Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard recently that it might be against the regs to put a type 2 socket indoors... say in a garage... becsue it is not shuttered.

I don't know the regs or the law but I was aware that all electrical sockets in a dwelling must be shuttered.

Surely, with the type 2 socket, the power cannot be turned on until there is a cable in the socket and it is properly connected to an EV. So, it is effectively electronically shuttered. I certainly wouldn't have any problem installing a type 2 socket in my garage. I can't see anyone complaining and even if there it did go to court for some reasonm I could easily imagine a tech expert witness convincing a judge that it is effectively shuttered.

You make up your own mind...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Paul
Your right - type 2 sockets should not be installed indoors, the home charge grant clause 5.1 states that only tethered chargepoints can be installed indoors. Although I'm pretty sure people will fit them not knowing this clause. I've had this discussion with the tech guys at pod point and Rolec and NAPIT different sources will give different answers. Most come back to the concern of crossing earthing zones. Within a garage you are within the properties equipotential zone jump on the drive you are outside it. If you have a tethered cable you are restricted to where you can charge and a risk assessment should state where you can safely charge your car - normally in the garage. With no cable there is no restriction. When I asked the question of what about having a chargepoint in the garage, parking on the drive and plugging in therefore crossing earthing zones??? I was referred to risk assessment and safe charging should be listed and signed by the client. Your right no power will pass until both ends are happy and communicating.
If we could fit type 2 sockets indoors it will future proof a lot of properties, imagine having a i3 and a leaf in the same house??? Annoying. I've heard people are questioning 1 cable lengths and 2 type 2 sockets with the iet. I await the answers.
Love the forum I've learnt a lot from it and I'm meant to no everything as an installer, just goes to show knowledge is power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts