Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of skiing holiday this easter. Anyone any recommendations re destination and/or thoughts re practicality of driving there in a model s? I've promised my wife and 12 yr old son their first skiing this easter - and with new charger locations announced daily I'm thinking could also look at possiblity for driving down as i'm due for delivery on my 85kw S feb 15. Seems to be superchargers south of geneva, and another further south-east in chambery - however very out of touch in terms of resorts/likelyhood of reasonable easter conditions as last trip almost 30 years ago!

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Given the size of Tesla's market share in Norway, how about researching ski resorts there?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Depends what you want, I guess both are novices, so you'll want something fairly steady with lots of blues, and less focus on the Apres Ski, preferably at a decent altitude.

Last few times I have gone at Easter we went for the higher resorts for better conditions. This year I went to Chamonix, last year was Obertauern. In both cases it was getting pretty slushy towards the end of the day (though we were the week after the kids holidays on a lads trip). Obertauern didn't need a car, but Chamonix our rented Galaxy was required on a daily basis (though you could go by public transport, but I hate the ski bus)

I've done a couple of family ski trips over Christmas in Morzine, and they were great balance for kids, and ski to door, but it'll be sketchy weather wise in April :(

You had better check on legislation with regard tyres. I know the model S is good in the snow, but I'd imagine you'd want winter tyres, and I seem to remember certain places they are required by law.

Also there's some fair altitude gain even from Geneva, snow and cold temperatures will also hurt your consumption. I suspect you could get there, as it's now possible to drive from my house in Nottingham to Monaco on Superchargers, but I'd want to stay in accommodation with guaranteed EV bay if I'm honest, as there's a fair chance your car will be sat for a long time in freezing conditions.

I went to a few ski-resorts this summer on a drive to Monaco, and didn't see many charging bays, but then I was in an ICE so didn't look that hard.

Hope that helps you narrow something down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Les Gets / Morzine isn't too far. We go skiing there most Easters, and often drive. The resorts are about 550 miles from Calais. Looks like there are superchargers along at the route at Reims, Dijon and Archamps (near Geneva). Would these allow you to make the trip?

·
Registered
187 Posts
We've always had good skiing conditions in Easter (probably we have been for every Easter in the last 15 years). Even if Morzine itself isn't very snowy, there is always good snow in Avoriaz.

Winter tyres aren't obligatory, but if it has been snowing then you will be obliged to put on snow chains before you drive up to the resort.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
We've always had good skiing conditions in Easter (probably we have been for every Easter in the last 15 years). Even if Morzine itself isn't very snowy, there is always good snow in Avoriaz.
Winter tyres aren't obligatory, but if it has been snowing then you will be obliged to put on snow chains before you drive up to the resort.
Good to know.

I've always fancied Avoriaz with the kids (I'm a sucker for Ski to door). We stayed in Le Viking in Morzine, a couple of times, and loved it, but I can imagine it would be a pain getting to Avoriaz if the bottom slopes were out of action.

IIRC Avoriaz is car free with a big car park, Archamps to Avoriaz is about 50 miles, so even with the car sat for a week you should have enough to get back to the Supercharger. :cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you stay in the Prodains area of Morzine, they have just installed a fancy telecabine which links directly to the slopes in Avoriaz. This will be extended soon to start in the middle of Morzine!

·
Registered
964 Posts
This is probably your best all round information resource, thoroughly recommended;
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
They have been going well over 100 years.
I would second high resorts at that time of year but choose based on ability of group as some of the high ones are also steep almost everywhere and not for any early intermediates.
I am a member and one of those volunteer ski leaders you will see on the site:).
I spent 9 weeks in the Alps each of the last three British winters and don't know a better antidote.
Hope that helps, enjoy planning and have fun.
Edit..If anyone would like a member discount I can do that for you too;).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alan, I'm planning to drive my 85 from Somerset down to Meribel at the end of January for a few days. west Drayton are fitting my winter wheels this Wednesday and we've been told to expect delivery of snow chains by mid Jan latest. On my return I'll post a quick summary....I'm sure it'll be great fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alan, I'm planning to drive my 85 from Somerset down to Meribel at the end of January for a few days. west Drayton are fitting my winter wheels this Wednesday and we've been told to expect delivery of snow chains by mid Jan latest. On my return I'll post a quick summary....I'm sure it'll be great fun.

I know this an old thread but has anyone else done this trip sinc it was posted? Also any feedback on how much the snow chains cost, what size wheels did you have?

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,115 Posts
Last March when we drove to the alps (in an ICE), we stayed for one night here in Chambery Hotel Altedia, Chambery, France before heading up to Val Thorens. They had a whole bank of Tesla Superchargers and I thought that this is the perfect place to stop before the climb up to the alps and take a charge.

Val Thorens is a car free resort, so you park in a garage (keeps the car at a good temperature) and I think that http://www.valthoparc.com has charging points in the garage. If you leave with a full charge, I recon that you could regen all the way down to the valley and hit the motorway with pretty much full charge!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For a resort like Val Thorens, you won't need winter tyres, but you will need to pack chains just in case. If is snows on the way up or down to the resort, pop the chains on and as you will be at the foot of the slopes, you won't use your car at all during the week.

Austria is different as many resorts are not at the foot of the slopes, so you may drive or jump on a bus each day.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sorry I did not read the first post properly. Easter is really late next year (April 16), so just go to Val Thorens, don't even look anywhere else. I know others may have some views and it is not the most pretty resort, but trust me, you would rather have snow than slush each day. It is the highest resort in Europe (most of the slopes are over 2000 metres) and will probably have some of the best conditions this late. There are other high resorts in Europe to consider, but it is easy to drive to Val Thorens, there is plenty of accommodation right at the foot of the piste and in my experience, April is OK. Norway and Sweden will be also be good, but harder to get to.

The Tesla will be great, charge in Chambery before the drive up the hill.

If you are renting an apartment, there is loads to chose from on the usual apartment/villa sites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't advise much on the skiing aspects, however we tend to go to Kitzbuhel in the summer, which is a fantastic place for families - 2 mountains on the doorstep with cable cars, lovely town with friendly people and great food, and obviously most importantly - a supercharger!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My advice would be to keep high. I've been to Les Arcs (Arc 1950) many Easters over the last 10 years and it's usually pretty good. It's a great time to learn snowboarding as it's softer. Like VT it has many slopes 2000+ metres but it's a lot prettier and 1950 is fully ski in/out with underground parking. There's a fab spa too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You can only fit chains to 19" wheels. Austria requires winter tyres from 01 November to 15 April if the weather conditions are "wintry". There are SuCs in St Anton, Innsbruck and Kitzbuhel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We've been driving to Tignes in our ICE for 5 years. Last year was the first time in our Model S. I have to say it is the best car I have ever driven there. It was a delight when driving up the mountain from Chambery, and we arranged parking in the underground car park of our apartment which had a power point. Before we went we bought a Tesla EU Adaptor, and I made up a short EU extension lead so I could turn the plug 180 degrees if the polarity was reversed. I also took a long extension lead. We didn't use the car for the week, so the 13A charge rate was not an issue.

TOP TIP:- Only charge to 95% before you leave and come back down the mountain, otherwise you will have no regen for about 80 miles! We managed to get -150Wh/mi at one point, and the percentage went up to 97% because of the regen.

We used the Paris (Senlis) route, but that was very busy this year because it fell on Good Friday. We made a road-trip of the journey back, via Luxembourg. It cost quite bit in hotels, as we stayed in those with Superchargers (which were far more luxurious than our usual budget lodgings!), but that was offset by the lack of fuel cost. You need to plan your route and stops in advance, but it is definitely worth doing.

We decided not to opt for Winter tires, as the majority of the journey was around 12 degrees C. I bought two sets of Auto Socks, so we could fit them to all four wheels. (You can only fit snow chains to 19" rear wheels). The weather was very good, so we didn't need them, but they are a great backup plan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinking of skiing holiday this easter. Anyone any recommendations re destination and/or thoughts re practicality of driving there in a model s? I've promised my wife and 12 yr old son their first skiing this easter - and with new charger locations announced daily I'm thinking could also look at possiblity for driving down as i'm due for delivery on my 85kw S feb 15. Seems to be superchargers south of geneva, and another further south-east in chambery - however very out of touch in terms of resorts/likelyhood of reasonable easter conditions as last trip almost 30 years ago!
Drove my 85D from Anglesey to Samoens for a week in february. No problem whatsoever, superchargers all the way. stayed overnight near Chalons on the way down and on the way back. very straightforward. Didn't charge at the resort as its only 40Km from Archamps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts