Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just leased an 80 sport line but am struggling to set up the delayed charging option to work correctly. I’ve set up a location and activated it and it definitely does delay - I plugged it in at 6pm and it didn’t start until 10pm - but not for the window I set (midnight to 5am). Also, it’s charging at 1kW using the same kW charger we use for our Renault Zoe - successful on a delay, I might add.
Any advice or learnings would be welcomed. I’ve contacted Skoda but other forums don’t give promising answers….

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
i think theres a menu option to charge at a slower speed, so that might explain your ~1kw charging. No idea on the delay though, ive always found that a faff on my previous EV's and i just have the timer on the charge point instead.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
I've tried twice to set times charging at night and it has failed. Other owners report the same thing, it doesn't work. The first time I tried on a 7kW wallbox AC charger at my home, it dribbled in about 1-2 kW for a couple of hours and then gave up. I tried during the day to test it out and it just suddenly stopped after ten minutes.
Coom80, please let us know what Skoda tell you. To my mind the whole thing is flawed conceptually: overnight charging is a vital function and would be reliable if it simply used the car's on-board clock as a timer. But instead, Skoda have chosen a hi-tech solution which not only requires satellite verification of your location, but I think also won't connect if you don't have a GSM signal where you're parked to link to Skoda remote services. Ridiculous...:(
Many people have not even able to find the remote charging menu as it is buried in a submenu called 'location' - and if you don't set a location you don't get the charging menu at all (... not that it works).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried twice to set times charging at night and it has failed. Other owners report the same thing, it doesn't work. The first time I tried on a 7kW wallbox AC charger at my home, it dribbled in about 1-2 kW for a couple of hours and then gave up. I tried during the day to test it out and it just suddenly stopped after ten minutes.
Coom80, please let us know what Skoda tell you. To my mind the whole thing is flawed conceptually: overnight charging is a vital function and would be reliable if it simply used the car's on-board clock as a timer. But instead, Skoda have chosen a hi-tech solution which not only requires satellite verification of your location, but I think also won't connect if you don't have a GSM signal where you're parked to link to Skoda remote services. Ridiculous...:(
Many people have not even able to find the remote charging menu as it is buried in a submenu called 'location' - and if you don't set a location you don't get the charging menu at all (... not that it works).
Thanks Nick. Will do. Spoke to Skoda support who apologised and then batted me back to the dealer who has no clue. I’m lucky that I have a pod point charger and can schedule it that way.
I agree, it’s fundamentally not right. Hopefully Skoda are working it and we’ll get an update….

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
Skoda support are being really unfair bouncing back questions that they know full well cannot be answered by the dealers. It's unfair on both their customers and their dealers. I'm having similar problem with the MySkoda app - I ask specific questions about the implementation of this piece of software and they push me on to Skoda customer servies rather than answering. They are playing internal ping-pong... clearly a departmentalised company that isn't joined up.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
If you cannot set a timed charging period for overnight ( low rate) charging, then it is an important omission from what should be a standard feature on all EVs. My local dealer skirted round the issue, saying it should be possible. (budding politician).
I just wouldn't buy an EV without that facility.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, looking at the posts in this thread, and having just taken delivery of my Enyaq, I was wondering if anyone has managed to get their Enyaq to charge successfully overnight?

If so how?! I haven't found the option yet...

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
188 Posts
This is a known issue on the whole MEB platform (ENYAQ, ID3/4, etc). There is meant to be a fix for it, but VW group (VWG) are still finding their way with how this all works and we can't even get over the air (OTA) updates on the ENYAQ yet, the ID3/4 cars are the guinea pigs for it. Once they have OTA updates working properly we should see this fix. That wont be until around Q2 2022 when the ENYAQ coupe is released according to Skoda.

For now, the best option you have it so schedule it via your charger if you can.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,834 Posts
I’d say my experience is do the opposite to what has just been said (sorry!), set it up in the car and let the charger be ‘dumb’.

This is for an ID.3 though, obviously you need to do whatever works for you.

I create a charging location, and then for that location set a charge to a minimum level immediately when plugged in. I use 20%. Next select your ‘charge to’ percentage, which I have set to 80%.

Then find the ‘preferred times’ option and select whatever off peak hours you want it to charge in. I set mine to 0105 to 0745 seven days a week to take account of the Economy 7 tariff I’m on.

That’s it, I don’t set a departure time, unless I want one, and I know it’s set correctly when I plug the car in and it goes immediately to a fast flashing green light in the charge port, assuming it’s above 20% otherwise it charges immediately to that level first.

At 0105, the car wakes up and starts charging, then it shuts down again at my end time if it hasn’t finished charging by then.

That’s it, and it repeats again until at my set battery percentage.

I use an Ohme cable, but not any of its smart features, which I can’t get working around here due to mobile signal issues.

It’s not the most intuitive system, I’ll admit, and others seem to be having success with using their chargers to schedule things.

I’m assuming here that the underlying OS is the same on the Enyaq as the ID.3, but it’s working reliably for me at the moment.

The Tesla M3 on the other hand…

·
Registered
188 Posts
@Tooks are you on v2.3 software and did you previously have the older versions where this was broken? I'd heard that they had potentially sorted it out on the ID3/4 in v2.3, but the ENYAQ is on a version between v2.1 and v2.3. On the Facebook group threads the ENYAQ schedules are very much broken like the ID cars were previously.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,834 Posts
@Tooks are you on v2.3 software and did you previously have the older versions where this was broken? I'd heard that they had potentially sorted it out on the ID3/4 in v2.3, but the ENYAQ is on a version between v2.1 and v2.3. On the Facebook group threads the ENYAQ schedules are very much broken like the ID cars were previously.
Yes, I’m on 2.3, and prior to my electricity supplier going bust had never needed to charge on timers so never tried it.

If the Enyaq is on v2.1.5 or some such, then yes it might be different/as broken as the old setup on the ID.3.

I think on 2.1, people were getting some success scheduling a departure time at the end of the window with the ID.3?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, I’m on 2.3, and prior to my electricity supplier going bust had never needed to charge on timers so never tried it.

If the Enyaq is on v2.1.5 or some such, then yes it might be different/as broken as the old setup on the ID.3.

I think on 2.1, people were getting some success scheduling a departure time at the end of the window with the ID.3?
Yup sounds about right. I do see to remember there was some fudge that you could do on the previous versions, but that was quite a long time before I got my ENYAQ so forgotten what it is now. My Zappi works to schedule it, so I've not looked into it. I seem to remember one of the fixes was to create two windows back to back or something like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’d say my experience is do the opposite to what has just been said (sorry!), set it up in the car and let the charger be ‘dumb’.

I create a charging location, and then for that location set a charge to a minimum level immediately when plugged in. I use 20%. Next select your ‘charge to’ percentage, which I have set to 80%.

Then find the ‘preferred times’ option and select whatever off peak hours you want it to charge in. I set mine to 0105 to 0745 seven days a week to take account of the Economy 7 tariff I’m on.

That’s it, I don’t set a departure time, unless I want one, and I know it’s set correctly when I plug the car in and it goes immediately to a fast flashing green light in the charge port, assuming it’s above 20% otherwise it charges immediately to that level first.

At 0105, the car wakes up and starts charging, then it shuts down again at my end time if it hasn’t finished charging by then.

I use an Ohme cable, but not any of its smart features, which I can’t get working around here due to mobile signal issues.

It’s not the most intuitive system, I’ll admit, and others seem to be having success with using their chargers to schedule things.

I’m assuming here that the underlying OS is the same on the Enyaq as the ID.3, but it’s working reliably for me at the moment.

I will certainly have a look at that. My charger is a PodPoint and very dumb I think - maybe my mistake getting one like that - but I have seen the option to create a charging location so I'll give that a go - thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts

So I have tried the approach you suggested and I think the Enyaq software might be a bit behind that of the ID3/4. I can set a location ok, but although there is a "charge immediately to..." line, I haven't found a way to input anything. Also, there are no "preferred charging times" options, just departure times. I have set it up anyway (flashing green light on the charging port) and will see if it wakes up and completes the charge before 0430 (which I have set as departure time).

Annoyingly, the Manual appears very reluctant to download on the car so I am doing all this (and everything else) by trial and error!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I have tried two ways of setting delayed charging - both worked - sort of!

The first is to do as suggested above - use the on-board software to set a location and then set up a departure time. That worked in that the charger woke up and charged the car at 2.7KWh (not the full 7). However, it started earlier than the cheap period o/n (because I can't set a preferred time slot) and finished slightly later. The actual charge at departure time was about 5% below the desired level interestingly.

The second is to set the on-board software without charging schedules for the "home location" and just use the charger itself. I have a PodPoint, which I thought was quite dumb, but actually once the car had been connected for the first time the app then also offered me charging schedules for each day of the week. This worked fine and the car charged at 7KWh during the cheap o/n period (Octopus Go 5p per kWh from 0030 to 0430). To get the option of schedules I did have to say I have an Economy 7 meter, which I don't , but that is a minor issue.

One thing is that with 4 hours cheap charging at 7KWh rate, I will need to start at about 50% to get to 100% (if I need that). Of course, mostly I will charge to 80% so a starting point of about 30% should be fine. That means the option to "charge immediately to X%" - as mentioned by Tooks would be useful - if I could get it to work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts