Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember watching a video by Bjorn Nyland where he slept in the kona he had. (of course he's done several sleeping in EVs.) One question is has anyone else slept in their car. My reason for asking is in these days of isolation, sleeping in your EV makes more sense. You can more easily travel long distances and stay isolated, even if you need to travel overnight!

We've always been in the habit of putting sleeping bags in our car over winter. Now I'm thinking about putting in an inflatable to sleep on. Not necessarily perfect night's sleep. But isolation could be key to surviving.

(btw I have no overnight trips in mind.)

·
Registered
452 Posts
In the Kona no, I imagine it is a bit short really. Two cars ago I had a Mondeo estate which I slept in a couple of times travelling through France with my then girlfriend (now wife). We prefered to get the bivi bags out and sleep near the car, but if it was really hammering down we climbed on top of all the camping equipment, wasn't very comfortable.
Now we are older richer and have kids in tow, we use hotels. (Obviously in the current state of affairs we're not making any long journeys)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember watching a video by Bjorn Nyland where he slept in the kona he had. (of course he's done several sleeping in EVs.) One question is has anyone else slept in their car. My reason for asking is in these days of isolation, sleeping in your EV makes more sense. You can more easily travel long distances and stay isolated, even if you need to travel overnight!

We've always been in the habit of putting sleeping bags in our car over winter. Now I'm thinking about putting in an inflatable to sleep on. Not necessarily perfect night's sleep. But isolation could be key to surviving.

I have slept overnight in my car on numerous occasions. It's not the best as you'll always end up cold. (maybe just me ). You will need to leave a window open a little otherwise there will be a lot of condensation in the car. Good luck. wrap up warm.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have slept overnight in my car on numerous occasions. It's not the best as you'll always end up cold. (maybe just me ). You will need to leave a window open a little otherwise there will be a lot of condensation in the car. Good luck. wrap up warm.
I remember Bjorn used his "mattress" that he had bought for his Tesla M3, which fitted the Kona pretty well. Not sure it was the kind of mattress for my taste... Being in Norway he also goes to the nth degree on window protection as well. in a tesla M3 he even did a night at -36 degrees!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember Bjorn used his "mattress" that he had bought for his Tesla M3, which fitted the Kona pretty well. Not sure it was the kind of mattress for my taste... Being in Norway he also goes to the nth degree on window protection as well. in a tesla M3 he even did a night at -36 degrees!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've done this - had an unpleasant awakening when a policeman rapped on the window in the middle of the night. Strange experience, he seemed happy enough to head off and leave me to it once I'd explained myself - not sure what he expected? By the way this wasn't a suburban street, but in a safe location on an unclassified road in the Highlands.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've done this - had an unpleasant awakening when a policeman rapped on the window in the middle of the night. Strange experience, he seemed happy enough to head off and leave me to it once I'd explained myself - not sure what he expected? By the way this wasn't a suburban street, but in a safe location on an unclassified road in the Highlands.
Probs wanted to check you weren’t some drunken sot who passed out....you would still technically be in charge of the car and could therefore be charged ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Probs wanted to check you weren’t some drunken sot who passed out....you would still technically be in charge of the car and could therefore be charged ;)
Yes - interesting one that - what if I were legally / safely parked up in my campervan and had enjoyed a glass or three of wine before turning in? No different really...but sure it would be treated in a different manner.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes - interesting one that - what if I were legally / safely parked up in my campervan and had enjoyed a glass or three of wine before turning in? No different really...but sure it would be treated in a different manner.
technically even in a camper, if you are not at a “proper” campsite, you could be held liable for being drink in charge, AIUI.
Not too likely to face any issues,I would say, unless you failed a sanity test (eg, started ranting or swearing at a policeman checking on you!!)

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have napped in the back on occasion. By putting the passenger seat forward as far as possible and filling the gap behind it with a large cushion, I am able to get my 5'10" frame in a reasonably comfortable position if not fully stretched out. I used to quite enjoy a bivouac in the back of the Prius, but the Kona is really too cramped for a proper night's sleep.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
A bit like comparing someone carrying a work knife in their van, and someone carrying a knife in violent urban area.

It's the intent that is subject to the law, not always the act.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Reactions: Gadget Geek
1 - 20 of 26 Posts