Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pic of the cables next to each other?
I'm tempted to try and get a 3-phase cable.
I'm sure they're bulkier but not sure by how much. Is the difference obvious? Are the cables marked?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 10 meter 3 phase cable from EVcables.com this cable is massive. The attached photo shows the difference in thickness of the standard BMW Type 2, 32Amp cable vs a 32amp 3 phase cable (this off course can cope with 22Kw if running on 3 phase, remember the i3 can only cope with 11kw). My wife struggles with the 3 phase cable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 3 phase is noticeably thicker and heavier. Given that on the i3 the difference is only 11kw Vs 7kw it's not really worth it, unless you're in a location with lots of 22kw chargers.

I bought both cables and have barely used the 3 phase in the UK. I used it most abroad as in France/Germany 22kw is far more common.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got an 8 m long 3 phase 32 A cable made up for my i3 just so as to be able to use 22kW charging points (at 11kW) if available. I've not used it on 3 phase so far. It's a little bulky, but not too bad. The long cable has been very useful when the work charging spaces have been ICEd.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got an 8 m long 3 phase 32 A cable made up for my i3 just so as to be able to use 22kW charging points (at 11kW) if available. I've not used it on 3 phase so far. It's a little bulky, but not too bad. The long cable has been very useful when the work charging spaces have been ICEd.
Yes well worth having a long cable for navigating ICEd charge points. My 10 meter also gives me option to park in any orientation on my drive ?

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
I'm tempted to try and get a 3-phase cable.
I noticed your signature says you have 2015 i3. Are you certain your car has the 11kW 3-phase charger? I thought that came with the 94Ah pack. I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Yes well worth having a long cable for navigating ICEd charge points. My 10 meter also gives me option to park in any orientation on my drive ?
You mean like this? :p

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
There is a potential issue with the weight of 3 phase cables when used in some single phase chargers. These chargers come with a very soft metal locking pin which bends easily. I had a locked ’stuck’ plug in a 3.6kW charger earlier this year. I only had the 3 phase cable with me as we used a 22kW post en-route.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Genuine BMW 5 metre 3 phase cable in the Frunk along with compressor kit makes it busy. Takes a bit of packing!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
337 Posts
I persuaded BMW to give me a 3 phase cable instead of the single phase they offered "for free" with my £33,000 car.. I didn't actually compare the thickness/weight but based on details I found online the 5m 3-phase cable is ~1kg heavier than the 1-phase. For the extra 50% charging speed this now makes parking in a public car park pay for itself if you get 11kw charging for free...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I persuaded BMW to give me a 3 phase cable instead of the single phase they offered "for free" with my £33,000 car.. I didn't actually compare the thickness/weight but based on details I found online the 5m 3-phase cable is ~1kg heavier than the 1-phase. For the extra 50% charging speed this now makes parking in a public car park pay for itself if you get 11kw charging for free...
Yes I also achieved the free upgrade, I have found most public chargers are 7kw not many running 11kw and those that do I have found to be tethered anyway on 11kw. I now also have a standard single phase cable much lighter and my wife generally takes this. Longer journeys I take the heavy 3 phase cable gives greater flexibility. It is also 8 meters long so can get around most challenges.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was given a single phase cable with the car but I asked the dealer if they had three phase. They did have them but said that nobody bought them due to the extra size and cost. The reason of course is that there are a limited number of three phase 22kW charging points and, as has been said, it only gives you 11kW instead of 7kW. Best to check where you are likely to be charging before buying.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
337 Posts
I did just want the flexibility. There's at least two free charge points in local car parks that will do 22kw (11 for me) so it's worth having one. I might well still get a single phase at some point, maybe trade the extra phases for more length and keep the overall weight similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts