Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Seen that a few times with minindrivers and educated one that they are better to do it when out shopping or such ??

·
Registered
545 Posts
From having an incident on an Engie charger where a big chunky tethered type 2 cable turned out to be 6kw only I looked into this a bit...

The AC connection gets whatever is left in the power allocation whether the DC is being used or not, so the AC doesn't change if a DC user plugs in. This was frustrating as the charger we were trying to use was capable of 56kw in this case, but even though nobody was using the 50kw DC allocation the AC allocation stays resolutely at 6 and nothing higher... :-(

To stop a charge on such a charger you need to swipe the card you started it with, so you wouldn't be able to stop someone else's charge session.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
I can only think that this ‘person’ had pressed the reset to stop my charge and then plugged themselves in.
That is precisely what they did! You could have done the same and carried on your charge at the risk of the EH post failing (most other rapids don't die when Emergency is pressed but EH units are famous for it). I personally would have reported them, it'd be easy for the charger operator to confirm this.

As for DBT only being able to do DC or AC but not both simultaneously, not entirely true, they can technically do both, in fact EH ones did until EH decided to lock them to one or the other so they didn't go pop so often (easier to frig than fix the issue).

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,390 Posts
I've heard Polar are going to be doing upgrades on the Ultrachargers so they will be able to do DC and AC at the same time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As for DBT only being able to do DC or AC but not both simultaneously, not entirely true, they can technically do both, in fact EH ones did until EH decided to lock them to one or the other so they didn't go pop so often (easier to frig than fix the issue).
They could? How did that work exactly? As far as I was aware the DBT software always remained on the screen of the active charge session to show progress with no way to get to any other useful screen. There are some VERY old chargers near me, some of which have the old style software that let you pick what type of charge you wanted and to set an end limit. Some Ecotricity, some CYC, others completely off network. And I have NEVER seen this being a thing. Even thinking back to around 5 years ago when EH chargers worked with RFID.

I'm genuinely curious how that worked.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,563 Posts
They could? How did that work exactly? As far as I was aware the DBT software always remained on the screen of the active charge session to show progress with no way to get to any other useful screen. There are some VERY old chargers near me, some of which have the old style software that let you pick what type of charge you wanted and to set an end limit. Some Ecotricity, some CYC, others completely off network. And I have NEVER seen this being a thing. Even thinking back to around 5 years ago when EH chargers worked with RFID.

I'm genuinely curious how that worked.
AC charging never showed much info. Certain I've used a DBT unit in Scotland not an EH unit where a DC car was charging at same time as my Zoe. Topic is probably still on this site (if that's where I discussed it).

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is precisely what they did! You could have done the same and carried on your charge at the risk of the EH post failing (most other rapids don't die when Emergency is pressed but EH units are famous for it). I personally would have reported them, it'd be easy for the charger operator to confirm this.

It was only after I did some reading about it that I realised that you could be bounced off a charge session in this way. I was genuinely perplexed about how someone else could plug in and end my session. I was still attached. I did wonder if the driver had plugged in not realising it could only be used for one car at a time and somehow EH had switched to them but that made no sense so I’m left with the deliberate gazumping scenario. I would return the favour if it happened again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have Charged a few times on AC43 at Scarborough Lidl at the same time as a Model 3 on DC
with out problems ( unlike some Engie Chargers in West Yorkshire :mad: )

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Charge Place Scotland are the Same Charger Engenie are installing
and they can do AC & DC Charging simultaneously , But somtimes the AC
is limited to from 7kw to 22kw
The Engenie Rapids at The Ruddy Duck Pub & Restaurant ,Wakefield , West Yorkshire ,WF1 5JR
Have 43 kw cables but i found that they only output 22kw maximum. ( measured Using CanZe )

CPS-1000-charge-points-2.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Whatever you call doing stuff after a couple bottles of red?
Sorry to continue the off topic, but that explains how the French bottle of red wine got in the boot when my new Zoe was delivered! I hope it’s not a VAM zoe though... The dealer didn’t know about it, because they gave me a different bottle, German brand, when I signed for receiving the registration papers.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts