Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to seek a little clarity on this.

My understanding was that EH and Polars allowed the AC to be used when the DC was in use.

The other day I was an audience to some fun-and-games on the one functional charger at Cherwell Valley. 'Fortunately' I was dieseling that day and doing my bit to destroy the planet prematurely.

Anyway, an Outlander had parked in the middle of the two chargers to get the lead in, and so a guy in a Leaf was able to slot in on the same charger.

Being interested in this scenario, given imminent Zoe outcome, I engaged with him to find out how it was going but he said the app was simply saying the charger was in use and wouldn't let him get on with a charge.

Please can anyone lay the detail of this out, because I thought this was an 'OK' thing; which providers, on which chargers, under what conditions, can you bag an AC charge of the same charger that is already delivering a DC charge?

Ta.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No the EH charger only allows one vehicle at a time. I know this as I was plugged in on the AC in Telford MSA and happily charging. I went in for my coffee and came out 5 mins later to find another ev plugged into my charger and my car no longer charging?
I can only think that this ‘person’ had pressed the reset to stop my charge and then plugged themselves in.
I was completely stumped as to how they did this until I read about the inappropriate use of a reset to do this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Efacec and ABB units can do AC and DC together if they are configured to do so, and sufficient power is available in the area they are installed.

DBT chargers can't. Polar ultracharge can't.

While Ecotricity have started installing efacec chargers, their app is programmed to authorise one charge session at a time, so it probably wouldn't even allow for AC and DC together on their new chargers, even if the unit itself is theoretically capable of it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,390 Posts
The Shell ones supposedly allow an AC and DC charge at the same time. I've never seen it actually happen.

It does add a level of complication for the user if they have to start a charge from a machine and not accidentally cut off the other person charging. The machine also has to know which person to cut off correctly when one of them wants to stop a charge.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Lidl Rapids will do DC & AC at the same time also *Engenie can. ( *Some have a AC Socket 7kw _ 22kw )
Now Engie in West Yorkshire can do AC and DC ,But if you have a Renault Zoe on a 22kw AC Socket and then someone plugs in to DC there's a good chance the Zoe's charge will stop.
Engie now own GeniePoint and the Chargers look the same but some have Sockets for AC ( a 22kw Socket ) and some a dedicated 43kw AC cable.

·
25,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a sort of shame these chargers don't have free vend type 2 sockets on the reverse side simply wired into the supply, where they could place a few more parking spots. It'd be virtually no additional cost on the machine.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Instavolt should have done that so Zoes could charge there too.
After all it is a fully electric vehicle not a plug-in hybrid.
so there is money to be made from the Zoe using it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
No the EH charger only allows one vehicle at a time. I know this as I was plugged in on the AC in Telford MSA and happily charging. I went in for my coffee and came out 5 mins later to find another ev plugged into my charger and my car no longer charging?
I can only think that this ‘person’ had pressed the reset to stop my charge and then plugged themselves in.
I was completely stumped as to how they did this until I read about the inappropriate use of a reset to do this.
That's definitely not on!
I'd have done it back

·
25,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was possibly the first person to ever report a ZE driveline failure in UK blogs, so it would not be new territory.

That being said, I had the lease annulled at that point, so it better not happen with Zoe.

Renault build quality is perfectly French.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
which providers, on which chargers, under what conditions, can you bag an AC charge of the same charger that is already delivering a DC charge?
GenePoint Rapids allow simultaneous AC and DC charging, some of the rapids have a Type 2 socket for AC so are probably only good for 22kW on AC, others have a tethered Type 2 lead and so are probably good for 43kW.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's a sort of shame these chargers don't have free vend type 2 sockets on the reverse side simply wired into the supply, where they could place a few more parking spots. It'd be virtually no additional cost on the machine.
There are some old DBT Chargers near me that are on the CYC network and have a basic AC22 Socket on the front. They can be configured to dispense freely without any software control, or paid vend (where due to the same software limitation on all of the last generation chargers they made, it can only handle one session at a time)

When in free AC vend, they limit the DC output to 22kW too at all times though, regardless of if anything is plugged in. Not ideal, but its the only sort of implementation I have seen like you describe. All the other AC Socketed rapid chargers I have come across, including the new ABB ones that Pod Point/Lidl have started rolling out only allow for one session at a time.

Basically the more I try to explain, the more complicated and confusing it gets.

dbt.jpg

·
25,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are some old DBT Chargers near me that are on the CYC network and have a basic AC22 Socket on the front. They can be configured to dispense freely without any software control, or paid vend (where due to the same software limitation on all of the last generation chargers they made, it can only handle one session at a time)

When in free AC vend, they limit the DC output to 22kW too at all times though, regardless of if anything is plugged in. Not ideal, but its the only sort of implementation I have seen like you describe. All the other AC Socketed rapid chargers I have come across, including the new ABB ones that Pod Point/Lidl have started rolling out only allow for one session at a time.

Basically the more I try to explain, the more complicated and confusing it gets.

View attachment 128016
Thanks, yeah, I think I have actually seen those around.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,276 Posts
ChargePlaceScotland 'Raption' chargers allow AC & one of the DC connections. I arrived and there was a Mini PHEV plugged into the AC, I plugged into the CCS and drew 45kWh and left and the Mini was still plugged in with the driver inside. I don't know how much they could take or how long they were there in total.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts