Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Should I take the free Chargemaster from Renault? (Even though I don’t need it).

• Take the free Chargemaster from Renault

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Don’t bother with it

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault are giving free Chargemaster installation with my new Zoe 50 however I already have a Podpoint installed for my Zoe 20 this past 2 years. I’m the only person in the house with an EV (for now) so don’t need a second charger. Would it be foolish not to take the free Chargemaster even though I don’t need it right now? In case we add a second ev to the house in future or as back up in case of any technical failure with the Podpoint.

Wanted to canvass opinion to help me decide. TIA 👍

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not sure, may soon have the same question. I would then have 2 evs and could have both chargers on at the same time

·
Registered
891 Posts
in my previous house i had 2 chargers one 30Amp none tethered Chargemaster (came with Zoe) and one 16Amp tethered Type1 Rolec I used for the Leaf so why not if it's for free

Now we live in a flat with no home charging and do miss this

·
Registered
634 Posts
Renault are giving free Chargemaster installation with my new Zoe 50 however I already have a Podpoint installed for my Zoe 20 this past 2 years. I’m the only person in the house with an EV (for now) so don’t need a second charger. Would it be foolish not to take the free Chargemaster even though I don’t need it right now? In case we add a second ev to the house in future or as back up in case of any technical failure with the Podpoint.

Wanted to canvass opinion to help me decide. TIA 👍
Take it. you are allowed 2 per house by the DNO.s, for now. Dont forget in future every city / town and village will hit a amperage limit where no more EVSE charges will be allowed until the structural wiring is all upsized and upgraded. At that point they will just say "No", and wont approved anymore until upgrades occur, which could be 2-3 years.

so my advice , like we have done, is get 2 x 32amp chargers installed why you can. Also think of future resale for your property. In 5 years time, potential buyers will want want to know how many EV's can they charge offroad on a house they want to buy. A bit like now, lovely house but cant get 60meg fibre superfast broadband, lets look elsewhere. or 5 bedrooms and only 1 toilet, no ensuites, no thanks.

It will be, cant have 2 x 32amp BEV chargers for until the local DNO stumps up the cash for a village leccy telegraph pole upgrade to the substation, so we will have to struggle with 1 charger between 2-3 of us (adults and teenage kids). no thanks we will buy else where.

It's free, it only enhances the resale and utility of your house for the future, and if you dont jump the queue and grab it now, you may be declined by the DNO in the future.

To me it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I thought OLEV grant wasn't available unless you were having a 2nd EV?
Ive had 2 for ages but didn't go for a second charge point for a couple of reasons.
I'm on a 60 amp incomer and have a very electric based household. Plus I have had extra discounts when changing my cars. Nissan once had a specific discount called No HCU.
Not suggesting this will always be the case, I guess it depends who is putting in the 25% (dealer or manufacturer).

Reactions: Neilew and Geds

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ive had 2 for ages but didn't go for a second charge point for a couple of reasons.
I'm on a 60 amp incomer and have a very electric based household. Plus I have had extra discounts when changing my cars. Nissan once had a specific discount called No HCU.
Not suggesting this will always be the case, I guess it depends who is putting in the 25% (dealer or manufacturer).
Call the DNO have have at least a 80amp main fuse put in for free? I made them come out to confirm my main fuse was at least 80amp. Also, if you are a sparky, a sparky friend who has his own business / staff basically told me if i ever want a 100 amp main fuse, which so far the DNO has refused. He will clip the seal an fit one for free, as long as i never disclose who did it if discovered.

As far as I know, you can have a new OLEV charger per EV bought / leased / PCP to a max of 2 per household. But we went to a two EV family when i had my 2nd installed.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
182 Posts
The details on the website don't go into that much detail but if you're not eligible for the OLEV grant, and it sounds like you won't be, then it probably won't be "free".

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Call the DNO have have at least a 80amp main fuse put in for free? I made them come out to confirm my main fuse was at least 80amp. Also, if you are a sparky, a sparky friend who has his own business / staff basically told me if i ever want a 100 amp main fuse, which so far the DNO has refused. He will clip the seal an fit one for free, as long as i never disclose who did it if discovered.

As far as I know, you can have a new OLEV charger per EV bought / leased / PCP to a max of 2 per household. But we went to a two EV family when i had my 2nd installed.
I was all ready to go on the Ovo V2G trial and my DNO had given the thumbs up to an 80 amp upgrade but its not been an issue in 5 years of 2 EVs.
If ever I need an upgrade I might bring one of these bad boys home from work.

But my days of cutting seals are behind me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really great points folks and very much appreciated. Due to very valid points cited I would have the second charger installed. However the eligibility question is valid. Of course Renault and BP Chargemaster are relying on the EVHS grant...

Homecharger provided and installed by BP Chargemaster PLC and only available for eligible retail customers, please check with your selling dealer for confirmation.... Must meet the qualifying criteria of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme

And of course the qualifying criteria say you can only apply for a second grant if you are buying a second car. You have to prove this by providing the VRN or a copy of your order form from the dealer. At the moment I validly am buying a second ev. I own a 2014 Zoe and have had the Podpoint installation supported by the grant, and, I hold a dealership order form for a second vehicle straight PCP without trade-in mentioned. I do intend to ultimately sell my Zoe 20. But I haven’t decided whether or not I’m selling it privately or trading it in. I may own 2 ev’s at once but it will be for a short period of time if anything. No mention anywhere though that you need to keep the second ev for a min period in the grant framework from what I can see.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,370 Posts
I'm 99% certain that this is correct. I'm sure I wasn't allowed a second charger when I bought my second Zoe. Otherwise I would have had a tethered unit fitted. Probably best to speak to your dealer and see if you can get a discount on the price of the Zoe.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,370 Posts
Really great points folks and very much appreciated. Due to very valid points cited I would have the second charger installed. However the eligibility question is valid. Of course Renault and BP Chargemaster are relying on the EVHS grant...

Homecharger provided and installed by BP Chargemaster PLC and only available for eligible retail customers, please check with your selling dealer for confirmation.... Must meet the qualifying criteria of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme

And of course the qualifying criteria say you can only apply for a second grant if you are buying a second car. You have to prove this by providing the VRN or a copy of your order form from the dealer. At the moment I validly am buying a second ev. I own a 2014 Zoe and have had the Podpoint installation supported by the grant, and, I hold a dealership order form for a second vehicle straight PCP without trade-in mentioned. I do intend to ultimately sell my Zoe 20. But I haven’t decided whether or not I’m selling it privately or trading it in. I may own 2 ev’s at once but it will be for a short period of time if anything. No mention anywhere though that you need to keep the second ev for a min period in the grant framework from what I can see.
Yeah, that looks good and you don't have to declare that the 22 kW would be for sale later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You do have to keep the vehicle which the grant is for, for at least 6 months I think?
Yeah the OLEV guidance notes do mention “for at least 6 months” against company and lease vehicles however no such notes against owning or registered keeper of 2 vehicles concurrently.
id be worried though if I were to end up trading the car in at the last moment and there were to be any “final”checks done, they would catch on the cars weren’t owned concurrently and refuse the grant (which is a post installation application process) at which time the installer would come clack to me for the £350.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I even think they randomly audit installations and eligibility but the chances of getting found out I expect to be tiny.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jesus

The DNO have refused because some incoming cables are not big enough for 100 amps, if you want 100 amps they'd be a cost because of the cable replacement.

Also.... If you've got a 60 or 80 bullet you might have 16mm tails.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Jesus

The DNO have refused because some incoming cables are not big enough for 100 amps, if you want 100 amps they'd be a cost because of the cable replacement.

Also.... If you've got a 60 or 80 bullet you might have 16mm tails.
Not true. WPD have admitted its just not their policy to allow 100 amp fuses without extreme circumstances. Not a cable issue , they have already told me they can fit me 3 phase and take of from cabling 3m from my house front boundry, if i pay £2-3k. Our little private estate was built where an old factory used to be so i assume the 3 phase factory supply and cabling was left in place.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not true. WPD have admitted its just not their policy to allow 100 amp fuses without extreme circumstances. Not a cable issue , they have already told me they can fit me 3 phase and take of from cabling 3m from my house front boundry, if i pay £2-3k. Our little private estate was built where an old factory used to be so i assume the 3 phase factory supply and cabling was left in place.
I deal with DNO'S daily on this very issue. If your max demand is over 80 after fitting a 7kw charger they'd fit a100amp bullet everytime. The only thing stopping them is the incoming cable. If that's the case and you didn't want to pay for a replacement incoming cable theyd insist on a CT clamp.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As to OLEV grant. Went through this when my wife got a Zoe ZE50. We already had two chargers which both had OLEV grants. Had an interesting discussion with Chargemaster who did not understand the OLEV rules (1 grant per EV and max 2 per house). We asked if they would swap out our old Polar charger for a new one. That stumped them...they came back and said that if they did new charger would only work with Renault ! . We did not pursue this as we were almost certain that Chargemaster would not have gone ahead without Olev grant and besides we did not want to be tied to anyone manufacturer. Personally i think that anybody facing the same issue as us should just try and get a discount off Renault (or anybody else who offers a 'free' charger'.)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Our little private estate was built where an old factory used to be so i assume the 3 phase factory supply and cabling was left in place.
Most residential streets have three phase in the ground.

I deal with DNO'S daily on this very issue. If your max demand is over 80 after fitting a 7kw charger they'd fit a100amp bullet everytime. The only thing stopping them is the incoming cable. If that's the case and you didn't want to pay for a replacement incoming cable theyd insist on a CT clamp.
I've heard this a few times with WPD specifically, they seem to have a policy about not doing 100A services.

Reactions: EdH
1 - 20 of 27 Posts