Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps, I GOT MY CAR TODAY woo hooo...
Love it.

I like to sit in the car and listen to some music before going into the house sometimes... So I found out that I should definitley avoid using the 12v battery as it will run flat and the car won't start... so how to I get from driving to "ignition on". Do I turn off the car and then press the start button once?
See here, it seems the battey indicator on the music interface is showing very low, but the car battery is over 50%.
Am I using the 12v here, how do I know what I am using?
TX folks,
Mark.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That leaves the DRLs or lights on depending on how you have it set. You can turn it off then back on without your foot on the brake.
Glad that you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions and comments,
I suppose it would be logical to just leave it on (or leaf it on... pa-dunk)
Im just not used to that as a viable idea, but I guess why not. I wonder what the power consumption difference is between ON but stationary and one-press-standby mode (not sure what it's called) ?
tx

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
As long as your lights are off and the zircon / heatings off, then negligible difference I would think. Since its all from the HV battery its near 100% efficient, if you use the 12v with car in standby then the 12 v will just get topped as needed from the HV battery anyway. So I think its as broad as it is long.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Your interface is different from mine, I don't have the little blue square design on the bluetooth music screen
!

Which model do you have?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your interface is different from mine, I don't have the little blue square design on the bluetooth music screen
!
Thats the old carwings interface that was used until late 2015. From that point forward they moved to ConnectEV with a new design and the addition of a DAB Digital radio and a few other things.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
Hello peeps, I GOT MY CAR TODAY woo hooo...
Love it.

I like to sit in the car and listen to some music before going into the house sometimes... So I found out that I should definitley avoid using the 12v battery as it will run flat and the car won't start... so how to I get from driving to "ignition on". Do I turn off the car and then press the start button once?
See here, it seems the battey indicator on the music interface is showing very low, but the car battery is over 50%.
Am I using the 12v here, how do I know what I am using?
TX folks,
Mark.
View attachment 132929
View attachment 132928
Do nothing. Just pull up! Power off before you go inside, that's all.

You're still in ICE-thinking mode. There's nothing to 'turn off' that you don't actually want 'on'. (Maybe the lights/DRL but they are a law unto themselves, you will never tame them!)

·
Registered
348 Posts
On returning from a "little run out" on Sunday starting from 100% charge, there was a minor domestic emergency (our ageing demented cat had disgraced himself), I hurriedly left the car in the garage. I didn't use it yesterday, but my son went late-night shopping in his Citroen sofa bus and told me my sidelights were on. The Leaf had been left switched on for well over 28 hrs by that time. I made a mental note of the batt. percentage when I garaged it 67%; the battery now shows 66%.
So for a period of over 24 hrs, the battery drain when leaving it on (with led DRL's) is a measly 1%.

Interestingly spooky this thread should co-incide eh? :devilish:

Reactions: MarkPalmos

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So for a period of over 24 hrs, the battery drain when leaving it on (with led DRL's) is a measly 1%.
Interestingly spooky this thread should co-incide eh? :devilish:
😊 very encouraging (not the cat, of course ;) My "pet concern" is I will sometimes be taking our two large doodles for a walk then a swim in a pond. They shake before getting in the car but they'd still be pretty wet. I have a picnic blanket for the back but was concerned about the subwoofer, not sure how damp/wet durable that is! Maybe I'll cover it with a thick plastic sheet... and pray for no disgraceful demented fecal episodes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Take my advice and just remove it, stick it in your loft until you sell the Leaf.
The extra space is a real bonus, and would be great for your pooch, only a few bolts and one plug.

The difference is practically zero, it just enhances lower to mid frequencies. The driver is about 4". In order to hear lower frequencies you need to have a substantial sub-woofer at least 10" in diameter.
The laws of physics cannot be subverted, you need to physically move a substantial body of air to achieve lower frequencies.
Think about pipe organs in major cathedrals. They have 64ft pipes, about 10" in diameter to achieve the chest rattling bass produced. The bose cannon systems I have fitted into many pubs and night clubs have banks of massive sub-woofers to get that chest-thumping lower frequencies effect.
You are fooling yourself if you think that poxy subbie in the Leaf is doing anything substantial.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take my advice and just remove it, stick it in your loft until you sell the Leaf.
I wonder if I can temporarily unplug it without removing it so I can do an A-B comparison. I do like hearing/feeling the bottom end, and already know I'm not going to get that in the Leaf, but I'd hate to reduce what's already a bit thin in that department ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as your lights are off and the zircon / heatings off, then negligible difference I would think. Since its all from the HV battery its near 100% efficient, if you use the 12v with car in standby then the 12 v will just get topped as needed from the HV battery anyway.
I'ts just that I'd read some warning about depleating the 12v. I'm yet to find where that battery's power is shown.

Which model do you have?
2015 Tekna 3.3kw 24kw
BTW the advert had said DAB radio, but there isn't one. Minor disappointment as coverage is pretty crappy anyway.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I wonder if I can temporarily unplug it without removing it so I can do an A-B comparison. I do like hearing/feeling the bottom end, and already know I'm not going to get that in the Leaf, but I'd hate to reduce what's already a bit thin in that department ;)
To leave more room for my full size spare wheel, I've removed two of the bolts then swivelled the unit around the third so that it now points 'fore&aft' rather than 'port-to-starboard'.

·
Registered
348 Posts
To leave more room for my full size spare wheel, I've removed two of the lots then swivelled the unit around the third so that it now points 'fore&aft' rather than 'port-to-starboard'.
That's a good idea for those that really like that poxy subbie! I think you meant bolts or nuts not lots..:LOL:.....

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'ts just that I'd read some warning about depleating the 12v. I'm yet to find where that battery's power is shown.
As long as the car is on as @JohnMars's suggests you will not deplete the 12v - it is being topped up from the DC-DC converter (the EV equivalent of an ICE alternator).

The 12v battery power isn't shown anywhere. Some of us run voltmeters direct from the 12v to see what is going on, but beware the voltage alone is only part of the story and is completely meaningless when the DC-DC converter is running.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, it isn't like the old days with valve amplifiers requiring a load, an open-circuit with IC or dicrete solid-state devices is/are just fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts