Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,117 Posts
Just to give a slightly different view..... The order in which I proceeded (and worked well for me) was.......

1. ordered my EV

2. had the distribution company upgrade the properties main fuse from 60A to 80A

3. had SMETS2 smart meter fitted by my existing electricity supplier

4. had EV charger fitted

5. took delivery of EV car

6. switched to chosen electricity tariff

The benefit of this order for me, and perhaps others, was that the distribution company fitted an isolation switch when they upgraded the 60A fuse. This meant that electricians fitting the smart meter and EV charger could proceed without being tempted to isolate the supply by (illegally?) removing the meter seals.

The electrician who fitted the 80A fuse or the one who fitted the smart meter (can’t remember which) also, without asking, upgraded the ‘tails’.

I think the isolation switch, 80A fuse and upgraded tails are all prerequisites before an EV charger is installed (if not already in place). Therfore, for me, proceeding in this order meant that the EV charger installer had no reason not to proceed quickly and easily without any additional extra cost to that quoted in their ‘list price’.
Mine went the same way, except that the smart meter installer fitted the isolation switch (at my expense!)
There was an extra worry as the DNO had to inspect my (and my neighbour's) looped supply wiring before uprating the fuse

Thanks for this.
We've got a 100A fuse which is lucky but only a single traditional meter. I've always been cautious about the Smart meter after hearing issues from other people. Sounds like I have to do it though.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'tails' though ? Is that simply heavier wiring?
"Tails" is just the name for the wires from the main fuse to the meter.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Mine went the same way, except that the smart meter installer fitted the isolation switch (at my expense!)
There was an extra worry as the DNO had to inspect my (and my neighbour's) looped supply wiring before uprating the fuse

"Tails" is just the name for the wires from the main fuse to the meter.
And also for the conductors from the meter to the consumer unit (s).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Having a Smart meter fitted will not oblige you to take a ‘time of use’/dual rate tariff. My smart meter installer seemed to have some good knowledge of EV chargers so I asked him to assess the suitability of my fuse board, etc before I had a quote from an EV charger installer. This gave me some reassurance that the install would be straightforward and without extra cost. For me this was the real benefit of the upfront smart meter install. The ability to switch quickly to an EV tariff was an additional bonus but, as others have said, the priority for most is to get a 7kw ‘charger’ installed ASAP in line with when you take car ownership.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I had the smartmeter fitted as a way of switching to economy 7.

The default way of doing it was for them to charge me £60 to fit an e7 meter. When I asked if that would be a smartmeter, they said no - another just like the one I had, but I could have a smartmeter if I wanted and that would be free. I could then ask for it to be 'updated' overnight to do E7, also for free.

That's where it all went wrong - when I asked for the overnight update they said that they didn't know how to do it - as they hadn't covered that on the training course yet. I'm sure they do now.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts