Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen slow chrging during the hot weather car was at 31 degress and charging was limited to 1.4Kw rather than the 3.4K the car can accept any one else seen similar behaviour?

·
9,719 Posts
You'd need to know the battery temp but yes charging will be tampered if the battery temp is high - does so to keep the car in the thermal envelope. In respect of the Ampera I would expect it to run the HVAC loop to cool down the battery in that case. It might actually be the charger electronics are hot - not sure if there is active cooling on those on the ampera.

I've noticed both the 2series and Zoe firing up coolant systems under charging this week, the i3 also did this.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Was that on a wallbox? The Ampera will cool both the battery and the on board charger (its water cooled) If the HVAC comes on then the vents in the car blow cold. Never had the charge slow but there again in the last 2.5 years its not been so consistently hot. More like the long hot summer of 76

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a leaf for sure, wall box 7Kw charger, EVSE advertises what it can deliver, car decides what to take so it's down to the car if the EVSE is working correctly. I'll see what happens when it cools off.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
On two occasions my Ampera has got confused and charged at 6A when on 16A point. Both were public and has never happened at home. Was annoying once as charged for 3 hours :( I now often check rate in MGV before leaving car!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Never seen this but I have only recently started using more public chargers. Rest of my charging is on the granny charger as I don't have a proper charger at home or work.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mystery deepens, tonight i checked the coolant tank temperatures for the battery and drive system both 31 degrees
left the car for 15 mins before plugging in the EVSE and hey prsto 3.3 Kw. So not thermally limited.
So no idea why I had 1.4 Kw for 8 hrs charging, either the EVSE said 1.4 is all you can have and the car said OK or the car decided it only wanted 1.4 perhaps 6A was somehow enabled

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
perhaps 6A was somehow enabled
Obviously it should ignore the 6A "portable charger" default when on a 16A point, but there is definitely a rare scenario where it doesn't. I don't know what I did both times it happened to me and have been unable to reproduce.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The protocols allow for the EVSE to set the max current, and the car’s charger to decide how much of that to actually use.
The setting in the config on the more recent Ampera’s only affects the portable EVSE supplied by negotiating with that EVSE to set its own limit (which replaced the buttons on the earlier portable units). I don’t think it will have the same effect on other EVSEs, but mine is 2012 so I can’t prove it myself.
If the car is told by the EVSE it’s connected to that it can’t take more than 6A or 7A or whatever then it must comply. The car can choose to throttle back if it thinks it needs to for some battery condition, but I’ve never known it to find the need. If anything is wrong like a drop in supply voltage, it usually just stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,431 Posts
I've seen slow chrging during the hot weather car was at 31 degress and charging was limited to 1.4Kw rather than the 3.4K the car can accept any one else seen similar behaviour?
What is this power value based on?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,431 Posts
My EVSE has a power display, shows how much the car is using, that was showing 1.4 Kw kW
It had definitely defaulted to 6A then. The only thing hot weather would do is to kick in the AC to power battery cooling, and as it was not drawing the power then clearly it was not because of that.

I suppose it could still be 'hot weather related' - the car got a bit flustered in the heat and forgot what power to charge at!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts