Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have decided to be proactive regarding the lack of public charging in Shropshire.

I work for the council in community mental health. So decided to use this as a starting point.

Have learned there is something called the Shropshire Sustainable Project and made initial contact today. Arranged to call in on Thursday.

What I learned in my brief phone call today was.

1.) They are looking at public charging for ev's in Shropshire.

2.) They were unaware till I told them of our public charging posts through Chargemaster at Asda in Shrewsbury. Or of how rarely they worked.

3.) Shropshire Council Officers had expressed a wish for there to be no cost to them for electricity or maintainance.

4.) They have worked a little with a local environmental group Stretton Climate Care - I am sure the approach came from the group on public charging. Through this they have some awareness of Zero Net and a hope to encourage this kind of public charging.

5.) The idea that the new planned Waitrose for Shrewsbury might be persuaded to have public charging was not new to them.

6.) They seemed to me to have a very hazy idea of what the different charging rates and options were.

7.) While they were aware of the EC plan to connect Holyhead with Felixstowe with rapid chargers they seemed unaware that there is funding with it...have I got this right? This is significant as Shropshire is on the route of the A5...the boat road.

What I hope to explore with them on Thursday is

1.) Educate them on my end user experience.

2.) Explore with them possibilities for sourcing funding for rapid chargers in Shropshire. The new Waitrose may be one option. Planned site is adjacent to the A5 through Shrewsbury. Dobbies Garden Centre have supported ev's elsewhere. They have a big store on a 24 hour services on the A5/A49 junction.

3.) Explore with them sourcing charging from a local company. Charging Solutions are based on the Shropshire / Wales border. And can supply rapid chargers that charge all cars inc ccs.

4.) Explore how businesses in the hotel and leisure sector can be made aware of the opportunities to them of providing ev charging....particularly when with donated chargers from Zero Carbon World.

5.) Spread awareness of how public and rapid charging helps local ev dealers. In a record month for Leaf sales in January Shrewsbury Nissan report poor sales.

Have other thoughts to add. But for now would hope for some specific thoughts on what questions to ask / things to suggest to support Shropshire Council to be part of greater public ev charging resources and ev take up.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jason! I might have parked next to you last week! Use Greenhous almost daily. Can be tricky to get in there as demo cars often parked there they are disability bays too....but you already know this!

You are mostly right. While there are Chargemaster posts at Asda in town they have not been working for some time for me.

There are one or two zero net posts near Shrewsbury you might want to keep in mind. Hawkestone Park. A golf course near by as well.

At the meeting I had was told that pressure had been felt about the lack of charging in Shropshire and there were plans and some funding to put some in. As an end user I was surprised by the lack of local knowledge of existing provision or of any sign of knowledge of what charging standards are in place. At their request I followed up our conversation with an email of my experience and things I feel I have learned.

Will follow up and post back.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah...there is a 13 amp point AT the Shirehall. I persuaded the council to put it in some years ago when I drove a berlingo electrique. It is outside the teachers resource centre and is on a timer for office hours. Look for the grey box on the wall. Is unlocked but unsigned. You might want to get a permit as will be on yellow crossed lines...to be honest I rarely bothered but was some years since I last used it. It was explicitly designed to be used by any electric vehicle driver when installed.

If further interested in the council re evs have a contact I can message to you.

·
Banned
558 Posts
..At the meeting I had was told that pressure had been felt about the lack of charging in Shropshire and there were plans and some funding to put some in. As an end user I was surprised by the lack of local knowledge ...
Quite a revelation - I find it hard to believe that the documentation sent out by DfT, OLEV etc. wasn't identical for all counties? Maybe you need to try and target some councillors with approprate refit (environment, transport etc) and try and buddy up to them. Its one thing to advise civle servants, but in the end its votes in the chamber taht get things done!

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am sure it was Brian! Have had it suggested from someone from the Low Carbon Vehicles Group that Shropshire missed the boat on funding.

The pressure I think has come from a Shropshire voluntary group speaking to their MP who has presumably then spoken to the Council. The Civil Servant told me the council are keen to avoid ongoing expense such as maintenance or paying for the leccy.

The fund is called The Shropshire Sustainable Transport Fund, which is actually central government funding given to local authourities. http://shropshire.gov.uk/public-and-passenger-transport/local-transport-plan/shropshire-sustainable-transport-fund/

In looking at the bid just submitted they have requested funding for electric car charging points. If the bid is successful they will be tendering in the summer.

Is there an opportunity for Zero Carbon World or similar to tender? I know it may not be the model. But would prefer to see those posts in place and happy to use businesses that host them.

Brian probably won't approach councillors myself as am technically one of their civil servants myself and not a resident of the area.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Steve, I scan-read the linked document and clearly the funding for EV charging is only one of many, many priorities. It is hard to see how external influnce could possible influence the decision making and they make be lots of soft-solutions, to carbon reduction, that can be deemed more cost-effective.
As for the procurement process its usually better to stay well away, for fear of being accued of commercial bias. Its down to procurement department (more used to buying tables and chairs) to write a good procurement spec.
Ideally Salops should have available to them a set of 'user requirements' - maybe there should be a common set for all EV infrastructure procurements.
Good luck with all your efforts - but be prepared for the Chinese Walls around any procurement activity!

Reactions: Steve Thayne

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Agreed. My aim was always just to offer an end user experience to those who have a responsibility. The document does at least specify ev charging points in it's bid and acknowledges the lack in the shire. Interesting it estimates a saving of 250,000 carbon miles a year. A lot less than the other non ev measures. Which at my mileage suggests they hope for the equivalent of 12 new ev drivers as a result of new public charging infrastructure. Will always be a guesstimate but interesting to hear.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
"The Civil Servant told me the council are keen to avoid ongoing expense such as maintenance or paying for the leccy."

12 months down the line........"As we don't want to pay for maintenance or electricity we have found a company called Chargemaster/Polar who have kindly agreed to take our funding without it costing us anything. They have announced a pricing structure, please can you confirm how many people will be able to afford to use the posts at these prices to avoid our embarrassment of a Freedom of information request on usage in the future now we have apparently waited for the golden age of support to encourage EVs to be over before doing anything?."

Good luck with your meeting, hope you are prepared for this reaction by the time they are ready to finally move.

Maybe preface the post with Affordable & Reliable.....Shropshire charging locations!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, the meeting actually took place some weeks ago now. Followed it up with an email expressing my personal concerns about Chargemastet which referred the reader to the wider experience shared on internet forums. And gave a personal view that the zero carbon world model appealed. Little to go wrong with the charging posts. Supporting small and medium enterprise in Shropshire where the tourism and leisure sector is particularly significant.

Have done my bit. Will see what happens next :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Ah...there is a 13 amp point AT the Shirehall. I persuaded the council to put it in some years ago when I drove a berlingo electrique. It is outside the teachers resource centre and is on a timer for office hours. Look for the grey box on the wall. Is unlocked but unsigned. You might want to get a permit as will be on yellow crossed lines...to be honest I rarely bothered but was some years since I last used it. It was explicitly designed to be used by any electric vehicle driver when installed.

If further interested in the council re evs have a contact I can message to you.
Hi Steve - that would be a surprise, even for the staff there I think. Yes please - it would be great to be able to charge there, although the folks at Greenhous are so nice and friendly that it'd be a shame not to pop down

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello All
I'm a recent purchaser of a Leaf - brilliant car. I am also a Parish Councillor in a Shropshire Village. As part of the reorganisation of local government which spawned the Shropshire Council the Council instituted a number of local joint committees in an effort to keep local government local. Whilst they used to have funding which could have put in EV points, they had that removed recently. However, I shall ask for a full presentation at a future meeting, and get the complete picture, which I shall post here. IMPORTANT NOTE: anyone taking their EV to Chester should beware - the Nissan garage, conveniently situated across the road from the park and ride in Sealand Road, is shown on the web as having a charging point. NO IT HASN'T. The only charging point in Chester is at the Mill Hotel, convenient for the town centre, but it'll probably cost you lunch! The fast charger at Nissan Wolverhampton is out of action (May 2014), but they will plug you in - but don't stay beyond 5pm, or you'll be shut in.. There are a couple of chargers in the car park at the Oswestry Orthopeadic Hospital -now there's some forethought. Just off the A5.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi David. Be interested to meet and chat re Shrops ev's if interested.

The Local Sustainable Transport Fund is central government money given to Councils including ours. The bid from Shrops currently going through includes provision for public charging. If approved they plan to tender for provision this Summer. Is this the funding you think has been removed?

http://shropshire.gov.uk/public-and-passenger-transport/local-transport-plan/shropshire-sustainable-transport-fund/

Am guessing you are North Shrops? Do you know if the orthopedic hospital posts need cards to operate?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also as posted elsewhere here not one but two rapid chargers are now available on the motorway near Chester. Only just put in I believe.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This voluntary association have put in a public charging facility in Church Stretton on the Zero Net network with some funds from transport at Shropshire Council. Martin Withington is the Council contact.

http://strettonclimatecare.org.uk/2014/03/burway-garage-beats-co-op/

It is at the Burway garage so only available.mon to fri. But they are working to have a 24 hour one at the Coop with the town council as owner.

The Zero Net / Zero Carbon World model may work for a business in your parish - a pub for instance. The post is free the business pays for installation.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Hello All
I'm a recent purchaser of a Leaf - brilliant car. I am also a Parish Councillor in a Shropshire Village. As part of the reorganisation of local government which spawned the Shropshire Council the Council instituted a number of local joint committees in an effort to keep local government local. Whilst they used to have funding which could have put in EV points, they had that removed recently. However, I shall ask for a full presentation at a future meeting, and get the complete picture, which I shall post here....
I suggest that you do not publish Council papers on the web. Such a action is disrespectful of the (we must assume) well meaning civil servant. We've observed before that these officials have no EV knowledge and experience and are quite fallible. The best technique is to provide support and guidance - to the extent that any local authority procurement will allow.
Holding such documents up for public scrutiny risks the EV community losing access and the ability to influence. As yet, the EV community has not produced any guidelines on charger specification, siting, signage etc. etc. Until that is in place - it's only the opinions of individuals - who may be right - but.....?
Good luck with a more 'collaborative' approach.o_O

·
Banned
558 Posts
Of course all should be in the public domain - but holding it up for ridicule on social media is something that will be counter-productive? In order for feedback to have validity and credibility, it needs to be well considered, balanced and fed back in an appropriate manner. It's fine for the councillor to seek wider guidance, but for his opinion to be acceptable he will do better to visit the official(s) and share valid guidance face-to-face? IMHO :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts