Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Desperately seeking . . . . . a Citigo-e SEL owner who has a PodPoint 7kW domestic charge point in the UK! I got a Citigo-e SEL at the end of last year. Very happy with it apart from the issue of the charge rate on a domestic charge point on a normal UK single phase residential supply. I have submitted information to the dealership which shows that my 7.2kW Wallbox Pulsar Plus is only charging at 4kW. When I test it on a friend's Smart electric car, it quite happily charges at the full rate of 7kW. But when charging the Citigo, the on-board charger in the car is clearly limiting the charge rate to 4kW. The dealership are trying to say this is because my charge point is a Wallbox, not the "recommended" PodPoint. I am sure this reduction in the charge rate will happen exactly the same when the car is connected to a PodPoint but I'd really appreciate hard evidence from someone who has this combination of car and domestic charge point. Hopingt somebody out there can help! Many thanks. DaveMac

·
Registered
57 Posts
Morning,

Have a read through the Citigoe IV thread below this one and you will get the full picture about the charging - nothing to do with the charger all down to the car.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Morning,

Have a read through the Citigoe IV thread below this one and you will get the full picture about the charging - nothing to do with the charger all down to the car.
Indeed. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you feel the need to prove it, go to a public 7kW (not 22kW) point and record the charge rate there. If you bought the car on the basis of getting that 7kW rate, I'm afraid it's been mis-sold. It can't do it on a UK single phase supply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning,

Hi. Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, just as I feared - all down to the car and being miss-sold. Shame, because it's a great wee car for our pattern of use. From another source, I've also been shown that PodPoint's own web site also states that on single phase domestic UK supply the Citigo charge rate is limited down to this paltry 3.6kW rate (ŠKODA CITIGOe iV (2020) Charging Guide | Pod Point) The dealership is clearly trying to help. It is Skoda UK that has been failing to inform its dealerships properly about the vehicles it is supplying them. The dealership workshop "think" there may be a vehicle software update which can address the problem. Personally I doubt it, but I'll keep pressing them and post the outcome here once I have it. Will probably not be for a couple of months at least.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi. Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, just as I feared - all down to the car and being miss-sold. Shame, because it's a great wee car for our pattern of use. From another source, I've also been shown that PodPoint's own web site also states that on single phase domestic UK supply the Citigo charge rate is limited down to this paltry 3.6kW rate (ŠKODA CITIGOe iV (2020) Charging Guide | Pod Point) The dealership is clearly trying to help. It is Skoda UK that has been failing to inform its dealerships properly about the vehicles it is supplying them. The dealership workshop "think" there may be a vehicle software update which can address the problem. Personally I doubt it, but I'll keep pressing them and post the outcome here once I have it. Will probably not be for a couple of months at least.
What is happening with Skoda seems to be a mystery as my Mii was upgraded by the dealer and now charges at 7.2kW - you would think that VW/Seat/Skoda could speak to each other - either this isn't happening or there are differences in the cars build but this is doubtful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is happening with Skoda seems to be a mystery as my Mii was upgraded by the dealer and now charges at 7.2kW - you would think that VW/Seat/Skoda could speak to each other - either this isn't happening or there are differences in the cars build but this is doubtful.
Thanks. Very interesting. I'll press my Skoda dealership on this Mii upgrading. Can you please give me the contact details for the Seat dealership which did the upgrade for you? Also, what make/model of domestic charge point do you have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks. Very interesting. I'll press my Skoda dealership on this Mii upgrading. Can you please give me the contact details for the Seat dealership which did the upgrade for you? Also, what make/model of domestic charge point do you have?
My dealer is Johnsons Seat in Preston and my domestic charger is a Zappi.

·
Registered
134 Posts
DaveMac, a number of us are having this problem, and are in contact with Skoda UK about it.

To be fair to Skoda UK, as far as I know they have not dismissed the issue as being a charge point problem. They have updated the charge software on a number of affected cars and supplied a heavier charge cable foc, but many are still not charging at the correct 7.2kW rate on single phase.

Currently Skoda UK have a car at their technical centre to examine the problem - we are waiting to hear what the outcome is.

If you contact Skoda UK they are well aware of the problem!

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DaveMac, a number of us are having this problem, and are in contact with Skoda UK about it.

To be fair to Skoda UK, as far as I know they have not dismissed the issue as being a charge point problem. They have updated the charge software on a number of affected cars and supplied a heavier charge cable foc, but many are still not charging at the correct 7.2kW rate on single phase.

Currently Skoda UK have a car at their technical centre to examine the problem - we are waiting to hear what the outcome is.

If you contact Skoda UK they are well aware of the problem!

Keep us informed.
Hi. Thanks for this. At the moment I'm pushing my dealership to be doing all the contact with Skoda UK. I'll forward onto them the info that Skoda's technical centre are currently working on the problem. You don't have contact details for their technical centre do you?

·
Registered
134 Posts
DaveMac, all we know is that the tech centre is in Milton Keynes. I suggest you tell your dealer that Skoda UK are aware of the fault, and have been since at least October last year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greybeard, Hi. Thanks again for your help on this. I'll pass this info on to my dealership (Henry's of Glasgow). If I get any joy from them in due course I'll post it here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today I have received the following from Skoda UK - does anyone (apart from Inskip!) have anything I can feed back to Skoda UK? Not sure if anyone on this board owns the vehicle which is at MK at the moment and has any update?

I hope you are well this morning.

I still, as of today, am yet to receive any updates as to the status of this other CITIGO iV.

Have you been able to receive any updates from your end?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer is Johnsons Seat in Preston and my domestic charger is a Zappi.
Hello
Apologies is posting twice on the same thread.
Just been reading the helpful thread about charging speeds, I'm thinking of buying a 1 year old Seat Mii and asked the dealership if they knew about this issue and they weren't helpful, so before commiting to buy this model I wondered if you or anyone on the thread ever managed to fix the issue and are now able to charge at 7.2kw with 32a using the new 32a cable? The car I'm interested in is 300 miles away so don't want it delivered only to discover it has this charging issue, is there any advice I could give the dealership or instructions I can tell the dealership to do to ensure the software upgrade works before buying it, accordingly to them they've never even heard.of this issue!! Also forgot to ask does anyone know if car dealerships have single phase 7.2kw home chargers on site in the showroom as maybe I could.ask them to test it out and show me that it charges accordingly before I commit to buying it, guessing they may only have larger speed commercial chargers on site?
Thanks
Liz

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,
Our Seat has been upgraded by the local dealer to charge at 7.2kW, but that seems to be a rare event! Our dealer has a charger but its a larger CCS DC charger so the Mii will charge fine from that and it's not a test for charging at 7.2kW on a home charger. I had to wait until I got mine home after the work to be certain it had been successful. The cable we got with the car is suitable and didn't have to be changed.
You could suggest the dealer talks to Johnsons Seat but they may not do this? Are they a Seat dealer themselves? Where are you located - you could ask Johnsons for a cost to upgrade if it hasn't been done - obviously not an ideal solution though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply. I'm.based up in Edinburgh and the Seat dealership is in Poole! Thought I might drive the car up here myself as they're quoting £500 for transport if I buy it and I guess I could always pass Preston Seat on the way up and if its not possible to do the upgrade or it doesn't work I could return the car under the 14 day distance selling guarantee if all the payment and paperwork were signed before receiving the car. All sounds like such a hassle though would be so much easier if they could just assure me that it charges correctly before I buy it. All the salesman said when I said 10 hours to charge is not so great on 3.6kw if that's the case is that how often wouId I be charging it fully from zero percent anyway- not exactly a helpful response or solution!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If it is of any help in your decision, consider how you will use the car, and is charging for at least 6 or 7 hours overnight going to be an issue? It is unlikely you will ever charge 0 - 100%, most would recharge at say 20% to take to say 80%, as this preserves battery life.
However, which cars don't have the charging fault is almost impossible to determine without observing the charge rate on a 240v single phase charger (ie like a home charge point)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply and info, yes that's a good point I doubt I'd ever require a full 10 hour charge, the salesman today said he plugged it into a 7.2kw charger at work and he said battery was at 20 percent and showed that it would take 5 hours to get to 100 percent so he said that proves its had the software upgrade. Of course there's no way of knowing he's telling the truth or if the charger at work is using a single or triple phase. I think to be on the safe side for a couple of thousand pounds more i could buy a new model, apparently Seat announced last week they're releasing 250 new models of the Mii in the UK from July so may opt for a new one as the salesman assures me the new ones have definitely had software update e installed when manufactured.....so they say!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts