfriend lives 86 miles away I've done this in a nissanleaf in one-run I was left with 8 miles to spare, and on a testdrive with the nissanleaf I was stuck for two and half hours because the 22 kW charger only gave 7 kW to the nissanleaf as the rapid charger was off line, as I'm use to the 22kw charger giving my zoe a full charge in about a hour so I was a little put of.

I have no idea what to do any advice?

·
Banned
558 Posts
I reckon the Zoe will be hard to sell, with a battery lease. I doubt if Nissan will take a trade in?
Given that situation I would try to get the best out of the Zoe - sanguine that when you do change the performance improvements will be great enough to justify the financial 'hit'!
However, good luck - keep us posted!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Concerns my girlfriend lives 86 miles away I've done this in a nissanleaf in one-run I was left with 8 miles to spare, and on a testdrive with the nissanleaf I was stuck for two and half hours because the 22 kW charger only gave 7 kW to the nissanleaf as the rapid charger was off line, as I'm use to the 22kw charger giving my zoe a full charge in about a hour so I was a little put of.
Remember that you'll need the Gen 1.5 Leaf with optional 32A charger if you want to support ~7kW charging (~3kW is standard). 86 miles is tough for most Gen 1 cars IMO and you'll be dependant on rapid charging so make sure it's reliable on your route.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I am not sure I can give advice as this is all so personal... however, if you could make the Leaf's range and charging options work for you then I get the feeling you might be a lot happier with a Leaf.

I would say a Gen 2 with 7kW and CHAdeMO would be the only sensible way to go IMO as a Zoe replacement.

For what it is worth... from what I have heard from you and others I would not consider buying a Renault EV. They have made a mess of their EV options in my opinion what with the Fluence, the Twizzy (what where they thinking!) and now the Zoe. The only sensible option in my opinion has been the Kangoo. I just don't trust them with any kind of sensible EV offering or support right now.

This is all rather perplexing given that they are effective part of the Nissan-Renault Alliance.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Yer that's the worry, but he said he will make sure it's a Gen 2
That's good... please also ensure that the 32A (~7kW) charger is written into the deal if you need it... ZCW has received several calls from new Leaf owners convinced that the Type 2 cable is faulty only to discover that the 32A charger they thought they had in the car was not part of the deal :(

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are saying the mid range leaf are about 16k depending on mileage. so I think I will have to go down and speak to them. After thinking about it I will be happier with a leaf,as Renault are all over the place. Big shame

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
They are saying the mid range leaf are about 16k depending on mileage. so I think I will have to go down and speak to them. After thinking about it I will be happier with a leaf,as Renault are all over the place. Big shame
Let us know if Nissan are happy to take the Zoe off your hands.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Met a few owners, they love it! I know, weird, but hey, it's their choice and they genuinely love it.
Not saying that those that bought it don't love it! I am sure there is a limited market for any product regardless of what it is.

I am saying though that from an EV and strategic point of view, it isn't exactly mainstream and I don't think it contributed positively towards the rationale for EV take up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Remember that you'll need the Gen 1.5 Leaf with optional 32A charger if you want to support ~7kW charging (~3kW is standard). 86 miles is tough for most Gen 1 cars IMO and you'll be dependant on rapid charging so make sure it's reliable on your route.
The 22kw chargers you quote where are they? How do you charge at home is it still same as a leaf 32amps max?

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's good... please also ensure that the 32A (~7kW) charger is written into the deal if you need it... ZCW has received several calls from new Leaf owners convinced that the Type 2 cable is faulty only to discover that the 32A charger they thought they had in the car was not part of the deal :(
The 32kv option makes a world of difference it's great but as you save you have to pay extra for the option and of course have the right home charger.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The 22kw chargers you quote where are they? How do you charge at home is it still same as a leaf 32amps max?
When connected to a 22kW Charging Station the Leaf will charge at ~3KW (16A) or ~7kW (32A) depending on the charger fitted in the car (~7kW is a purchase option on the Gen 1.5 car only). This is a Leaf limitation not a Charging Station limitation.

That's my point, no point quoting 22kv as it's not home charging.
If you have storage heaters at home then you probably have 3 Phase power at the house and could install a 22kW Charging Station. However, IMO very few people need to charge that quickly at home which is why most people select ~7kW (32A).

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
If you have storage heaters at home then you probably have 3 Phase power at the house and could install a 22kW Charging Station. However, IMO very few people need to charge that quickly at home which is why most people select ~7kW (32A).
That confuses me - I have lived in a number of houses with storage heaters... and none of them had 3-phase.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
That confuses me - I have lived in a number of houses with storage heaters... and none of them had 3-phase.
Conversely, I've had the opposite experience with lots three phase homes. It's a simple guide but clearly not as comprehensive as an electricians survey. Very OT so create another thread if you wish to discuss further :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
When connected to a 22kW Charging Station the Leaf will charge at ~3KW (16A) or ~7kW (32A) depending on the charger fitted in the car (~7kW is a purchase option on the Gen 1.5 car only). This is a Leaf limitation not a Charging Station limitation.

I charge at home 32 amp and out 1 to 3 hour 32 amps is normaly the most or rapid charging 20 or 30 mins, i have 3-phase at home but i am not going to buy a charger no point. So i don't see any difference from a leaf to a Zeo.

·
Registered
77 Posts

But then the Zeo not as fast as a Leaf charging at full rate.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
But then the Zeo not as fast as a Leaf charging at full rate.
The ZOE and the Leaf will charge at the same rate at home on a 7kW (32A) Charging Station. Obviously, the ZOE would charge a lot faster at home if you had a 22kW (32A three phase) Charging Station.

At public locations the ZOE will be faster than the Leaf at 22kW locations. However, the ZOE is probably slower than the Leaf at 'rapid' locations with 50kW CHAdeMO (DC) and 43kW Type 2 (AC). I say probably because their is some anecdotal evidence that the ZOE drives further than the Leaf for the same amount of electricity. It's further complicated by the battery chemistry and charging algorithms (the Leaf seems to be very aggressive in it's charge rate reduction between 80% and 100%). IMO we would need to test the ZOE and Leaf charging side by side to know for sure and that's probably not going to happen :)

I believe that the OP was talking about public charging at a 22kW location so I'm not sure how any of this is relevant. Did I miss something?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts