Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
charged my BMW I3 on an Instavolt DC rapid charger today. It would only charge at 26kW rather than 50kW(CCS Combo).
Anyone else had this problem or know why the slow charge?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi,
charged my BMW I3 on an Instavolt DC rapid charger today. It would only charge at 26kW rather than 50kW(CCS Combo).
Anyone else had this problem or know why the slow charge?
I don't know about the i3, but for some cars the charging rate is best for a warm battery and an initial low SOC value.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
The i3 is pretty fast, even at a high state of charge, but yes, battery temp might be the culprit.

A warm day after a long drive will be the best time to charge. But if those things haven't charged much from your usual, it could be the charger at fault.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts
How low a % did you start from?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like the charger then, was it a pair of instavolts and was someone else charging on the other one?
Do the instavolts installed in pairs share DC capacity, like some tesla superchargers do? (e.g. 120kW available if one car charging, 60kW x 2 available if two cars charging)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
611 Posts
Do the instavolts installed in pairs share DC capacity, like some tesla superchargers do? (e.g. 120kW available if one car charging, 60kW x 2 available if two cars charging)
Not sure, probably not all but some may. I have an Ioniq so more than 30kW is a rare and short-lived experience!

Reactions: blueacid

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
The new ones with the larger screens explain they are shared power, and will often manage to go over 50kW if you're alone. The old style Instavolt chargers with the tiny little screens each have their own dedicated 50kW supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts