Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, I have had a quick search without much luck so apologies in advance if I've missed something.

I'm a two week owner of a 1st edition and have carried out two fast charges whilst I wait for my home charger to be installed. The first charge was at 100kw InstaVolt and the second was at a 150kw Shell Recharge and on both occasions I've not managed to get much more than 41-43kw peak. Both times were from approx 25% so that should be prime terroritry for at least 70kw rates. On both occasions the car had been driven for 15 minutes or so beforehand and ambient temps were 7 to 12c. I was definitely using the right plug and I was the only car attached to the charger so no load sharing going on.

Am I missing something as to why I'm not getting the expected rates? Software version 0564.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How fast were you driving? The battery on the discharge of the ID.3 62 kWh is relatively slow so it's going to take quite a while to warm it up. To get 100 kW charging you probably need to drive at 70 mph for an hour to get the battery warm enough at this time of year.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as fast as that as I live out in the sticks. What do you base that on?

Does anyone else have any similar experiences just to make sure I'm not being over expectant.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've seen a Christian review recently where he took part in ID.3 testing of two cars with and without the heat pump it was just sub zero and at 90 kph the car's battery cooled down slightly while driving, at 120 kph (just over 70 mph) the battery got warmer and it was possible to charge at 100 kW.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
Not as fast as that as I live out in the sticks. What do you base that on?

Does anyone else have any similar experiences just to make sure I'm not being over expectant.
It’s difficult to say as I’ve not tried to rapid charge from cold on a charger more powerful than 50kW so far.

But, I did get very near the 50kW limit after a drive of just a few miles from cold, and battery at a low state of charge.

Last night I drove for about 90 minutes at 70mph to get to a 350kW Ionity, 4c ambient, arrived with about 12% battery remaining and got 100kW straight away. I took 29kW in 20 minutes.

I don’t think it’s a problem with your car, but the battery does need to be in a low state of charge and warm to get the max speeds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so it seems its not just me then. It does seem borderline rediculous that you need to use a third of your battery in one go just so that you can get the advertised charge speeds between autumn and spring.

I think I'll drop an email to VW to see if they have a more official stance on it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It’s not really a VW thing. It’s just an EV thing given the current state of battery chemistry and technology.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
OK, so it seems its not just me then. It does seem borderline rediculous that you need to use a third of your battery in one go just so that you can get the advertised charge speeds between autumn and spring.

I think I'll drop an email to VW to see if they have a more official stance on it.
I see Rapid charging as being for efficient and quick recharging to enable a quick continuation of a beyond range long journey.

The charge rates achieved with a warm battery fits with that use, ie set off with a full battery, cover 150+ miles and then stop for a rapid charge. The act of driving will have warmed the battery up.

I don’t think we should be using rapid charging as the sole means to keep an EV charged up, it’s not good for the battery long term and nor will it hit the maximum charge speed when cold.

I accept this isn’t really communicated well by any manufacturer, but overnight charging at a more modest charge rate should be the norm rather than rapid charging.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be fair, the manual does state to avoid constant DC charging and I do intend on using AC charging once the charger is installed next month but for now, a weekly DC charge will just have to do.

The problem is, like this forum and many others prove, people don't read the manual!

·
Registered
492 Posts
The problem is, like this forum and many others prove, people don't read the manual!
Well, I don't think the manual says anything about not getting the full throughput of DC charging if it's cold outside does it? Or anything to do with the range of the car being less when it's cold either.

I do wonder if less technical people who don't read forums or sign up to locked Facebook groups just end up calling VW to ask why their car only has a range of 175 miles instead of the 260 quoted in the advertising. It's going to be an interesting transition from ICE to EV in the coming years for those who have little or no interest in doing days/weeks of research into the cars they are buying.

(sorry for drifting off topic slightly...)

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
483 Posts
I've just topped up ours up at a local 50kW Pod Point charger after driving a mile or so from cold about 7 degrees outside. I couldn't work out the speed it was charging at as neither the charger or the car tell you, unless I've missed something but the average rate was 38.1 kW and I went from ~46% to 82%

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I don't think the manual says anything about not getting the full throughput of DC charging if it's cold outside does it? Or anything to do with the range of the car being less when it's cold either.
The manual doesn't even state charging rates (that I can see) and is generally written very poorly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tesla's have similar issue with cold batteries. But, when you put in a destination charger the vehicle will heat the battery en-route to allow it to fast charge.

In 4yrs I never had an issue rapid charging the i3 speed-wise. Always got max rate .

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As the ID.3 has a 9 kW battery heater. There's every possibility that VW will add battery pre-conditioning to speed up rapid charging in later software.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's interesting to know. Where did you read that? I'm quite interested in the technical details but finding them a bit thin on the ground.

·
EGGY
1,551 Posts
Couldn't you just use the granny while you wait for your home charger to be installed and leave it on for hours, or does your driving pattern prohibit this ? Do they come with a granny ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Couldn't you just use the granny while you wait for your home charger to be installed and leave it on for hours, or does your driving pattern prohibit this ? Do they come with a granny ?
They don't come with a granny. And at £200+ with only a few weeks to wait for a home charger you can understand why many don't bother

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They don't come with a granny. And at £200+ with only a few weeks to wait for a home charger you can understand why many don't bother
Exactly this. For me it's not an inconvenience at all as these chargers tend to have something else nearby for me to do instead, just a little bit of planning required.

·
EGGY
1,551 Posts
ooof, bit cheapskate. I'm about to trade my BMW i3 in for an ID.3, when I tried the Tesla granny on the BM it didn't work. I would barely use it I'm sure but nice to have the option .... but as you say not £200 nice. They come with a Mennekes cable though ? Or is all this version specific.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts