Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for my first EV and the Kia eNiro seems to fit my needs the most, plus it's within my budget. However comparing the insurance cost between trim 2 and 3 (and 4, 4+ for that matter), the lower trim is about 1/4. Not 1/4 less, only 1/4!

Anyone seeing this as well, or am I making a mistake (not selecting the right model) here?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm shopping for my first EV and the Kia eNiro seems to fit my needs the most, plus it's within my budget. However comparing the insurance cost between trim 2 and 3 (and 4, 4+ for that matter), the lower trim is about 1/4. Not 1/4 less, only 1/4!

Anyone seeing this as well, or am I making a mistake (not selecting the right model) here?
I am in the same boat as you and considering the 2 as my favoured option, either lease or purchase loan. In the process of sifting through the quotes, I tried a few online insurance quotes too. Whilst I didn’t compare 2 against 3 and 4 variants , I found the quotes be broadly comparable with my current PHEV.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
409 Posts
The e-Niro 2 has a lower powered motor, if it's the standard 39kWh.
The 2 long range (64kWh) I'd expect to have similar insurance cost to the others as it's the same drive train and battery as the others.

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
97 Posts
Keep shopping around with different insurers I'd say...

I paid £200 for my 4+, well happy with that for a 40k car!

·
Registered
e-Niro 4+ 2021
23 Posts
My previous car was a Prius PHEV (insurance group 22) and in July 2020 I paid £389 for fully comp with maximum no claims bonus. My present car is an e-Niro 4+ (insurance group 27) and in July 2021 I paid £223 for insurance with everything the same as previously (same address, same excesses, same driver, same no claims etc). Both cars were insured with LV after I had shopped around. I am certainly not complaining but find it strange that a car with a higher insurance grouping should be dramatically cheaper.
You can check the insurance groups at MoneySuperMarket but in my case the groups didn't have much to do with the actual cost of the insurance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've just had the renewal quote for my 4+ at circa £300 per year. I'll have a look round, but if I can't find anything cheaper, I'd still be happy with that...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've just had the renewal quote for my 4+ at circa £300 per year. I'll have a look round, but if I can't find anything cheaper, I'd still be happy with that...
Just over £200 annual here with LV - same size loan etc etc. Couldn’t beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just over £200 annual here with LV - same size loan etc etc. Couldn’t beat it
That's some very good number. I'm quoted over £900 annually. But I live in London and have only been driving for 3 years so maybe it will go down?

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's some very good number. I'm quoted over £900 annually. But I live in London and have only been driving for 3 years so maybe it will go down?
Fingers crossed for you - over 45years driving in my case!
But I would say the 4+ is probably the best car I have even owned

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
I’m also with LV. Last year when I bought the car new I paid £443 which was a good bit more than my elderly Prius cost me. I did shop around with confused dot com last September. This LV was almost the cheapest then so I chose it. This year LV renewal is £483. I’ll do the confused comparison again before paying it.

I'm very envious of the ~£200. I know it varies by area, personal stuff etc. But I’m 68 and my licence is clean and I’ve no claims in over 20y. My last was a no fault one in 1999 when some effing moron ran into my rear as I was stopped at a red light! My car is parked on the driveway but this area doesn’t seem too bad regarding theft etc. So why is mine so much higher? Insurance is so darned fickle. Peter

·
Registered
e-Niro 4+ 2021
23 Posts
This year LV renewal is £483.
I changed cars just a couple of weeks before my insurance was due so the initial quote that LV gave me was a renewal quote. It was considerably more than the £223 that I paid. I phoned them up and told them that I had found the lower quote (from LV) on a comparison site and was advised to cancel the existing insurance and take out the new one with the lower quote. This I did and, lo and behold, I have the same insurance at a far better price.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yup I’ve done that before. Looks like I’m doing it again now.
I've just got best Quote via confused and it’s £275 plus £22 for NCD protection. So that’s £297 for same cover (same excess etc etc) with same company (LV). So I’m now going to cancel my existing auto renewal LV policy at £480 and then immediately start up a new one at £297.
What a bonkers industry this is. Why do we have to play these silly games to get the better prices?
£297 isn’t as good as your ~£200 but it’ll certainly do for now.
cheers
Peter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m also with LV. Last year when I bought the car new I paid £443 which was a good bit more than my elderly Prius cost me. I did shop around with confused dot com last September. This LV was almost the cheapest then so I chose it. This year LV renewal is £483. I’ll do the confused comparison again before paying it.

I'm very envious of the ~£200. I know it varies by area, personal stuff etc. But I’m 68 and my licence is clean and I’ve no claims in over 20y. My last was a no fault one in 1999 when some effing moron ran into my rear as I was stopped at a red light! My car is parked on the driveway but this area doesn’t seem too bad regarding theft etc. So why is mine so much higher? Insurance is so darned fickle. Peter
Peter, when I got the car I was still with DirectLine & to change was really cheap which surprised me but I always look on line about 30 days before renewal. Saved an LV quote & waited for DL to tell me renewal didn’t arrive so went online & there it was @ £465 ish so just signed up with LV. I expect next renewal DL will be cheaper again. I would add that I do the same with house insurance & get the same so as I was already with LV for house I got a discount. It is a pain having to do it every year but there is no such thing as benefits for loyal customers

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ha it’s £275 all in when I came to actually pay for it. So I’ve just saved £205 over the auto renewing policy. Same company, same cover, same everything. And a £20 Halfords voucher from Confused.com. Bonkers. Peter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wait until you get older! I am alarmed to find that in the late 70s and 80s premiums start rising again. Apparently we reach a stage where we are almost as accident prone as an 18 year old!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dual Pricing ban is coming in the UK end of year - so new customers can no longer be offered a different price to existing customers. Therefore some companies are 'buying a book of customers' and great rates at the moment with some insurers for new customers. I work for an Insurance company and we see one or two (LV being main one) with very very low rates at the moment - grab those prices is what I say if you renew before end of year.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
357 Posts
You can get weirdness with pricing when you manually select a model rather than go from a registration - I found similar when shopping for ID3 quotes, pick the exact model and it was sky high, from a reg it was fine. If you can trawl autotrader or the approved used site for a car in the same spec, try putting in that registration number instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts