Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My new wheels...

Traded in my Jag XE and have no regrets at all.
Forgot to mention - it's a Premium SE (ex demo) with 3.5k on the clock, and when I clapped eyes on it, it wasn't for sale.
So what was I to do? Simple, I asked them if they wanted to sell it to me.

Which is why it's now on my drive.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Premium SE
11 Posts
It's the workshop lighting in the picture, the one I have is silver. Also looked at leaf 40 and e-golf but so happy I picked this one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Early present from Santa. One year old i3S 94Ah ReX with 63 miles on the clock. I couldn't resist the temptation to extend out the facility of ReX - as an only car it was either hang on to the old 2014 i3 (27K, no issues since warranty expired) and pray for reliability for 3-4 years or switch up now more cheaply and let the used EV market develop for another 6-8 years.
i3s.jpg

Compared to the old i3 (lovely and geeky) it's a bit too macho looking for me but on first impressions the drive is significantly sharper and goes like smoke-squared in sport. I'm now waiting for a nice dry day to see how much it can be pushed. Loft interior is an old man's style sadly (smash the patriachy), but you can't have everything.

The old i3 held it's value incredibly well, I simply can't believe how little it had dropped in 4 years (BMW sell vs BMW buy) after a bit of haggling, and will make a great car for someone looking to get into EV, I'm sure it'll appear soon on the BMW network for about £16K

SnC

ps forgive the re-pointing of the top 5 rows of the wall in the background, it was my first go with lime mortar.

·
Registered
146 Posts
IMG-20191223-WA0000.jpeg
Here's Groot after a guy pulled out on me.?☹
Should have him back. All shiny.
Got an i3 but not as good.
Small boot. Very odd doors and 4 seat's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I recently moved to the States, and I’ve been wondering which second-hand EV I should buy as my first electric car, primarily in the US. After browsing these forums I figured there are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration, so I collected a couple of questions to any of you who is more experienced than me in the topic. I would be grateful for any kind of assistance about what I need to pay attention to first, and maybe some more specific info regarding:

• Power consumption
• Recharge times
• The quality and reliability of the built-in navigational system
• How precisely can the system anticipate the range I can cover with the actual battery state?
• In general, how long is the battery’s lifespan? Does it degrade fast over time? I’m wondering how much I can trust a few years old model compared to a brand new one.
• What are the options to repair these? Which manufacturers have the best options in this concern?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi @Kevin C. Bolden .

Energy consumption
The amount of electricity the car uses depends on a few things. Much of it's down to the design of the vehicle: how heavy it is, how aerodynamic it is, how efficient the motor is. So you might consume 450 watt-hours per mile in an Audi E-tron, but 250 Wh/mile in a BMW i3. You can also expect around a 30% difference in energy consumption (and range) if the weather's cold, the heater's on and you're driving quickly. They're at their most efficient when driven at 20°C / 70°F between 15-60 mph / 25-100 kmh.

Recharge times
Depends on the car, and where you're charging it. The majority of non-Tesla cars can charge at 50 kW (which means 50 kWh of energy delivered per hour) at a rapid charging station. If the car's energy usage is 300 watt-hours per mile / 3.33 miles per kilowatt-hour, that means 20 minutes' charging gives you around 56 miles.
Teslas charge a lot faster than that. The standard is 120-150 kW, and the latest units can deliver up to 250 kW (briefly) in a Long-range Model 3. There are now a few non-Tesla cars that can also take that sort of power, but the charging stations that can supply it have only recently started to roll out.
So all of the above is with rapid charging, which is how you'd handle long journeys, when time matters. Ideally that should be rare; most charging is done at home. You can install a 7kW wallbox on your driveway, which is slow, but doesn't really matter given that you just leave the car plugged in overnight and wake up with a full battery. Here in Britain we also have a lot of those slow chargepoints at shops and hotels; they tend to be free or very cheap, presumably to attract customers to the venue.

Navigation
Depends on the car, they don't all use the same system. I assume this is about finding a charging point? Well in the case of my i3, the built-in nav is kind of useless for it. I use an external app on my phone called Zap-Map to get info on the power and availability of charging stations, then program it into the nav (or the street, co-ordinates or a nearby landmark if the nav doesn't know the station exists).
Zap-Map is just for charging in Britain and Ireland. I think Plugshare and Chargehub are the most popular equivalents in the US.

Range estimation
Different cars have different algorithms to estimate how your driving style will affect the range; some are better than others but none can read the future. It's called the "Guessometer" for a reason. Generally, if you drive like a nutter then you'll get less range than the estimate, and if you drive like a nun, you'll beat it.
The biggest factors affecting range are: speed, exterior temperature, acceleration, cabin heater, wind/rain, aircon. Roughly in that order, I think.
You'll eat up a lot of range going up a hill, but regenerate some of it when going back down the other side. The car will also be a lot less efficient when you first start it, as it has to bring the battery pack to the optimal temperature. (Best to pre-condition it while it's still plugged in, which you can do via the app.)

Battery lifespan
Every EV has a warranty on the battery pack, usually 8 years / 100k miles. It's extremely rare for batteries to outright fail; instead what typically dictates their lifespan is degradation (loss of energy capacity). That's factored into the warranty, typically covering 30% degradation.
While you're guaranteed to have more than 70% capacity by the end of the warranty, the amount of degradation you will have depends on the type of cooling for the battery pack and the chemistry of the battery's cells, plus a random factor. Ideally you want a liquid-cooled battery pack, which you can find in a BMW i3, Chevy Volt/Bolt, Hyundai Kona Electric, Kia e-Niro and 64kWh Soul EV (not the old one), and all of the luxury cars (Tesla, Jaguar etc). With one of these you should have over 90% capacity at the end of the warranty period, and can potentially last hundreds of thousands of miles. If you experience a problem after the warranty period ends, you can refurbish individual modules rather than the entire battery pack.
The one to really be cautious about is the Nissan Leaf, which has no active thermoregulation, and in the early years it also had some pretty poor-quality cells. Fortunately it actually has a battery health measure built into the infotainment system.

Repair
There are a few independent garages that can work on EVs now, but personally I'd stick with the manufacturer. In Tesla's case you have to stick with the manufacturer as they don't make the software kit available to third parties.

Hope that was vaguely helpful. SpeakEV is generally a British-focused site, so you may not find many resources for US-specific issues.

·
Registered
367 Posts
New to me Soul 30, had it 3 months now and range has been better than I expected at 130-140 winter miles. I really like the light interior of this car and to have heated cloth, rather than leather, seats is brilliant. Along with the heated wheel, pre heat and charge timers it’s serving me well. Looks are not to everyone’s taste but I like them and the price to range ratio seems good value, especially with 5 more years warranty to run.

1081 - 1100 of 1176 Posts