Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a diesel driver for years but have hankered after an EV for a few years, doing my research! A family member might want to buy my low mileage 2015 Dacia Duster diesel car, so I'm seriously pondering what to get now. Whilst I love my gadgets I also dig functionality over style, so what some might see as an ugly duckling, is not necessarily ruled out.

If I kept the diesel as a second vehicle I've been seriously tempted by the Twizy as a fun run around but if I'm selling the diesel, I'll need a far more capable vehicle. My only issue is my driveway is barely the length of a car, there's no gate and it's a busy main road (Southampton's very own Piccadilly Circus), where school children walk past every day. This means any car parked on the driveway needs to be reversed on as reversing out into a busy road is a no-go. This also means any electric car cannot have a charge port on the nose, as the darling little feral, pint sized crotch goblins will snap the plug and charge flap whilst walking by, the moment I turn my back!

So, I'm needing a short list of EVs which have side accessed charging ports. Budget £15-30k ish. Not that interested in PCP or finance unless I can get a discount then pay it off in full soon after, as I usually own a vehicle until it becomes a liability to keep repaired. New or nearly new / ex demo etc. The ones I can think of right now are:

• Peugeot e208
  • Peugeot e2008
  • Vauxhall Corsa -e
  • Vauxhall Mokka -e
  • Citroen E-C4
  • Citroen Berlingo Electric
  • Mini Electric (bit small but it is cute)
  • BMW i3 (do like the styling, but worried BMW aftersales will be costly and painful)
  • VW ID.3 (do I really want to be a software beta tester for what might be Windows ME on Wheels??)
  • VW eUP and the VAG siblings (bit small, only 3kw charging on AC I seem to recall)
  • Skoda Enyaq
  • Smart For-Two / For-Four (excluded as they don't do DC rapid charge)

Tesla, even 2nd hand sub 30k, are off my shortlist as I can't be doing with a company who are so anti right-to-repair and have questionable build quality.

So, what cars have I missed, if any?

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
383 Posts
I've been a diesel driver for years but have hankered after an EV for a few years, doing my research! A family member might want to buy my low mileage 2015 Dacia Duster diesel car, so I'm seriously pondering what to get now. Whilst I love my gadgets I also dig functionality over style, so what some might see as an ugly duckling, is not necessarily ruled out.

If I kept the diesel as a second vehicle I've been seriously tempted by the Twizy as a fun run around but if I'm selling the diesel, I'll need a far more capable vehicle. My only issue is my driveway is barely the length of a car, there's no gate and it's a busy main road (Southampton's very own Piccadilly Circus), where school children walk past every day. This means any car parked on the driveway needs to be reversed on as reversing out into a busy road is a no-go. This also means any electric car cannot have a charge port on the nose, as the darling little feral, pint sized crotch goblins will snap the plug and charge flap whilst walking by, the moment I turn my back!

So, I'm needing a short list of EVs which have side accessed charging ports. Budget £15-30k ish. Not that interested in PCP or finance unless I can get a discount then pay it off in full soon after, as I usually own a vehicle until it becomes a liability to keep repaired. New or nearly new / ex demo etc. The ones I can think of right now are:

• Peugeot e208
  • Peugeot e2008
  • Vauxhall Corsa -e
  • Vauxhall Mokka -e
  • Citroen E-C4
  • BMW i3 (do like the styling, but worried BMW aftersales will be costly and painful)
  • VW ID.3 (do I really want to be a software beta tester for what might be Windows ME on Wheels??)
  • VW eUP and the VAG siblings (bit small, only 3kw charging on AC I seem to recall)
  • Skoda Enyaq

Tesla, even 2nd hand sub 30k, are off my shortlist as I can't be doing with a company who are so anti right-to-repair and have questionable build quality.

VW e-golf

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Strange. They never stopped me doing any maintenance activities on my Teslas.

Anyway. Good luck with the Citroens.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot about the e-golf. Might be a few ex demo's knocking around still!

Yes, I know Citroen hasn't got the best reputation (French + electrics was historically the butt of many jokes), but if its got manufacturers warranty and a dealer network, you hope you can get by. Same goes for all mainstream car manufacturers really venturing into the EV world. None of them have got it 100% right first time. That said, I've heard too many horror stories about the build quality of Teslas, their customer service "like it and lump it" attitude etc. For now, it's off the list.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Had my iD3 for a week today. 500 odd miles - not a hitch. Perfect - and a joy to drive.
I had SW concerns but seems most of those were sorted in the version (2.1) that mine came with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll have to test drive an ID3 before I make a judgement on it, quality wise. If there are quality issues, I would hope and expect VW to be all over them as they've bet the fortunes of the company on getting their new EV platform right.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
If you can fit some of these cars (on your list) by length, then I'm sure the last gen Kia Soul would also fit. The cover pops open sideways, not out, and the actual socket is far enough back that you don't really need that much clearance at the front. I could park with just 6 inches clearance and pop the cover, lean over to insert the plug. You can only lean from one direction though because that flap comes sideways and you need to do this from the other side, it is not central.

I suspect other cars are likewise. You might be over-restricting your list because in fact the actual sockets are usually quite some distance back from the actual cover and the clearance needed is really a matter of inches. There's no need in most cases to be able to actually stand in front of the car to plug one in. YMMV.

Pick the car you want and get a loaner to see if it fits your driveway, before writing it off.

TBH, if you have certain 'demographics' wandering around looking for trouble, to have your plug in lead completely hidden up at the front might actually be what you'd prefer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always assumed the Hyundai and Kia range were all nose chargers! Good call and I've heard nothing but praise about the EV Ioniq.

Always said it's a shame Dacia don't do an Electric Duster with 150 mile range, 50kW CCS and a sensible sub £20k price ticket to boot. Would sell like hot cakes. Renault might not like that I suppose, not having a more "premium" offering to counteract it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When it comes to driveway length, I can just about fit a MK5 Ford Transit SWB on the drive, with the back doorstep touching the bay window brickwork. The risk of a charging plug / flap being damaged pavement side is too high from passers by. I don't think many of them are that callous to go out of their way to damage the cable if it was side entry though as it will be too far up the path for most to bother with.

Also it is simply not safe to reverse onto a busy main road, right next to a junction with a roundabout. Whilst it's a 30MPH zone, many cars are doing that by the time they come off the roundabout and pass my house, doing 40MPH or more a few more yards up the road!
Also - highway code, rule 201 ;)

That said, a neighbour used to reverse off the driveway out into the road every day for years and it was a miracle he never had an accident.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I think that rule was made before 360 cameras and cross traffic alert ;)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Always said it's a shame Dacia don't do an Electric Duster with 150 mile range, 50kW CCS and a sensible sub £20k price ticket to boot.
Dacia keeps threatening to build an EV called the Spring which would be cheap and lowish range but it's still on the drawing board. And a nose charger.

The Ioniq is a similar length to the short model SWB M5 Transit which is 4616mm. It's 19mm longer at 4635mm. I don't think that under 2cm will make a difference.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
440 Posts

stop thinking about beta testing on the ID platform... it has moved on since 2020 and they are about to roll out the first OTA which will lead to a better experience moving forward.
but they have some key points at the end of this video about dealers holding ex demonstrators... so you need to call and get a price.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
I always assumed the Hyundai and Kia range were all nose chargers!
I'm saying they are nose chargers but if you can get a SWB transit in there then there is no issue with these cars. Nose in, leave a few inches at the front, and you can plug in no problem. I suspect you're over-thinking a non-problem here.

Better to hide the plug on the opposite side to the pavement.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts

• Peugeot e208
  • Peugeot e2008
  • Vauxhall Corsa -e
  • Vauxhall Mokka -e
  • Citroen E-C4
  • Skoda Enyaq

...but don't you need to know what side the charging socket is? For me, the Enyaq charge socket would be better on the other side: it's going to be correct for 50% of the owners, though, just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

So, I'm needing a short list of EVs which have side accessed charging ports. Budget £15-30k ish. Not that interested in PCP or finance unless I can get a discount then pay it off in full soon after, as I usually own a vehicle until it becomes a liability to keep repaired. New or nearly new / ex demo etc. The ones I can think of right now are
Well you missed my wonderful little car, it is perfect for your needs. I have a Seat MII. A new one costs £20,300 there are ones out there a bit cheaper than that.
It is small, it is pretty, it has the side charge and it goes 160 miles on a single charge. The car is wonderful and we've had ours for 2 weeks now. We are still fighting each other for it, though it is my car, as we use it for all our trips.
You'd love it. Refuel on the driver's side. The E-up is the model up from ours, but I don't think you get much more for your money than on the Mii. (pronounced Me!)

Used SEAT Cars for Sale

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts