Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ZOE and the Leaf will charge at the same rate at home on a 7kW (32A) Charging Station. Obviously, the ZOE would charge a lot faster at home if you had a 22kW (32A three phase) Charging Station.

At public locations the ZOE will be faster than the Leaf at 22kW locations. However, the ZOE is probably slower than the Leaf at 'rapid' locations with 50kW CHAdeMO (DC) and 43kW Type 2 (AC). I say probably because their is some anecdotal evidence that the ZOE drives further than the Leaf for the same amount of electricity. It's further complicated by the battery chemistry and charging algorithms (the Leaf seems to be very aggressive in it's charge rate reduction between 80% and 100%). IMO we would need to test the ZOE and Leaf charging side by side to know for sure and that's probably not going to happen :)

I believe that the OP was talking about public charging at a 22kW location so I'm not sure how any of this is relevant. Did I miss something?
My Leaf would charge a lot faster than the Zoe if i had a rapid charger installed at home 3 phase, the public locations are no faster unless the sites are 3 phase. Hence 33amp or to put it another way you can't get 22kv out of single phase electric. Zoe home use and Leaf if fitted with 32amp same out and about Leaf rapid faster charging times.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@garry what you say is correct (assuming your reference to Leaf charging at home on three phase really means 50kW CHAdeMO DC charger) but I'm at a loss to understand your point because afaik @Eunicholas is talking about charging at 22kW (32A three phase) at a public location that has been used with both the Leaf and ZOE previously :)

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
@garry You have mentioned several time 22kv... am I missing something that I don't understand or is that a typo and you mean 22kW.

Sorry... I am not just trying to be clever. I suspect you mean 22kW but I just want to be sure I haven't misunderstood :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was talking about a 22KW public charging post, I use a 32amp wall box at home. I was not taking about rapid charging. But I know on the rapid side of things, me and a leaf driver at Oxford tried a little test, he used the rapid charger and I used the 22KW post and I got 99% charge in 52 min and he toke 56min. I think the 22kw post has a nice power curve.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I think that this is quite possible. I have done a lot of CHAdeMO rapid charging recently as you all know and that means I have observed the power deliveryat various states of charge and it is clear that the power starts to drop off very early in the charge.

This is how I remember it but this is only from memory. I would need to do some proper tests to be 100% certain of these figures...

When the SOC is very low the voltage is about 370V and it starts the charge at 106A. That is it starts at about 40kW... no sign of that 50kW figure.This is the most I have ever seen whenever I have rapid charged.I have never seen anything approaching 50kW!

At about 50% the voltage is up to its max voltage of 392V but the charge current is now down to about 70A so it is already down from about 40kW to about 27kW and it drops progressively and quite quickly from there. By about 80% it is down to about 392V/40A or 15kW and by the time it is nearly at 98% is it at about 392V/4A or 1.5kW when it shuts off.

I have no idea how consistent this is across chargers but it seems pretty consistent from my own observations.

How they say these are 50kW chargers I don't know. Perhaps I am looking at it all much too simplistically... perhaps not. I am no expert :)

I will have to do some proper recording of the voltage and current to be certain of these figures which I shall do the next time I am rapid charging which should be this Friday as I am going from Saltash to Beaconsfield. I shall accurately record the charge progression then :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had my Renault zoe now for 7 months,I've done 6500 miles,my battery lease is only for 7500 miles and I pay £70 a month, so I found because it's electric I drive a lot more, if I want to extend the batch release is £98 a month.
I'm being thick but what does this £98 figure mean ? Is that the new monthly battery lease if you go over 7500 miles or is it a lot more than that ?

Without knowing how it works I'd have thought paying an excess mileage charge would have been significantly cheaper than swapping a new car after 7 months ?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The £98 a month Allows for 12.5k miles a year. But my car is limited to 6000 miles, so even tho I've payed for 7.5k mlies on the battery lease. You still have to pay more because the car is limited to 6000 miles and the battery is limited to 7500 miles and I've already gone over the 6000 mile mark so got to pay for the car and the battery separate, even though I've pay for 7.5k miles on the battery I have to pay hundred and £125 extra for the car to catch up with its own battery mileage on the lease. I'm so sick of Renault and their stupid little price plans.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That's good to know and really quite important when considering a second hand leaf. It's kind of put me off buying a first gen car as I'm guessing most don't have this option.
You'll find it's still a rare option on Gen2 cars as well.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The finance company that owned the battery told me they can remotely turn the battery of from charging if you go to far over the 7.5k miles so you have to phone them up and tell them you going to pay the extra.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looking at the photo of the steering wheel it looks to me as if the ECO button is missing, that marks it as a Gen 1.

In the image below, Gen 1 is on the left, Gen 2 on the right. If you look at the sales listing, assuming the photos are of the actual car, it is missing the ECO button and so has to be a first gen.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Just to be different...!

My Mk1 has the same layout as the one on the left but has the cruise button of the one on the right :)

Does this mean that the one you posted didn't have a speed limiter because with mine I press the left for the limiter and the right for cruise?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts