Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2021 Kia Soul EV.
Are there any dangers to human health if I rest or even sleep for 6-8 hours in my EV while it is charging at a Level 2 AC charging station?
Are there any harmful magnetic or electrical induction fields created, for which EV manufacturers haven’t sufficiently insulated the EV?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Are there any dangers to human health if I rest or even sleep for 6-8 hours in my EV while it is charging at a Level 2 AC charging station?
Since the high voltage system will be energised and the charging system will be producing heat there is a slightly increased chance of fire. Some EVs have spontaneously combusted, even when not charging, but it's very rare.
Personally, for peace of mind, I'd get a domestic smoke alarm and just put it on the dash while I slept.

Are there any harmful magnetic or electrical induction fields created, for which EV manufacturers haven’t sufficiently insulated the EV?
No.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,830 Posts
I drive a 2021 Kia Soul EV.
Bjorn Nyland (TeslaBjorn on Youtube) does this all the time in his test videos. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I what have thought you'd effectively be sleeping in a Faraday cage anyway (but my physics theory is a bit rusty).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’d be interesting to know about possible EMF deflection differences between Tesla and other EVs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the high voltage system will be energised and the charging system will be producing heat there is a slightly increased chance of fire. Some EVs have spontaneously combusted, even when not charging, but it's very rare.
Personally, for peace of mind, I'd get a domestic smoke alarm and just put it on the dash while I slept.

No.
The smoke detector suggestion is a great one... unless I don’t fear disappearing in the Rapture as a puff of smoke. ;)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
It’d be interesting to know about possible EMF deflection differences between Tesla and other EVs.
Forget EMF. The only AC is the feed from the mains and the general 50/60Hz knocking around is far more than you'll get in your car. The rest is DC - it might throw your handheld compass off but that's about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts