Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Yes. It pains me to say so as they are foreign owned, were already in financial trouble, and were producing environmentally unfriendly and unnecessary vehicles. But the bottom line is that like the Banks in the financial crisis, firms like this are too big to fail.
Of course the reality is that the jobs are in marginal seats ....... :devilish:

Reactions: Mr_G

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
This depends highly on how much of their profits are being processed/taxed in the UK.

If they aren't bouncing thru other countries and are being honest and truthful with their accounts and payments then yes, they could get a bailout with certain conditions, IE maybe the gov takes an ownership stake in them that Tata can slowly buy back but HMG get dividend type payments. In effect becoming a share purchase of the company.

If however they aren't being honorable with their accounts then it becomes dicey water...
Currently they are worth approx £20billion roughly from some things i have seen due to sales dropping for all but the iPace (which they dont even make :D ) and with the current market depression, a purchase of £1billion stock would get you a bit more than 5% of the company i would bet.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It would only delay the inevitable by a bit. Surprised that the Chinese haven't swooped in as they did with Rover.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Currently they are worth approx £20billion roughly from some things i have seen
They are worth precisely nothing. Wrong products (iPace excepted), wrong markets, wrong time. All of the assets are either leased or mortgaged to the hilt. The only reason to save them is to avoid the Political fallout.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
An unholy alliance of failed left wing policies backed by the Unions and presided over by the monumentally incompetent Civil Service. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:
Unions and business support Sunak's 'last resort' bail out plans
Because we are in times of change perhaps a valuation of JLR should be based on its ability to innovate and find a saleable desirable product that is not an ICE tank on wheels. The able engineers and designs might still be there but does the managment fund and support them sufficiently? Many have gone to Tesla. No battery factory, no in-house BEV production, it's not looking good. JLR looks more and more like a lame duck in the evolving auto industry and the government might not get its loan back. A people without vision perish and JLR seems to have no vision.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
the DC100 showed they have lost the plot big time. and it was later than it should have been as well. and the wrong market...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not in favour of loans for any of the companies now in difficulties, regardless of the sector in which they trade. Equity stakes could work as a means ensuring the taxpayer gets an, er, equitable deal...if it is thought they have a sustainable business model.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am not in favour of loans for any of the companies now in difficulties, regardless of the sector in which they trade. Equity stakes could work as a means ensuring the taxpayer gets an, er, equitable deal...if it is thought they have a sustainable business model.
Didn't work out well for the Govt's stake in RBS!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
DC100 was the Defender replacement. As already observed, the wrong product in the wrong segment and way too late.
Tata got lucky when JLR rode the environmentally disastrous diesel SUV boom, but they failed to realise that it would end and now have no products for the market pre-Covid-19 (apart from the i-Pace) and nothing for the post-Covid-19 market.
McLaren likewise has some amazing engineering talent but F1 and hypercars are passé.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As a default, no they shouldn't get a government loan, why should any private company be bailed out?

However, I think there is a strategic case for government loans to achieve a specific purpose, for example in technology that helps the UK reach its commitment of reducing CO2 emissions. That technology can take many forms. JLR would be welcome to bid for such funding, and would be well-placed to make a good contribution in one of the areas where CO2 emissions are still very high.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Because the govt insisted on buying non-voting shares, so they had no say in the bank's recovery.
And the Civil Service knows all about running Banks and car manufacturers profitably. :rolleyes: When Jaguar were last owned by the Government (as part of BL) they performed disastrously and only recovered after being privitised.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts