Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is an accessory to do this or are VW designing something.
Anyone had any issues (or worse hit someone?)

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Hybrids have been sold in the UK in significant numbers since 2002 and are silent. If they were running people over all the time the insurance premiums would be massive. As it is, the insurance ratings for hybrids are quite low for their size.

BEVs and PHEVs have been required to have a noise maker and whether this works or not is questionable, but insurance rates are still reasonable - ie £200 - £300 a year. I think this idea of such cars running over blind people left right and center is a load of balony.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
Having a silent vehicle clarifies the fact that its is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting cyclists or pedestrians. However I have experienced for myself the unnerving effect of a large heavy object moving silently in your vicinity, and I can well understand the unease this creates.

In a couple of years a sound generator will become legally required in the EU. Until then I'm afraid the most effective method will be to turn your radio up -- but not to heavy metal!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hybrids have been sold in the UK in significant numbers since 2002 and are silent. If they were running people over all the time the insurance premiums would be massive. As it is, the insurance ratings for hybrids are quite low for their size.

BEVs and PHEVs have been required to have a noise maker and whether this works or not is questionable, but insurance rates are still reasonable - ie £200 - £300 a year. I think this idea of such cars running over blind people left right and center is a load of balony.
The Leaf has a noise generator as standard
On the i3 it's an optional extra (factory fit)
There is no option on the Golf GTE

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Leaf has a noise generator as standard
On the i3 it's an optional extra (factory fit)
There is no option on the Golf GTE
GTE does have a noise generator.... the Tyres ! Loudest tyres ever :) lol

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
All cars have a manual noise maker. Press the center of the steering wheel ;)

I think the Ampera had a good idea though - two horns. A normal horn blast might be perceived as aggressive so (if I recall) it has a second 'horn' which is a cricket chirp. People are meant to turn around to ponder what it is, rather than getting cheesed off with you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me a cynic but VW put a Structure born sound actuator on a GTD to make it sound more appealing, but to add anything to make a GTE safer at low speed (don't forget it'll be the drivers responsibility to prove if someone jumps in front... Not VW ). To blast a horn in these situations will not be received well ! There should be something imho.... Even as an option.
The noisy Tyres won't make much difference at 10mph I don't think

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
In that case stick with your noisy clattering diesel, pumping out poisonous emissions. Nobody should miss you clattering down the road.

That's what you wanted to hear? No?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"walkers are 40 per cent more likely to be run over by a quiet hybrid or electric car than by one with a petrol or diesel engine."

For the sake of a small speaker ... Just sayin

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
"walkers are 40 per cent more likely to be run over by a quiet hybrid or electric car than by one with a petrol or diesel engine."

For the sake of a small speaker ... Just sayin
I have to back out of my driveway onto a well used footpath and cycle path (actually it's not a cycle path but cyclists treat it like one!) so I have had near misses with pedestrians in standard ICE cars.

In my opinion, a noise making device won't make a lot of difference as pedestrians are usually wearing earphones and/or looking intently at their mobile phone. It is the responsibility of both parties to look carefully at where they are going.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an accessory to do this or are VW designing something.
Anyone had any issues (or worse hit someone?)
Yes it does have a noisemaker, just press the GTE button.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have to back out of my driveway onto a well used footpath and cycle path (actually it's not a cycle path but cyclists treat it like one!) so I have had near misses with pedestrians in standard ICE cars.

In my opinion, a noise making device won't make a lot of difference as pedestrians are usually wearing earphones and/or looking intently at their mobile phone. It is the responsibility of both parties to look carefully at where they are going.
Agree. Also just because the car is making a different noise compared to an ICE does not necessarily mean a pedestrian will look at your car.

My ZOE has sound generator and people don't seem to take much notice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Doesn't it fire up the petrol engine when you press the button?

It does, but only when it's needed, coasting along it can shut down, slowing down it definitely shuts down, but accelerating it will be on.

In Victorian times Cars used to have a man walking in front with a flag.... for 12 YEARS !!! Things move on, that's cos the car was quieter than a horse and carriage lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually the GTE does have a speaker, the soundaktor just like in the GTI & GTDs but the aim is to make the cabin noisy to make it feel 'sporty'. I'm not sure how audible it is to the outside, I guess it must be a little.

I have to reverse out of my drive every day, no real choice due to front door placement etc... My guess is that accidents do happen but likely the amount of monetary damage is very low and injuries fairly limited.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts