Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Show us your EV!

573K views 1K replies 563 participants last post by  RTR1879 
#1 ·
Thought I'd give this us a shot... how about we share a few pictures of our cars?

Here's my Nissan LEAF, taken this weekend locally, just to get the ball rolling...

Nissan LEAF in the woods
by themullett, on Flickr

Over to you!

See less See more
#223 ·
RX8 all 'stickered up' ready for a round of shows over the next few months

#226 ·
Hi Edd,

The 100 miles is achievable on the trip between my home and workshop and back, 16 miles each way of flat country roads with speeds typically 40mph to 50mph.

Without trying, "normal" use of town, country and motorway mixed gets me a safe 70 miles.

#229 · (Edited)
Hi,
Yes it's 6 modules more than in the Leaf. If I recall correctly the cars weight comes in at around 1150Kg, so much lighter than the Leaf, but in its favour are better aerodynamics and regen.

I'm not sure how my range compares to the "real world" experience of Leaf owners in similar useage.

I could actually do more range, but keep well away from both the top and bottom of the pack voltage range for battery longevity :) I only charge to 4.15v per cell as opposed to the Leafs 4.2v and stop at 150Ah out of the triple module stacks (180Ah+ nominal)

#232 ·
Ah yes, did not think about regen. Maybe you can do some aero mods to the car :)

You sound like a GM engineer with taking care of the battery - are you going to reuse the radiator to provide some thermal management for your pack :)
Not worried about increasing the range, it's more than enough for my usage pattern :)

I don't need thermal management to be honest, the batteries never increase in temperature during use so don't need cooling. Mind you maximum current pull is only 2.78C (500A) so they don't really work very hard!

#233 ·
Hi Mooncat, Hmm... "I won't ask about your choice of vehicle". I hope you're not one of those Skoda basher types from the 80's/90's...they don't rust as much as those old MGB's you know ;)

Mine runs a manual box, you can keep the clutch or even go clutchless with a manual, (mine's clutchless, the synchros cope just fine with the extra, very small rotating mass of the motor armature)

Total cost was around £10,000, that was with self building the controller & DC/DC, getting a liquidation battery pack and rebuilding and modifying an old motor. If you want new out of the box components, it would be closer to £16,000 for a similar DC system, two or three grand more for AC. Mind you, when I started in 2008, there were no OEM EV's worth having. A crash damaged Leaf would make an excellent donor for an AC build now and can be had for about £5K.

#248 ·
View attachment 3173 Well here's Fitz enjoying his first public charge at my local IKEA (I say local, it's about 15 miles away). Free charging and a free coffee while you wait, very civilised.
The setup at IKEA Birmingham is the same - two bays nose to nose, at the end of a row, with a large pavement area to one side. The big question is... if you found these bays blocked would you be bold enough to mount the kerb and park on the wood chippings in order to reach it?