Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here as we just enter The world of EVs.

We have a company car list to choose a car from. We will have this car for 4 years. the options we have narrowed down to are:

Skoda Enyaq IV Estate 132kW 60 Loft Nav 62kWh 5Dr Auto
or
Kia E-niro Electric Estate 150kW 3 64kWh 5Dr Auto

I‘d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on the pros & cons of these cars. As we are so new to this, I don’t want us to miss something because of lack of understanding.

thank you!

Incase you need to know more about us:
We have two children aged 14 and 12. We have always driven estate cars which have worked perfectly for our lifestyle of carting paddle boards and bikes around. We drive to France a couple of times a year for skiing and a summer holiday. We have the option of trading our currently small second car in for a ‘normal’ car for these longer trips if needed. We do fairly regular 100 mile trips to see parents.

·
Super Moderator
7,570 Posts
The Niro is good but it’s not really an estate, just a large and high hatchback. If you haven’t seen one in person, do so, you might be disappointed in the boot space. The width and height are ok but the length is not great. I don’t think, even with wheels removed, that you’d fit bikes in the back.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
531 Posts
Both of those will have no problems doing 100 miles, 200 might will be a push for the Enyaq especially in winter unless it's mainly on slower roads.

The E-niro will probably go a little further but I'm not sure if it would do 200 at normal motorway speeds (70+) in winter.

The Enyaq main advantage over the Niro would be the space both in the cabin and boot and the charging speed but that's only if 100kW or 125kW charging is specified as an option otherwise it would charge slower at 50kW.

I think both cars would probably do you well and both are really good EVs, try the Niro on a test drive as it edges it on range and if it is big enough and you like it go for that. The Enyaq isn't out for test drives yet but the ID4 is nearly the same just different interior and skin so also test drive that.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
531 Posts
The Niro is good but it’s not really an estate, just a large and high hatchback. If you haven’t seen one in person, do so, you might be disappointed in the boot space. The width and height are ok but the length is not great. I don’t think, even with wheels removed, that you’d fit bikes in the back.
Yep forgot to say bikes would have to go on the roof in the Niro the boot is big but not a great shape.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! We usually put our bikes on a rack attached to the tow bar. I guess you can still do that on an EV? Or maybe we need to look at roof racks.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
First thoughts are Kia is tried-and-trusted, slightly ageing tech now, versus brand-spanking-new less tried-and-trusted but with newer & hopefully better tech.

Either will do your 100 mile trips no bother. I think the Enyaq will have faster Rapid charging, and that could be very useful if doing a long trip across France with kids who are maybe getting tired/bored & so you want to spend as little time as poss at a topup before moving on to destination.

I was in a position of owning an Ioniq, probably similar internally to Kia at a guess; all the buttons & gadgets you expect, and lots of switches knobs to control them. E.g. 4 switches on drivers door control 4 windows, rocker button selects left/right mirror, then rocker-knob moves selected mirror around. Separate button for selecting air-recirculate instantly. Several buttons for playing with aircon settings. Separate button for turning Lane-Following-Assist off, this annoys me on narrow country lane when it tugs at the wheel as you go up the verge to avoid on-coming car etc. Separate button to start/stop the car's electrics (equiv to the old engone start/stop). So all in all, it's the usual, familiar pattern of controls that have evolved gradually over last 20 or so years.

Then I bought an ID.3, expecting this to be better in every way. Super quiet interior, hardly able to detect tyre noise etc, great chassis with nice neutral handling. Mechanically & motor-wise it's a definite improvement, no question.

What changed radically was the user interface. It's gone all minimalist, with hardly any buttons. 2 switches control window up/down, separate button selects front/rear pair, and you have to look down to see this illuminated selector button light up, or not, depending if you touched it right. Rotary knob/joystick selects one of 4 lit positions, 2 of which are the left & right mirrors. Again you have to look down to see what you selected, other 2 positions fold/open the mirrors, and heat them. Only when you've selected the correct position 1 of 4 does the rotary knob move the chosen mirror. Want to recirculate the air/adjust air-con stuff? Press the dedicated one-only button for A/C stuff, the central screen then fills with A/C panel (you've lost your satnav for the moment), with picture of the expected buttons, air-to-face, air-to-body, air-to-feet, air-recirculate, etc stuff. I tried using the voice reco to "Hello ID set air to recirculate" and got a popup message "aircon cannot be controlled by voice" or somesuch. Maybe they've fixed this. Engine start-stop is automatic. Get it & sit down, car is already powered on. Get out & shut the door, car turns off. You might not want this if e.g you want to inspect car to see if all lights working etc. But generally this is very slick.

If you have the car setup the way you want it, it works nicely. But if yo want to adjust somethign as you drive, there's a lot of prodding the central screen to adjust stuff. Which means eyes off he road, because there are so few buttons. Want to turn off LFA as you realise a few yards down the road that you forgot to? (5* safety regs require this to always be on at power-up!) Press dedicated button to bring up car-control settings panel, stab screen at bottom left where picture shows pic of car & road dotted lines, up pops new screen with several choice buttons & stab the one to deselect LFA stuff. So it's a 3-button combo, with screen watchign needed, while Ioniq it's a single dedicated button which I know the exact positio of.

I just found this whole minimalist approach really tedious and slow to use, and distracting while driving. I didn't like it. In the end I sold the ID.3, and am glad I did. I really do like the Ioniq's controls. One button takes you straight there, unlike the messy screen-poking needed to find that ruddy button in the first place on ID.3 central screen. And I can live with the slightly less range, and much slower charging. Do check the charging rates on Kia!

I'd suggest you simulate some of your frence trips using abetterrouteplanner.com and these 2 cars, that will give you a good idea of how long these should take, how long you have to stop to topup. It may be that faster topups proves decisive, and overcomes all other considerations.

I don't know if the Skoda UI is very like VW one, and is all minimalist, but do check this out! If you can live with lack of traditional buttons, then fine. Maybe I'm too old to adapt, but I found the new UI irritating and obstructive, and potentially distracting while driving.

ID.3 has a virtually non-existent glovebox! Once the car's tiny manual is in there, no space for anything sensible like mini-binoculars, emergency flashing torch, etc, as there's a fusebox occupying 90% of the space! Hopefully Enyaq being larger has fixed this. I just found the interior & UI to be a collection of irritations, and am happy to be back in Ioniq that's got all this stuff right for me. Don't choose a car that's going to drive you up the wall! :) :eek:

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
Hi OP - have a play with abetterouteplanner.com

I’d be inclined to go for the Enyaq myself, make sure it has the fastest rapd charge option ticked (it indeed that’s not standard) and then I expect it will be better the tool for the job of transporting you to across Europe.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
ID.3 can have towball type fitting that takes a bike rack for 2 or 3 bikes, can also fold them down nicely so you can open the tailgate with bikes still clamped on. Weight limit is either 55Kg or 75Kg, both figures have been mentioned. ID.3 can't tow a trailer though.

ID.4 has trailer-towing ability, and surely can have the same bike-rack carrier on the back. Enyaq must also, I would think.
Carrying bikes on a rack at the back must surely have less impact on range than putting them up on the roof.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
442 Posts
I've recently bought an E-Niro and it is an excellent car having come from a Mercedes C Class, a already mentioned the boot on the Enyaq is larger, however the boot on the E Niro does have three levels, check out the YouTube video on increasing it's capacity, though you will still not get bikes inside, but I'm not sure you would in the Enyaq, both have the options to increase size with seats down of course. If you are used to buttons then everything on a screen can be annoying so that is something to consider the E Niro is good in that respect, living with a car is different to a test drive and since you are going to have it for 4 years choose carefully. If the 100 mile trips are 100 each way then you should be fine in the E Niro, I think the Enyaq is less efficient, and as said is 'new' whereas the E Niro has been proven of a few years.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
Thanks all! We usually put our bikes on a rack attached to the tow bar. I guess you can still do that on an EV? Or maybe we need to look at roof racks.
Yes, the Enyaq can have a full tow bar fitted, so bike racks won’t be an issue. It’s more than the pull out load hitch on the ID.3 so weight limit is higher.

To be fair, I haven’t seen an Enyaq in the flesh, few people have, but from the video reviews I’ve seen it looks to be a similar user interface software wise as the VW ID models, which will be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences.

If you’re new to EVs, a different user interface will be all part of learning a new way of driving anyway.

The buttons versus screens thing has already been mentioned, what hasn’t been are the shortcuts for some of the drawbacks highlighted. The ID models, and I’m guessing it will be the same for the Enyaq, have various UI short cuts, like tapping two fingers on the buttonless temp slider switches on heated seats and tapping again varies the setting. They’re things you’ll learn once you’ve spent some time in the car and will become second nature.

Everything I’ve read points to the fact that the e-Niro will be better on efficiency and range than the MEB platform the Enyaq uses, but size and space differences have already been pointed out, which is more than something you get used to, as it’s fixed. Be sure that you’ll all fit, along with your stuff.

Are they the only 2 EVs on the list?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The buttons versus screens thing has already been mentioned, what hasn’t been are the shortcuts for some of the drawbacks highlighted. The ID models, and I’m guessing it will be the same for the Enyaq, have various UI short cuts, like tapping two fingers on the buttonless temp slider switches on heated seats and tapping again varies the setting. They’re things you’ll learn once you’ve spent some time in the car and will become second nature.
I think the Enyaq has some physical buttons ( :eek: ) instead of the touchy slidey things that the IDs have. You can see them just under the front vents here:

No idea what they do though - I'd guess heating and suchlike.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
I think the Enyaq has some physical buttons ( :eek: ) instead of the touchy slidey things that the IDs have. You can see them just under the front vents here:

No idea what they do though - I'd guess heating and suchlike.
Yes, it looks like an interesting balance of screens and physical buttons!

My ID.3 is on the brink of going too far on the buttonless front I think, the wife’s Tesla goes too far for me.

Both work fine though, once you get used to them.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Yes, it looks like an interesting balance of screens and physical buttons!

My ID.3 is on the brink of going too far on the buttonless front I think, the wife’s Tesla goes too far for me.

Both work fine though, once you get used to them.
My main complaint is that I need to take eyes off the road to find where to prod - especially since the buttonless heating controls on my GTE are very low down. In the old car, I could run my finger across and count buttons to find the right one. In the new one, running my finger across to find the right place to prod randomises my settings and causes all hell to break loose. Stick them up closer to eye level like in the IDs and I probably wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked at a Niro PHEV when moving from a Volvo V60, but the boot was tiny in comparison. I also thought it was quite an ugly car - but everyone's tastes are different (fortunately).

I too am considering the Enyaq 60 for my next company car. It's not due for a change until December, but I've already got my login for looking at options.

If I were going down the route of the iV80, with a lot more outlay for arguably much better range, I'd probably hold on a bit and wait for the EV6. That will have bags of room and likely be more efficient than the Enyaq. Also, it may have much higher feature spec as standard than the Enyaq, resulting in lower outlay. Then, there's the Nissan Ariya....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your replies. You’ve certainly raised some points we hadn’t considered.

i think we are leaning towards the Enyaq. I just wish we had a better Idea of real world miles. Like you’ve all said, the Kia seems fairly reliable with what it says it can do (obviously all variables considered). We are nervous of the risk of signing up to a car that says it can do 256miles then finding we can only get 195 out of it.

im interested in the charging rate that’s been mentioned. Faster charging when on a long drive would make a big difference to us. I hate stopping so it’s going to be a big learning curve!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are they the only 2 EVs on the list?
There is a few others but all are either smaller or do far less miles. We could have a Tesla Model 3 if we pay to go up a couple of grades (about £150/month) but it’s got similar miles to the two we are looking at and a smaller boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are nervous of the risk of signing up to a car that says it can do 256miles then finding we can only get 195 out of it.

im interested in the charging rate that’s been mentioned. Faster charging when on a long drive would make a big difference to us. I hate stopping so it’s going to be a big learning curve!
You'd probably need the wind behind you on a warm sunny day and staring at the back of a lorry your whole journey to get near 195 miles of range.

You'd defo need to go for the higher speed charging option. You'll probably kick yourself later if you don't. What would it be, £400 over 4 years...?

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
531 Posts
i think we are leaning towards the Enyaq. I just wish we had a better Idea of real world miles. Like you’ve all said, the Kia seems fairly reliable with what it says it can do (obviously all variables considered). We are nervous of the risk of signing up to a car that says it can do 256miles then finding we can only get 195 out of it.
To give you some idea on range my ID3 is rated for 260 miles or there about a WLTP we drove from Beverley to Halifax and back a round trip of 151 miles last week and got back with 35 miles on the GOM. So total range of 185+ miles from full on mainly motorway with some 50-60 mph before hand, it was snowing and cool though. Summer time I think 200 should be doable easy but not at fast motorway speeds.

EV database gives a good idea on range it's probably a little pessimistic but well worth looking at. Also check out Tesla Bjorns range tests. But my rough rule of thumb is half WLTP to give you the worst expected range in freezing, stormy weather going up and down hill with a full car assuming of course you slow down in such weather if you drive like a loon all the time then expect to stop frequently 😆

Reactions: rikdud
1 - 20 of 96 Posts