Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plugged the car into our Podpoint 7kw charger for the first time last night, with the charge window limited to 23:00-6:00. I assumed that would be enough for it to get from 35% to 80% (approx 37kwh to add. 7 hours at 7kwh = 49kwh), however it only got to a meagre 67%.

By my rough calculations that's 26kwh added at around 3.7kwh charge rate. Seems kinda slow.

Anyone else seeing similar?

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
173 Posts
it may be that you are not charging at 7kWh rate.
a. some chargers can have their max charge adjusted to lower than max.

Was it a recent install? (ask the installers what the max charge should be)
Is it a smartcharger? (check the app on the charge rate)

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
It's the same problem on the ID.3. The car guesses how long it's going to take to get to 80% but gets it wrong. I can see a software fix for this in the next update.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the same problem on the ID.3. The car guesses how long it's going to take to get to 80% but gets it wrong. I can see a software fix for this in the next update.
Ah, good to know, thanks!

To answer the other questions anyway: it's the cable that came with the car, and no, it was installed 3 years ago for our Leaf. My first thought was maybe the Podpoint needs an update but what MrPaulus said sounds more likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine took 37.9 kWh last night from my tethered PodPoint to get to 80%. I have the PodPoint beta app and thus use the charger to do the scheduling. It's set to come on 00:30-07:30 each day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The PodPoint app is no longer a beta app. The version you have will be v3.8.0. If it hasn't automatically updated, you should do so.
You're right, I'm on 3.8.0, must have updated since the beta. So, everyone will have scheduling now.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep can confirm it's there in the regular app and my Podpoint appears to support it. Will be interesting to see what happens tonight. Thanks guys.

That said, the in-car scheduling is much more granular so I'll be keeping an eye out for that fix!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just remembered... see ambassador spock's post... "Reduce AC charg. current" option?

From the manual p277...

Reduce charging current, e.g. if several large electrical consumers are operated simultaneously via the same circuit (AC charging). Charging current is 8 A.
This is set as default from what Spock said, and so your charging is reduced on the home charger.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
Just remembered... see ambassador spock's post... "Reduce AC charg. current" option?

From the manual p277...

This is set as default from what Spock said, and so your charging is reduced on the home charger.
Yep, but you can easily turn that off either in the car (charging screen) or in the app. Once off, I haven't had to mess with it at all. It is a nice option to have though - we're driving our ID.4 up to a cottage in the Yorkshire Dales next week, and the hosts have said we are welcome to plug into the 13a socket in there garage. If it looks dodgy at all, I'll set the car to only pull 8a just in case.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If your car is still charging at 3kw after trying the above I have read, on MG forums I think, that it is common for the Podpoint chargers to be charging at 3kw when installed. Don't know if it is a default setting in the charger but the advice is to ring podpoint and get them to switch it to 7kw charging

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, it didn't charge at all last night with scheduling enabled on the Podpoint. Disabled all scheduling and running a charge right now, it's going at "23 mph" whatever that means.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
Hmm, it didn't charge at all last night with scheduling enabled on the Podpoint. Disabled all scheduling and running a charge right now, it's going at "23 mph" whatever that means.
23 mph = you'll gain 23 miles with 1 hour of charging, which equates to a charge rate of 7.3 kW if you average around 3.15 mpkWh. That sounds right for a 7 kW charger.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
23 mph = you'll gain 23 miles with 1 hour of charging, which equates to a charge rate of 7.3 kW if you average around 3.15 mpkWh. That sounds right for a 7 kW charger.
Ah thank you. I noticed that the Podpoint app says I've been charging for an hour and a bit and have added 8.6kWh, so that all adds up.

Problem is I now have two issues! The first one being that the car's maths is wrong when using its scheduler, and the second is that the Podpoint scheduler doesn't appear to work at all. Maybe I can work around the car's issue by setting the desired charge level higher. :unsure:

·
Registered
173 Posts
it's going at "23 mph" whatever that means.
Oh there is such a wind up to be done when people ask what the mph means on a charger.

Lets start... the electrons are moving at 23mph through the cable
or
the car is only capable of driving at 23mph

Oh the list goes on.

Being serious its a useful, yet usless number they started doing.
I prefer the kWh info because it tells me what is actually happening with the electricity. BUT user research on EVs showed that most people want mph because they dont understand electricity and they want a simple measure they do understand... so 'it is how many miles you get in an hours charge'. Because of course the charger knows how may miles per kWh you drive at!

Oh and its consistant with the public chargers... NOT!

As you saw Spock's reply was to convert it back to kWh because that's what we measure! Its like fuel... we put is litres of petrol/desiel we dont want it to tell us how many miles we will be getting if we fill for 1 minute! Oh look we've added 143 miles of petrol! (sorry, just in one of those moods!)

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
You have to disable one or the other schedules otherwise you have a conflict. Either don't set any schedule on your PodPoint or don't set any schedule on your car.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please, rant away! In a similar vein it's always baffled me as to why we put litres of fuel into our cars, but the efficiency is listed as MPG. And don't get me started on our ridiculous mix of imperial and metric elsewhere. At least there's no imperial vs metric version of a kW.

You have to disable one or the other schedules otherwise you have a conflict. Either don't set any schedule on your PodPoint or don't set any schedule on your car.
Yeah I disabled the schedule on the car before enabling the PP one. I assumed there was a problem with the physical connection (the connector is a little "stiff" to get in and out of the Podpoint - really wish I'd got a tethered one instead), but after disabling the Podpoint schedule it started charging without me having to go and re-plug anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts