Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pic of the cables next to each other?
I'm tempted to try and get a 3-phase cable.
I'm sure they're bulkier but not sure by how much. Is the difference obvious? Are the cables marked?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 10 meter 3 phase cable from EVcables.com this cable is massive. The attached photo shows the difference in thickness of the standard BMW Type 2, 32Amp cable vs a 32amp 3 phase cable (this off course can cope with 22Kw if running on 3 phase, remember the i3 can only cope with 11kw). My wife struggles with the 3 phase cable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 3 phase is noticeably thicker and heavier. Given that on the i3 the difference is only 11kw Vs 7kw it's not really worth it, unless you're in a location with lots of 22kw chargers.

I bought both cables and have barely used the 3 phase in the UK. I used it most abroad as in France/Germany 22kw is far more common.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got an 8 m long 3 phase 32 A cable made up for my i3 just so as to be able to use 22kW charging points (at 11kW) if available. I've not used it on 3 phase so far. It's a little bulky, but not too bad. The long cable has been very useful when the work charging spaces have been ICEd.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got an 8 m long 3 phase 32 A cable made up for my i3 just so as to be able to use 22kW charging points (at 11kW) if available. I've not used it on 3 phase so far. It's a little bulky, but not too bad. The long cable has been very useful when the work charging spaces have been ICEd.
Yes well worth having a long cable for navigating ICEd charge points. My 10 meter also gives me option to park in any orientation on my drive 👍

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
I'm tempted to try and get a 3-phase cable.
I noticed your signature says you have 2015 i3. Are you certain your car has the 11kW 3-phase charger? I thought that came with the 94Ah pack. I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
There is a potential issue with the weight of 3 phase cables when used in some single phase chargers. These chargers come with a very soft metal locking pin which bends easily. I had a locked ’stuck’ plug in a 3.6kW charger earlier this year. I only had the 3 phase cable with me as we used a 22kW post en-route.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Genuine BMW 5 metre 3 phase cable in the Frunk along with compressor kit makes it busy. Takes a bit of packing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts