Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely blue Leaf has lost a bar.
Just coming up to 47k miles, never worried about charging to 100% in the drive, do very little in the way of rapid charging (but still see it as an essential element of ev ownership) do like to put my foot down on occasion and show off.
I will just have to keep an eye on things.
However I did purchase two years ahead of retirement and viewed the car as possibly the ideal vehicle for then. I will just have to stop more often, which is more frequent these days anyway.
My doctor says, as a general rule, the time it takes you to do a pee should be shorter than the interval between needing to do another pee.
I just hope it doesn’t come to that with charging my lovely blue Leaf.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Ah never. Do you have leafspy to connect to your car to see the battery stats. Will be interesting to see.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
My lovely blue Leaf has lost a bar.
Just coming up to 47k miles, never worried about charging to 100% in the drive, do very little in the way of rapid charging (but still see it as an essential element of ev ownership) do like to put my foot down on occasion and show off.
I will just have to keep an eye on things.
However I did purchase two years ahead of retirement and viewed the car as possibly the ideal vehicle for then. I will just have to stop more often, which is more frequent these days anyway.
My doctor says, as a general rule, the time it takes you to do a pee should be shorter than the interval between needing to do another pee.
I just hope it doesn’t come to that with charging my lovely blue Leaf.
What age is your Leaf Richard?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sorry to hear that Richard. Have you noticed any drop in range since new?
I am quite cautious and usually only charge to 80% except when I need that extra range, although I have no idea how the previous owner treated my LEAF.

·
Leaf lover
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear that Richard. Have you noticed any drop in range since new?
I am quite cautious and usually only charge to 80% except when I need that extra range, although I have no idea how the previous owner treated my LEAF.
hard to say because I have been doing lots of short trips since the start of the year and I have many been in the habit of pull in and plug in.
on the Transport Evolved site there is full battery change video (under warranty) and I saw that when you charge to full with a diminished battery the range quoted is not going to be what you will get. So if on start up it says 80 you will get say 60 if your battery is down 25%.
my Leaf is March 2011

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
no leafspy, don't even know where to start such things.
If you have an android device it's fairly straightforward. If your interested I can talk you though it. You will need to buy a Bluetooth device though which is £5-10

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't think you can use the range on start up to gauge your battery state in any way. Range on start up is very much an estimate and based on a whole host of things and can vary hugely even with a new battery.

As for not actually getting the start up range... I have never got the start up range since new in 3.25 yrs and 30K miles of driving. The start up range is pretty irrelevant IMO as to how far you can go or as an indicator of battery state.

·
Leaf lover
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you can use the range on start up to gauge your battery state in any way. Range on start up is very much an estimate and based on a whole host of things and can vary hugely even with a new battery.

As for not actually getting the start up range... I have never got the start up range since new in 3.25 yrs and 30K miles of driving. The start up range is pretty irrelevant IMO as to how far you can go or as an indicator of battery state.
oh, yes I am very use to the variance of the start up range and how half a mile up the road I've lost 5 miles.
my point is that if I am correct the range at any time has to be discounted by the percentage lose of battery life.
I will try and make sense of what I am saying once I start to get my head around the matter.

·
Leaf lover
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have an android device it's fairly straightforward. If your interested I can talk you though it. You will need to buy a Bluetooth device though which is £5-10
thank you for the offer but have no android device and only slightly bothered at the moment.
Don't want to develop BDA (bar depletion anxiety).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
oh, yes I am very use to the variance of the start up range and how half a mile up the road I've lost 5 miles.
my point is that if I am correct the range at any time has to be discounted by the percentage lose of battery life.
I will try and make sense of what I am saying once I start to get my head around the matter.
Please forgive me explaining... that was mainly for others less familiar :)

You are correct... a 5% reduction in usable battery capacity would result in a 5% reduction in range, but the start up estimate is not indicative of anything so it will not give you any indication of battery condition. A new battery could read 85 miles at start up and a 3 year old battery with 15% reduction could also read 85 miles at start up so it tells us nothing useful :)

At all times the indicated range is the cars estimate of range so you don't need to do any calculations in your head except that it is just an estimate and not a very accurate one at that. I don't really take any notice of that estimate now. I just use the SOC bars and LeafSpy to estimate my range. As a rough guide I use 5 miles per bar. Seems more accurate than the Guess-O-Meter most of the time!

·
Registered
661 Posts
OK my bluetooth dongle arrived from china.

Leafspy says my state of health is 87% and apparently the first bar loss is at around 84%.

So I will also lose my first bar soon.

@richardglover

However seeing as your car is much higher mileage than mine (25k miles) and is 6 months older I think it is normal ageing of the battery.
I'm not too worried. The max range is still well within my needs and will be for a long time.

·
Leaf lover
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK my bluetooth dongle arrived from china.

Leafspy says my state of health is 87% and apparently the first bar loss is at around 84%.

So I will also lose my first bar soon.

@richardglover

However seeing as your car is much higher mileage than mine (25k miles) and is 6 months older I think it is normal ageing of the battery.
I'm not too worried. The max range is still well within my needs and will be for a long time.
I like people who are comfortable with their cars. It must be the blue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts