Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some in our subforum will know I have fallen victim the the common SHVCS (Service High Voltage Charging System) problem, see the below thread for details, this one is a continuation.

Charge port rubber seal

After several problem free days, with no error codes and normal charging the error returned today. I'd charged to full this morning but the error was back this afternoon when I started the car to drive to the shops.

SHVCS.jpg

The codes were the same as before -

(P1E00 - turn on check engine light, generic).
P1FFF - Coolant level sensor fault - Hybrid/EV battery charging system disabled.
P1FFB - Open circuit level sensor.
Plus a new one - P1FFE - Hybrid Battery Pack Coolant Level Low. (see below)

I cleared them again whilst in the car park using Torque and drove home, without any recurrence, albeit a short drive of a few miles. When home I checked the coolant level which is exactly the same as usual, no change at all. Tonight or tomorrow morning I will try charging, normally I wouldn't as I only used a few miles range today, it was at 38 when fully charged.

From what I've read on gm-volt and as mentioned by @donald I ought not to be able to reset these DTCs, yet I was able to and to charge again as per normal for several days. Yesterday I checked for DTCs through Torque and there were none. Others on gm-volt also report they had been able to reset theirs successfully, with the DTCs either not returning at all, or returning after some days or even many weeks.

My (limited) observations are -

1. I don't think there are any latched codes as I am able to reset the DTCs so maybe the car's software has been updated to allow this, or maybe I am not getting any that cannot be reset.
2. The cause is intermittent. I have gone days without a recurrence, suggesting a faulty sensor or connection.
3. The new code P1FFE is only set "when the drive motor battery coolant level is 1.5 inches (38 mm) or more below the seam" (as per GM Service Bulletin No. PI0961A). As my coolant level is normal this code is in error, pointing to a faulty sensor.

The car is booked into Bellinger at Wantage for Wednesday PM where I've asked them to change the sensor and it's small wiring harness, plus reset any codes if I still have any, or any that may be hidden from Torque. They did say it's a small job they can do whilst I wait, I can see on here that at least one other Ampera owner has had this faulty sensor problem fixed by them and it will be interesting to see what they say about the problem.

In the meantime I am waiting for my 'Chevy Volt 2011-2015 SHVCS Defeat Plug' from Brock at canbustools.com to arrive. I ordered it on friday 17th and had notification that it was in the airmail to me within 2 hours, pretty fast turnaround!

Steve

Reactions: Freebird

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plugged in this morning for a quick top-up charge, which worked as normal. Also Bellinger called to say the sensor has not arrived with them from Vauxhall as it is on back order, so my car will be re-booked in when it arrives, probably by next week.

Reactions: Freebird

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
Steve,
I've bought one of the defeat plugs after Donald's post a long time ago - it's sitting on my desk waiting installation! The instructions are excellent, but I simply can't find/undo the plug to swap it - it very tight under there!
It would be great to know how you get on (ie photos please!)
Good luck!
Tim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The error was back again this morning on starting the car after a clear day yesterday including a charge from near empty in the evening.

2017-11-22 10.35.24.png

Cleared again via Torque and no recurrence today over several short errands, then top up charge this evening which completed normally.

@heathtim - I will endeavour to post photos etc. when I do fit (or try to fit) the defeat plug! It does look tight where it is located, and hope the instructions give some hints and tips. This one is from Brock at eastmanresearch rather than from WOT, so the instructions may be different.

Steve

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time the SHVCS error happened was on 24 November, since clearing the codes then there's been no problems at all.

Yesterday I drove through several fierce blizzards to Bellingers to have new sensor & wiring fitted, but on arrival was told the wiring part is not available in the UK so just had the sensor replaced and coolant topped up to the newer higher level. This cost £41.60 in total, plus the dreaded VAT, which I was happy with.

But on handing back my car the Volt/Ampera mechanic said the engine check light was on and the car would not charge on their charger, just showing a solid yellow indicator for a fault. He said this probably points to a fault in the wiring to the sensor which would need further more lengthy investigation. He also said he's never had to replace a sensor before, but has fixed faulty wiring to it.

I don't think he had checked the actual fault code as when I got home just one DTC was set - P1EE6, which relates to a problem with the charge port or a lack of detected voltage as far as I can see, nothing to do with the coolant level sensor. On the gm-volt forum this code seems to often lead to a faulty/damaged charge port being replaced, which was a bit depressing to find out.

I cleared the code and with some trepidation plugged in to charge, which worked. Since then I've charged overnight and left the car plugged in due to the cold and all has been fine. I wounder if possibly they had a problem with their charger or charge lead?

This also makes me think that maybe after all the sensor itself was faulty, if I have no further sensor related errors I will fit the defeat device which arrived a while ago. If I do have more errors then it is very likely to be the wiring and I'll have it investigated at some point.

Changing the topic slightly I had no idea Bellinger have their own brewery tucked away behind their dealership, with an array of beers for sale in the small shop on the forecourt!

Bellinger-beer.jpg

Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had this error a couple of times and both times it is at the start of spring as the weather warms up. I've discovered that I've got a slow leak in my air con somewhere and so I need to refill my air con every year (no-one want to check all the connections ;-)
Anyway, I believe the charging system uses the air con to cool the battery. The fault only arises once the weather starts warming up. So if your air con is weak and you get this error try having your air con recharged and reset the codes using any ODBII scanner (I've only got a cheap one) and your car should charge again. In my case until next year :)
I hope this helps someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts