Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Which would you go for please out of the following two options:

1) new outdoor 3 pin socket on new dedicated circuit for use with the granny charger supplied with my car

2) new 16a interlocked commando socket on new dedicated circuit for use with an aftermarket granny charger

I want to be able to slow charge from my solar. We also have a 7kW Pod Point.

The solar is 6.2kW, so there will be plenty of times that I could charge at 16a for free rather than just at 10a on a 3 pin.

Really, what I want to know is given that both would be dedicated brand new installations, would the commando option be considered “better” (for safety and longevity) than the 3 pin option?

I’m guessing it might be, but then I’d have to buy a 3rd party granny charger or unknown quality rather than use the manufacturer granny charger which is a known quantity and also free as I already have it.

thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you go for the Commando, why would you go for 16A rather than 32A?

If you are on Octopus, why not get the Ohme smart charger for £199 and use the with a 32A Commando?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you go for the Commando, why would you go for 16A rather than 32A?

If you are on Octopus, why not get the Ohme smart charger for £199 and use the with a 32A Commando?
We already have a 32A pod point, I want a slow charging option to charge the car for free on our solar.

The pod point allows us to charge quickly at 5p on Go Faster already.

At the minute it is better to avoid solar charging, as we are paid more to export our solar than it costs to charge on Go Faster.

But, this is changing due to a drop in SEG export payments.

At 10A or 16A, I could charge for free on sunny days. At 32A I would be having to pay for some of the electricity.

So, with the pod point there if needed, speed is not important for this new charger, but instead the ability to go slow and free.

A zappi is never going to pay for itself, I don’t do the miles. So I want a low tech option to take advantage of my solar.

Our company has moved to home working and at most post lockdown it will be a day here and there in the office. So, I can happily graze charge slowly for free from our solar ready for the days I do need to drive.

Also the DNO would probably want a fuse upgrade to have 2x 32A chargers.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,026 Posts
I would take a mid-course economic route and use the provided granny cable, but install a Commando socket to plug into rather than an outdoor 13 amp socket. Commando to 13 amp adapters are readily available. But the Commando wall socket would offer a more flexible long term solution if an aftermarket charger was needed later.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hitstirrer

I’ll have to have a look and see if there are outdoor rated commando to 3 pin adapters.

Sooner or later an EV is going to come along that can tow a small trailer (that I can afford). At that point having an outdoor rated commando to 3 pin adapter would be needed for camping trips. It would need to be a granny charger / car that allowed you to drop the rate of charge to allow for hook ups that are often 10a (so say 6 or 8a charging only).

Surprised there are not more of these boxes available these days.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

A 3 pin socket is much cheaper than a properly fitted Commando which needs an earth rod also.
Interlocked.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links, that first one looks ideal for the adapter / camping.

The commando is the one I had been looking at

I think the rules say if the socket is intended for car charging protection is required whether 3 pin or commando. These days I think they prefer to install an extra box of tricks rather than an earth rod which does the same job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts