Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video of their new Sion:

Looks interesting... Some inspiration from the Model 3 in terms of simple interior, smaller and taller. Very cheap by all accounts.

Seems like they are sticking with the little forest for air purification too!

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20k Euros, battery owned, or about £17.5k. I heard that is before incentives, which would push it down even more.

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its an i3 with a truly terrible body kit...
Hard to say. They say they are using off the shelf parts, which is reasonable. My understanding is that BMW bought the drivetrain tech in, they didn't develop it themselves.

We shall see I guess. A lot of crowd funded stuff is a scam.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
1. Toyota has a sub-brand in the US called 'Scion'. If it ever looked like this car was going into production, they might just object to the name.

2. I don't know if Sono has any agreement with BMW to rebadge (or disguise and pass-off!) the i3. But that could be tricky. Again, the above proviso!

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Do read the other thread as lots has already been covered.

Another EV maker throws it's hat in the ring.

It is a hatchback with 4 doors that open normally so nothing like an i3 ;)

The car is going into production. They have agreed terms with a company to manufacture but have not yet disclosed name.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Fully Charged had a look at the Sion back in the Summer (videos just out now)

Its a neat little car which some very clever concepts, the solar panels can give up to 18 miles of range a day, the above mentioned moss cleans the air, separate folding seats and a shape that means its small but roomy inside so practical, its got a freaking towbar!...

Downsides, 16k euros plus battery cost which is around 9k euros for a 35kwh pack (around 150 mile range) so not as cheap as thought before, plus the real killer for the UK is no right hand drive model currently planned unless the cars a success

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it me or did they carefully avoid showing the IC or anything else that was previously shown to taken straight out of an i3?

At this stage they should have all that stuff ready to show off. Kinda sad that Fully Charged is giving them publicity.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is it me or did they carefully avoid showing the IC or anything else that was previously shown to taken straight out of an i3?

At this stage they should have all that stuff ready to show off. Kinda sad that Fully Charged is giving them publicity.
Take into account this was filmed in the summer so development is 6/8 months further along, they’ve already said now they’ve picked front wheel drive and the battery,will be interesting to see if other videos show more shots of the newest model

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
And they are still plowing despite the unrealistic expectation/gimmick of solar panels.
Whilst I agree that's it's a gimmick, it's quite a nice one that other manufacturers could do as a premium option.
10 miles a days has it uses.
I do like the idea of a proper normal 240V socket on it. Seems a waste that other cars don't have that as it'd just be using the existing inverter and in theory shouldn't add much cost. Especially useful on vans I'd have thought.
The moss thing is pure BS.

Beyond that it doesn't seem a lot new.
There's certainly enough red flags to avoid putting your money anywhere near it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I looked at the Fully Charged article on YouTube yesterday. I have to agree about the Moss air filter - surely it'll get dry with age and bits will start falling off, landing in your face. As for the solar panels, I would've had them on a solid roof but not the other places. The big solid area aft of the rear side windows will cause visibility problems. Overall, I do like the overall concept of its multifunctionalness (not a real word, but the proper expression escapes me).
I emailed them asking if they were planning on making a RHD version. They replied that they would after the initial LHD launch. If it ever does come to fruition we can check out that version first.

·
9,719 Posts
Save the money put PV on your roof get more than 10miles.

It’s a solution in search of a problem.

I added 150miles of charge in a car park today powered from renewable sources...not a single PV was attached to my car.

It’s almost as absurd as Solar Roadways nonsense.

·
Journeyman Human
308 Posts
If that ever does get to production and it looks even remotely like the prototype it will do untold damage to the EV movement. Seriously, no one in their right mind is going to want to be driving around in something that hideous looking, it makes the Leaf look like a beauty queen! :eek:

·
Registered
626 Posts
If that ever does get to production and it looks even remotely like the prototype it will do untold damage to the EV movement. Seriously, no one in their right mind is going to want to be driving around in something that hideous looking, it makes the Leaf look like a beauty queen! :eek:
Almost 10.000 people, whom made a payment for a reservation do think differently than you.

The car is not looking too bad, and it will be "unique" and "unconventional" ... something that gives a free discussion topic at the pub (y)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts